Hydro Man

Aug 19, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000 OBN RPP & GGA
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Got my new NEL Attack wired up to my Excal and took it out to test it out today.

Awesome is all I can say!
I love it!

It comes wired for the Sovereign and there are no instructions for Excal connection so a little technical expertise is required to do it yourself.
You may want go through LIR.

I hunted a very sanded in, fairly clean, fresh water beach waist to chest deep in both PP/AM and DISC.

I played with the sensitivity and ended up using a max sensitivity of 6 (12 O'clock).
I was getting some falsing at 7

The NEL behaves very similar to the stock 10" with regards to tone and stability only with more depth and a monster sweep.
Tones are maybe slightly "looser" than the 10"

Sweep resistance is better than expected, but you do have to slow your sweep a little compared to the 10", which you probably should do anyway with a bigger coil.
Did find it easier to sweep than the WOT though.

The beach I hunted was real sanded in but despite the difficult conditions, “Nelly” did not disappoint!
A little yellow in the pouch!

IMG_20150919_142617.jpg IMG_20150919_142854.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
HM, I have to agree with your comments.... on an "extremely trashy or target rich" beach and/or in an area with grass and weeds....the 15" is not a coil I would choose to use....I'd grab my machine with the 10" on it. However in our present Florida waters with next to no targets, you just can't beat the coverage the 15" gives you. The 15" does not seem any harder to move through the water then the 10".

Very stable in PP at any setting of Sensitivity, in Disc, for my machine 8 seems to be as high as I can go to hunt with in Disc.... but for the quick switch over from PP to check a target higher then 8 will work for target checking.....just not swinging at a higher level. No adjustments are necessary when moving from wet sand to chest deep in the water....this coil is very stable on the Excal II.

Large targets and coin sized targets are easily distinguished between. Not sure if it is my machine or the combo of it and the coil but in PP a shallow target give a signal tone rise (as expected) yet as they get deeper the tone seems to null(drop off) somewhat and I can better pinpoint the target for digging in disc!!!......need to do some testing to see if I'm hearing what I think I am.

Cliff

Sound good Cliff, Thank You.. Now a little question and something I have learned from working and hunting with the Excalibur and being able to swap coils..

And I wish we had some of the old originals around to chime in on this. Like Wire Chief, Eric Foster, or hopefully Carl..

from what I am reading they have detuned the preamp on the coil to allow for hotter settings in a saltwater environment which means you are getting great coverage but loosing

depth on smaller items and

possibly larger targets also to a degree.. But with that being said detuning the preamp would allow for less noise which may allow one to hear the faints which could help in

hearing deep targets..

Cliff can you tell me about the depth...

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Sound good Cliff, Thank You.. Now a little question and something I have learned from working and hunting with the Excalibur and being able to swap coils..

And I wish we had some of the old originals around to chime in on this. Like Wire Chief, Eric Foster, or hopefully Carl..

from what I am reading they have detuned the preamp on the coil to allow for hotter settings in a saltwater environment which means you are getting great coverage but loosing

depth on smaller items and

possibly larger targets also to a degree.. But with that being said detuning the preamp would allow for less noise which may allow one to hear the faints which could help in

hearing deep targets..

Cliff can you tell me about the depth...

Depth...... I had a person tell me their machine got a dime at 30" (PI)....my comeback was you missed it on the first 4 - 5 scoops that was why it was at 30 (unmeasured) inches..... Is there a specific test you'd like me to do with a specific sized target to give a comparison? Also as you know a lot depends on the hunters ability AND equipment/hearing capabilities..... what may be a whisper on your machine to you could be passed up on a machine that has a wavering threshold and an operator with "not as good" hearing or headphones.....

Just from almost two solid years of CTX use and knowing what I can and can't find with that machine then moving over to my Excal II with the Peltor mod to the yellow koss headphones and the NEL coil, I've experienced roughly the same depth as the stock 11" on the CTX (coin sized targets) but with the CTX at 25 sensitivity (or higher) I'm constantly stopping for the small grommets and little metal sequences (sp) that come off some glittery bathing suits..... I HAVE NOT found any of these with the Excal and the NEL coil.... is that a good thing? will I miss the odd gold tooth sized nugget with the NEL? I don't know the answer to that but I could get out to the beach and plant some of that type of stuff for a really good quality test with both machines just to give a better answer....

I don't know if I posted this on any forum but I did sink an 11 gram yellow 14k band at 10-12 inches that the NEL heard in both PP and disc clearly at a sensitivity of 8 and zero disc on the knobs..

Let me know if there is anything specific you'd like me to try.... and if that doesn't work, I'll break it down and send it up to you for you to give us the ultimate answer to the depth question!

I feel like we are stealing the post from Hydro Man...... sorry HM.

Cliff

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hydro Man

Hydro Man

Aug 19, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000 OBN RPP & GGA
Primary Interest:
Depth...... I had a person tell me their machine got a dime at 30" (PI)....my comeback was you missed it on the first 4 - 5 scoops that was why it was at 30 (unmeasured) inches..... Is there a specific test you'd like me to do with a specific sized target to give a comparison? Also as you know a lot depends on the hunters ability AND equipment/hearing capabilities..... what may be a whisper on your machine to you could be passed up on a machine that has a wavering threshold and an operator with "not as good" hearing or headphones.....

Just from almost two solid years of CTX use and knowing what I can and can't find with that machine then moving over to my Excal II with the Peltor mod to the yellow koss headphones and the NEL coil, I've experienced roughly the same depth as the stock 11" on the CTX (coin sized targets) but with the CTX at 25 sensitivity (or higher) I'm constantly stopping for the small grommets and little metal sequences (sp) that come off some glittery bathing suits..... I HAVE NOT found any of these with the Excal and the NEL coil.... is that a good thing? will I miss the odd gold tooth sized nugget with the NEL? I don't know the answer to that but I could get out to the beach and plant some of that type of stuff for a really good quality test with both machines just to give a better answer....

I don't know if I posted this on any forum but I did sink an 11 gram yellow 14k band at 10-12 inches that the NEL heard in both PP and disc clearly at a sensitivity of 8 and zero disc on the knobs..

Let me know if there is anything specific you'd like me to try.... and if that doesn't work, I'll break it down and send it up to you for you to give us the ultimate answer to the depth question!

Cliff

Not at all Cliff!
This is all great info for me, and I'm taking it all in.
Thought I was really getting to know this machine but the more I read the more I realize there is probably more I don't know, than do.
That's what great about this hobby, you just keep learning!

HM

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

Cliff

Very good answer, Sharing experiences we learn in many ways. Many Thanks..:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread