Wet or dry sand at the beach?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Low tide, hip-deep in the surf.

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
wet sand, hip deep and low tide is what I like.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am interested in your opinions on searching at the beach.
Do you like the wet sand or the dry sand.
The high tide or low tide line?
All of the above. I hunt where the targets are, not where I want them to be.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I like wet sand slope that leads out to the "muddy flats" at low tide.

If I do hunt dry sand, I like the first 3rd of the beach ( from shoreline up)

Lorraine

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate the dry sand unless you like foil and zincolns!

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Use to be mainly a dry sand person when I first started in 1999 but my good finds went through the roof when I got my first CZ machine and started getting in the water and also hitting the wet sand. Having said this there is an old saying, "gold is where you find it". I've found many gold and silver targets in the dry sand too. The biggest problem with dry sand detecting is you're going to have to dig a ton of trash and there seems to be more competition on the dry sand too. If you get there in the early am you can bet your bottom dollar others have already been pounding the dry sand all night and most just leave the trash there for the next guy:dontknow: so detecting in the dry sand slows you down compared to hitting the wet sand where you'll dig way less trash. To me wet or dry it's all fun but I'd rather hit the wet sand and shallow water:headbang:

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Use to be mainly a dry sand person when I first started in 1999 but my good finds went through the roof when I got my first CZ machine and started getting in the water and also hitting the wet sand. Having said this there is an old saying, "gold is where you find it". I've found many gold and silver targets in the dry sand too. The biggest problem with dry sand detecting is you're going to have to dig a ton of trash and there seems to be more competition on the dry sand too. If you get there in the early am you can bet your bottom dollar others have already been pounding the dry sand all night and most just leave the trash there for the next guy:dontknow: so detecting in the dry sand slows you down compared to hitting the wet sand where you'll dig way less trash. To me wet or dry it's all fun but I'd rather hit the wet sand and shallow water:headbang:
image.jpg Got these finds a week or so ago in the dry sand. The bracelet is 14k gold and weighs 15 grams.

SocalJim

Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
During the summer you can go 100 yards in the wet sand without finding a target and you can't go 10 feet on the dry sand between hits. Sure you get a lot of trash but it's quick and easy sifting unlike the digging in the wet. Then of course in the winter it can be just the opposite. Mark was right on hunt where the targets are don't limit yourself.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found at least 20 gold rings in wet sand/water for every one found in the dry sand..... I rarely hunt the dry sand any more, it just wasn't productive for me..

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If you've ever hit the wet inter-tidal zone after storm erosion, where you can get targets/coins as fast as you care to dig for hours-on-end, you'll never go back to dry sand hunting again.

The only dry sand I hunt nowadays, is a few zones where oldies/silver turns out, if you care to try to push beyond 12" deep for whispers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread