Hydro Man

Aug 19, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000 OBN RPP & GGA
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Got my new NEL Attack wired up to my Excal and took it out to test it out today.

Awesome is all I can say!
I love it!

It comes wired for the Sovereign and there are no instructions for Excal connection so a little technical expertise is required to do it yourself.
You may want go through LIR.

I hunted a very sanded in, fairly clean, fresh water beach waist to chest deep in both PP/AM and DISC.

I played with the sensitivity and ended up using a max sensitivity of 6 (12 O'clock).
I was getting some falsing at 7

The NEL behaves very similar to the stock 10" with regards to tone and stability only with more depth and a monster sweep.
Tones are maybe slightly "looser" than the 10"

Sweep resistance is better than expected, but you do have to slow your sweep a little compared to the 10", which you probably should do anyway with a bigger coil.
Did find it easier to sweep than the WOT though.

The beach I hunted was real sanded in but despite the difficult conditions, “Nelly” did not disappoint!
A little yellow in the pouch!

IMG_20150919_142617.jpg IMG_20150919_142854.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the gold and for hunting with the new set-up. :occasion14:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the report and Big Congrads on the Yellow..WooHoo!!

One thing that concerns me, you hunt fresh water at chest deep and only able to use 6 sensitivity? Wonder if we have any saltwater hunters, outside of the NEL circle that can give us a report on chest deep sensitivity...

Any reports from Cliff...

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Well OBN, as you know each Excal is just a bit different. On my first water hunt at chest deep, I had no problem running just out of manual BUT when switching to Disc it was chatty to say the least....Just like using an Excal when you change headphones (tones change etc) you have to re-learn the machine a bit. With the 10" in PP I could normally questimate whether the target was iron or Ferrous just by the rise and fall of the sound....quite like using a single tone PI (sand shark). I was out hunted by both a 10" Excal and a 8" CZ-21 on that hunt.....but no gold was found by anyone on that trip. Back out today on a familiar beach and will be able to make a better determination of the big NEL. Dewcon and I are hunting together, hopefully we can compare live targets some more. On the first hunt, Dewcon had a few whispers located and the NEL heard them easily..... I sunk a nickel at 12" then NEL could hear it and I would have stopped for it..... the 10" Excal heard it slightly BUT Dew said he wouldn't have stopped for the signal..... that was wet sand and I had the machine at max sensitivity (just out of auto) at the time.
I do like that it is EASIER in the water then the CTX with the stock coil and a full one pound lighter then the CTX too!
Pinpointing is not as hard as I thought it would be.... center of the big coil is where the target is... When I can't see the coil, I put my heel at the back of the coil and move the coil....lower the toe of the foot and plant the scoop.....worked good for me. Taking the snorkel today to better SEE what is going on down there with the target and pinpointing.
More later don't want to make Dewcon wait for me.....

OP
OP
Hydro Man

Hydro Man

Aug 19, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks for the report and Big Congrads on the Yellow..WooHoo!!

One thing that concerns me, you hunt fresh water at chest deep and only able to use 6 sensitivity? Wonder if we have any saltwater hunters, outside of the NEL circle that can give us a report on chest deep sensitivity...

Any reports from Cliff...

Should mention that I was hunting mostly in discriminate with the max sensitivity of 6, I didn't really see how far I could push it in PP/AM.
Going out today again so I'll try more work in PP/AM.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Cliff and Hydro. The main thing is in the saltwater chest deep, if it can handle high sensitivity in that it could be a winner. Wetsand I think the 13 ULT maybe able to hang with the big NEL. But the 13 goes crazy after about 15 inch's, submerged in the saltwater.

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been running mine just out of auto in pp/all metal up to my neck and the NEL has proven itself to me as the 15" coil of choice out in the surf.
It pulls some deep targets here in South Florida which we need most of the time.

One thing it's shown me is,
That my 720i is a great match.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe..... on my testing down here, the 13 is a killer big coil in the dry sand...... but the closer you get to the surf the more the 10" can compete. You have to back off the sensitivity and that looses you a lot of depth. Now, the NEL doesnt seem to do that. I mean if you can keep a big coil in disc running at 12 oclock smooth you know its going to be hot. It doesnt seem to loose a lot of sensitivity to smaller targets either...... big plus. It did react wierd on one nickel..... it nulled on a really deep one.

Well we did our hunt. You want to tell Joe how well that coil went. right out of the car.:censored: got to rag on you buddy. I can tell you one thing its hard to keep up with a person taller than you and with a huge CTX coil. Fun day thou.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
I have never felt i was going deeper, find more or gain time with a larger coil in the surf.

I prefer 8" in the surf with excalibur ...and I have to avoid that CTX 6 is a killer ;-)

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice!! Congratulations!!:hello2:

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Hunted a beach pier area today with historically high EMI. The 15" NEL Attack coil gave me very little EMI feedback. One more reason to like the NEL...

OP
OP
Hydro Man

Hydro Man

Aug 19, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Well OBN, as you know each Excal is just a bit different. On my first water hunt at chest deep, I had no problem running just out of manual BUT when switching to Disc it was chatty to say the least....Just like using an Excal when you change headphones (tones change etc) you have to re-learn the machine a bit. With the 10" in PP I could normally questimate whether the target was iron or Ferrous just by the rise and fall of the sound....quite like using a single tone PI (sand shark). I was out hunted by both a 10" Excal and a 8" CZ-21 on that hunt.....but no gold was found by anyone on that trip. Back out today on a familiar beach and will be able to make a better determination of the big NEL. Dewcon and I are hunting together, hopefully we can compare live targets some more. On the first hunt, Dewcon had a few whispers located and the NEL heard them easily..... I sunk a nickel at 12" then NEL could hear it and I would have stopped for it..... the 10" Excal heard it slightly BUT Dew said he wouldn't have stopped for the signal..... that was wet sand and I had the machine at max sensitivity (just out of auto) at the time.
I do like that it is EASIER in the water then the CTX with the stock coil and a full one pound lighter then the CTX too!
Pinpointing is not as hard as I thought it would be.... center of the big coil is where the target is... When I can't see the coil, I put my heel at the back of the coil and move the coil....lower the toe of the foot and plant the scoop.....worked good for me. Taking the snorkel today to better SEE what is going on down there with the target and pinpointing.
More later don't want to make Dewcon wait for me.....

Well consider me educated.
I had my NEL out again waist deep on another cleaner, freshwater beach but this time hunted PP/AM and as Cliff mentioned above I was indeed able to run with the sensitivity just out of auto.
Plus when I knocked it over to DISC it was still actually fairly stable.
I admit I normally enjoy hunting in DISC, but while I was running it hot in PP/AM I came across a target that I got no signal on when I knocked over to DISC.
When I dug it turned out to be a ring!
A junk ring, but it was a bit of an "Ah Haa!" Moment for me.

I also tried it out on a really trashy beach with a lot of weeds.
Well the NEL is impressive, it's still a 15" coil and definitely not the be all end all.
All I can say here is give me back my 10!

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK HM...... now tell us WHY you would prefer the standard? To much to push around, not sensitivity enough........ obviously it impressed you in PP which is why a good many are looking at it seriously. It takes in a lot of material to process especially with the sensitivity level it can handle. Might be a bit much to work with since most places except the bay or gulf have a lot of drift. PPing would surely take some getting used to if it PPs in the center of the coil over the tip....... especially on zincs that move around and can get deep. Id say...... give it some time, dont sell it until its paid for its self....... or get the coil swap ability so you have a choice of coils.

OP
OP
Hydro Man

Hydro Man

Aug 19, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
OK HM...... now tell us WHY you would prefer the standard? To much to push around, not sensitivity enough........ obviously it impressed you in PP which is why a good many are looking at it seriously. It takes in a lot of material to process especially with the sensitivity level it can handle. Might be a bit much to work with since most places except the bay or gulf have a lot of drift. PPing would surely take some getting used to if it PPs in the center of the coil over the tip....... especially on zincs that move around and can get deep. Id say...... give it some time, dont sell it until its paid for its self....... or get the coil swap ability so you have a choice of coils.

Do have coil swap ability Dew.
Just would've preferred the my 10 because of all the trash on this small beach and the targets were so close together that I felt the 10 would have offered much better separation
Also the late summer weed crop was tougher to get around with the 15".
Just first impressions.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Took Ms. NEL into the chest deep salt water for the first time today. Very stable and sensitive to small targets. The best of it: 9-22-15 a.m. South Beach3.png

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Do have coil swap ability Dew.
Just would've preferred the my 10 because of all the trash on this small beach and the targets were so close together that I felt the 10 would have offered much better separation
Also the late summer weed crop was tougher to get around with the 15".
Just first impressions.

HM, I have to agree with your comments.... on an "extremely trashy or target rich" beach and/or in an area with grass and weeds....the 15" is not a coil I would choose to use....I'd grab my machine with the 10" on it. However in our present Florida waters with next to no targets, you just can't beat the coverage the 15" gives you. The 15" does not seem any harder to move through the water then the 10".

Very stable in PP at any setting of Sensitivity, in Disc, for my machine 8 seems to be as high as I can go to hunt with in Disc.... but for the quick switch over from PP to check a target higher then 8 will work for target checking.....just not swinging at a higher level. No adjustments are necessary when moving from wet sand to chest deep in the water....this coil is very stable on the Excal II.

Large targets and coin sized targets are easily distinguished between. Not sure if it is my machine or the combo of it and the coil but in PP a shallow target give a signal tone rise (as expected) yet as they get deeper the tone seems to null(drop off) somewhat and I can better pinpoint the target for digging in disc!!!......need to do some testing to see if I'm hearing what I think I am.

Cliff

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well consider me educated.
I had my NEL out again waist deep on another cleaner, freshwater beach but this time hunted PP/AM and as Cliff mentioned above I was indeed able to run with the sensitivity just out of auto.
Plus when I knocked it over to DISC it was still actually fairly stable.
I admit I normally enjoy hunting in DISC, but while I was running it hot in PP/AM I came across a target that I got no signal on when I knocked over to DISC.
When I dug it turned out to be a ring!
A junk ring, but it was a bit of an "Ah Haa!" Moment for me.

I also tried it out on a really trashy beach with a lot of weeds.
Well the NEL is impressive, it's still a 15" coil and definitely not the be all end all.
All I can say here is give me back my 10!

I can never return to a 10", I tried and just couldn't do it.... Felt like I was hunting with a coffee saucer after using the 15" coils for so many years...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, I'm using my stock 10" backup while my main machine is getting mods. Felt like I was swinging a hockey puck! Just put a 15" NEL Attack on my E-trac. So far, so good, but, still evaluating.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread