First water hunt with CTX

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Indian Steve and I went to two beaches on the lake today. I took my CTX and the new Stealth scoop.

That scoop is a beast! I went for the reinforced rod mounting (we dig in mud here), picked up a post hole digger handle - strong, and it floats the scoop upright.

I didn't submerge the CTX, have replaced the o-ring, haven't done the USB port yet. It was the first time I submerged the coil. I found it a constant effort to keep the CTX coil on the bottom. I think I need to look into some sort of weight to keep the coil down.

I still really haven't decided what I'm going to do with the headphone outlet - looks like I need to pick up that connector = references I've seen point me to Europe for the source. I'm not going to scuba, the available headphones with that connection receive low quality sound reviews and do not have individual controls - and they are darned expensive. Frog gave us a solution on this issue which I haven't researched yet.

At the second beach we hit, that sand was heavily tracked and I liked the looks of that. So, Steve used the scoop, and I hit the sand.

I found a total of $0.01 - that's ONE CENT on that beach = aarrgghh!!!!!

At least the tops of my feet are sunburned!

Wouldn't have gotten that sitting here typing!

Upvote 0

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm just giving a word to the wise is all, what you do is your choice.

I know for a fact Minelab is monitoring the forums. A pressure sensor 1/4 the size of a postage stamp can be installed on a mother board for less than a couple dollars that would tell them if the 3030 warranty is being violated.....

You are 100% right TH and I fully share your point of view (almost :laughing9:).

Here's a photo that I took this morning for TNET members showing that "I'm not that kind of guy your mother warn you about" :laughing7:

659178CTX303011ftpoliticallycorrect.jpg

PS : 25°c = 75°F !

I am politically correct with :

- Minelab, only +8% of the max advertised depth
- PADI, I remain in the security zone ... 11ft is not going to explode my life insurance rate LoL
- TNET for showing the good way to go : "only dive in hot water, not too deep with plenty of Air remaining :notworthy: "
"-

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But that is in the kiddie pool...😁

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
But that is in the kiddie pool...��

Tresure Hunter, I try to remain politically correct to become an honorable member of TNET...don't push me like that or I'll post the same photo a lot lot lot lot deeper.... :censored:

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If they watch the forums. Which is a good thing. Shows they care. Then why haven't they done anything to fix the leak problems? Even if they didn't do any design changes...a thicker universal gasket would do it.

Im wondering if the leak frequency is actually as bad as it seems or more isolated. Maybe there is a lot out there that don't have leak problems I don't know.

if I ever need service I will say one thing. I don't need it to be someone's job to deny warranty to easily identify me. I have an email that is not connected for that reason. Any company has that moment and staff to decide "is it covered?". So far I have not heard of one denial of service from minelab. I don't want to be the first.

Hhgl-Joe

I'm just giving a word to the wise is all, what you do is your choice.

I know for a fact Minelab is monitoring the forums. A pressure sensor 1/4 the size of a postage stamp can be installed on a mother board for less than a couple dollars that would tell them if the 3030 warranty is being violated.....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tresure Hunter, I try to remain politically correct to become an honorable member of TNET...don't push me like that or I'll post the same photo a lot lot lot lot deeper.... :censored:

Frog your already an "honorable member" of TreasureNet! [emoji106]

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Medal is not automatic, takes an admin and they don't work on weekends. Its listed as honorable return...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH, teflon tape needs to be wrap 3 times usually.

View attachment 1212582

What ever the number of turns you will be able to make, the flat spot will prevent the tape to waterproof the cap alone.

THE ONLY WAY to waterproof the USB cap is to make it remain firmly locked and pushing the inside rubber which IS the waterproofing piece.

After looking at it again and rereading what you said your 100% correct sir...

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
And in my dreams TH, you're telling me CTX 3030 IS a good diving machine ? :laughing7: ... down to 40/50ft max it does the job, not better then the Excalibur but differently:

We always dive when compatible depth with both machines, then we finish the job with the Aquascan if there is not to much dirt.

NB: only x1 Aquascan for 2 divers is enough as we need 4 arms to dig, dig and dig :laughing9:

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And in my dreams TH, your telling me CTX 3030 IS a good diving machine ? :laughing7: ... down to 40/50ft max it does the job, not better then the Excalibur but differently:

We always dive when compatible depth with both machines, then we finish the job with the Aquascan if there is not to much dirt.

NB: only x1 Aquascan for 2 divers in enough as we need 4 arms to dig, dig and dig :laughing9:

No I am not telling you that LOL, 3030 is rated 10 foot, beyond that violates the warranty..

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Indian Steve and I went to a new park today, and received permits to metal detect there. They told us a lot of people were hitting the beach, only a couple in the water, beginning the day after Labor Day. We were hoping we'd get a virgin territory, so our expectations were a little lower. Also they wouldn't allow us to go in the water without a life guard present. But, we went prepared to detect, so we hit the beach. I finally "came as one" with the CTX, like they talked to me back in the 80's - the sounds. I ran over a lot of targets, thought about what it was and dug very few bad targets. Even those, I just wanted to make sure I was right.

So this park had been hit heavily? I dug 32 good targets with quite a few of them picked with other trash present.

But, the inspiration was - this beach had been heavily hit, and I dug 32 good coins out. I think finally I really appreciate the CTX for the power of it.

My net was $2.56 in clad & rotting zincolns. Some of those quarters and dimes had been in that sand/soil so long they were encrusted in green, and I was hitting them at 8"-10".

We're going back there :) Steve got a bunch of coins, and some junk jewelry. So, there's a lot more laying in the sand there. It's an okay large beach, and the water is clear. We'll find a way to hire our own life guard :)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is always good when your finding green dimes and quarter coins, means there are targets no one is seeing...

Ridiculous when they want let a grown man wade waist deep..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread