OPINION - most jewelry lost at what depth...?

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, so had a chat to a few buddies on the beach about best place to find the goodies...

We agreed that at high tide you're quite limited, but the low tide got us talking about different actions....

So at low tide;

GUY #1 - WADES IN THE WATER AT KNEE / WAIST DEEP THINKING AT HIGH TIDE AT THAT SPOT PEOPLE WOULD HAVE BEEN CHEST DEEP AND LOSING STUFF...

GUY#2 - USES THE LOWTIDE TO PUSH AS FAR FROM THE BEACH AS POSSIBLE (CHEST DEEP) SAYING PEOPLE LOSE MORE STUFF WHILE ACTULLY SWIMMING...

GUY #3 - HUNTS THE WET SAND AT LOW TIDE SAYING PEOPLE LOSE MORE STUFF WHILE PLAYING IN THE SURF....

Any thoughts?

Upvote 0

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Any Thoughts? Yes....I've been at this since buying my first detector in 1970 and have determined the old saying is true...Gold is where you find it. It has and will continue to be found in all three of the cited locations . You just have to get your coil over those goodies and dig away! :icon_thumright:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found way way more in the water than I ever did on dirt - dry sand and wet sand combined
I agree with ColonelDan - its where you find it
I do my best at low tides at my limits - but that is because its the road less traveled
but ive been in Fla, waters and worked all day thru both tides and have done good high in close and low out deep
I know a lot of people just plan their days around lows - most on average may head in about 2 hrs before and hunt 2 hrs after
but on beaches you plan on hitting often - I advise you try and spend the day when you can and observe where everyone goes thru out the day
luckily for me - a lot of my hunts my gal goes and sun tans and we make the day of it - so I may hunt for 4 hrs during a morning tide and
hang out or take a nap - have lunch and maybe jump in during the tide heading back in (this depends on the beach)
we have so many varieties of beaches up here - some go out a couple hundred yrds - others you can barely tell the tide has gone out at all
=like many Carrib. beaches ive been to - some I can barely tell its low or high -
just got to hope to get in a zone - some times you hit it - sometimes you don't
Ive killed it out at low and 5 guys from chest on in got nil - other spots - another 5 guys killed in shallows and ive gotten nil out deeper
my back up is going where others don't like to - heavy rocks - cement bottom - mucky bottoms - coral bottoms
places where others break scoops or cant scoop - recent example is freshwater spot I hit on sun-mon.
finds I found should have been found before me yrs ago- none of the real good stuff was out deep - just in mucky areas where long ago I
heard of hunters break wooden shafts or bend cheaper metal ones in the rocks - I hit one of the main swim beaches here - this lake actually had
tons of rafts and water slides and swim platforms around it in the early 1900s - so it may still be a gold mine in other spots around it down the road
One guy here -that rarely posts - knows what Im talking bout if he reads this post
but what im getting at - many of youre spots may have had similar platforms yrs ago - many beaches may have been bigger than they now are
think out side the box - up here they have been down sizing many spots so they can use less life guards - some swim areas have been taken over by boating or fishing
sometimes you got to do a little research - even if its just experiencing it - hanging out there
GOOD LUCK ALL!

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
I only detect on a sea with almost no tide and little storm. Where you loose your jewel, they remain at the same place, we find some coins of almost 2500 years old next to antique sea ports.
The best depth is for me between 3ft to 6ft deep and/or a magic line around 50ft from the shore...

certman68

Aug 10, 2015
Florida Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
CZ-21
Primary Interest:
I also agree with Colonel Dan. Observe the range of activities that occur at the beach. A young mother is playing with her toddler in less than a foot of water and her ring slips off. Friends are tossing a football in waist high water and a wedding band goes flying off a finger. An older man struggles in waist high water to learn how to paddle board and loses his ring. A swimmer in deeper water loses a watch while practicing for a triathalon. A couple stumbles off the edge of a sand bar and a bracelet is lost as he steadies her arm so she doesn't fall. A toe ring is lost in ankle deep water by a girl collecting shells. An earring is lost when a older woman is hit unexpectedly by a wave.

On and on go the possibilities. Length of the shore and distance out to the point where most people feel uncomfortable swimming are the only limitations I see. Depending on the beach that can equal quite a bit of ground to cover. Whether on not one even gets a signal is yet another issue dependent upon conditions and gear.

To paraphrase Forrest Gump, detecting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Low Tide, hip to chest deep. :occasion14:

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of my freshwater jewelry has been found waist to chest deep water.

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you hunt shallow water and find a ring ... then shallow water hunting is the only way. Hunt deep water and find something ... then deep water is the bomb. Hunt the wet sand ... same deal. Rings are most likely to be found where hunting pressure is lowest ... that's about it.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
The secret to finding treasure is do the time and Learn your beach's habits...

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Anywhere from one to fifteen scoops...[emoji57]

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Most of my good finds have been hip to chest in fresh water. My most valuable was in dry sand (towel line). I am with the majority here on the fact that treasure is exactly where you find it. Research, time, trash, treasure. Did I mention time?:laughing7:

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like Urban Prospector, my best find was in dry sand towel line...you could actually see the flattened area where the towel/blanket was and the ring was off the back edge (probably had been taken off and stuffed in a sock/shoe or something and then fell out when they left or something similar); but, I find many more targets about waist deep, low tide.

-TwoYewts

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Waist deep, low tide...that's where I find the most but I don't think that's where the most is lost...I think its lost pretty equally in all zones of the water...the low tide water can only be hunted on low tide...the rest of the water zones can be hunted at anytime and are.

Last edited:

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
All the gold is in the water. That's a quote from a seasoned pro that got me into the hobby in 2001. He is about 95%. Right imo. I did a ring recovery above high tide line once. I have 38 gold rings this year beyond low tide line.

It it really is where you find it. There's just a much higher probability of finding it where people swim. And ad sunblock to the mix. Jumping, diving, swimming, throwing stuff, flicking water off your hand etc all leads to drops. The high tide recovery I did was the result of sunblock and flicking motion. The guys band slid right off his finger.

I got 5$. The look on his face was worth it. It was funny. Some 300lb lady and her kids had just planted themselves on the drop site. And had the pizza out and soda. Typical. And weren't budging for the guy. That changed when my eyes popped out my head and I raised my voice. Sure as $)&@ the wide load was sitting right on top of it. The lady was pissed at first to move then happy I found the ring for the guy.

Golds where you find it. It's where people were. Human activity. Hhgl-Joe

OK, so had a chat to a few buddies on the beach about best place to find the goodies...

We agreed that at high tide you're quite limited, but the low tide got us talking about different actions....

So at low tide;

GUY #1 - WADES IN THE WATER AT KNEE / WAIST DEEP THINKING AT HIGH TIDE AT THAT SPOT PEOPLE WOULD HAVE BEEN CHEST DEEP AND LOSING STUFF...

GUY#2 - USES THE LOWTIDE TO PUSH AS FAR FROM THE BEACH AS POSSIBLE (CHEST DEEP) SAYING PEOPLE LOSE MORE STUFF WHILE ACTULLY SWIMMING...

GUY #3 - HUNTS THE WET SAND AT LOW TIDE SAYING PEOPLE LOSE MORE STUFF WHILE PLAYING IN THE SURF....

Any thoughts?

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
GOLD is one of the ONLY material that remains intact in Saltwater :thumbsup:

I almost never hunt in dry sand (only when teaching friends), but there is so much dirt in it compared to "dry sand or underwater"! Saltwater helps to eliminate the junk and leave intact the GOLD and partially aluminium, which is the dirt of dry sand...

Soflhunter

Sep 15, 2015
SoFl
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 ~ CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
I have found gold in wet and dry sand...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions