coil size for excal II

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would purchase the Excalibur ll 800 if available!
However, I suspect that a new one would be very difficult to find, as I spent more than one year
and one price increase searching for a used one without luck.
If I remember correctly, one of our sponsor vendors here said they still had a couple of brand new 8" Excals still.
The small field eight inch coil is more sensitive too smaller targets as it covers one half the surface that the large field ten inch search coil. The trade off is you may lose a little depth: 8 to 10 Inch for the small field 8 inch DD search coil, verses 10 to 12 inch for the large field ten inch DD search coil. Even though the surface area under the 8 inch DD search coil is one half of that a ten inch DD search coil, You can still cover a large search area as the smaller search coil can be swept faster since there is less to process. Also, you can run hotter (more sensitive).
That sounds good, but, in reality it's just not true in my experience. I can run my 15" coil wide open, just like my 10". Processor speed is the deciding factor on recovery and sweep speed, not the coil size. To me, the small coil is only an advantage in junky areas or looking for tiny targets. Even that is overrated as I still find jean rivets at 8" with my 15" coil. You can always do as Frogmaster suggests and install an inline connector and try they all.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
However, I suspect that a new one would be very difficult to find, as I spent more than one year
If I remember correctly, one of our sponsor vendors here said they still had a couple of brand new 8" Excals still.
The small field eight inch coil is more sensitive too smaller targets as it covers one half the surface that the large field ten inch search coil. The trade off is you may lose a little depth: 8 to 10 Inch for the small field 8 inch DD search coil, verses 10 to 12 inch for the large field ten inch DD search coil. Even though the surface area under the 8 inch DD search coil is one half of that a ten inch DD search coil, You can still cover a large search area as the smaller search coil can be swept faster since there is less to process. Also, you can run hotter (more sensitive).
That sounds good, but, in reality it's just not true in my experience. I can run my 15" coil wide open, just like my 10". Processor speed is the deciding factor on recovery and sweep speed, not the coil size. To me, the small coil is only an advantage in junky areas or looking for tiny targets. Even that is overrated as I still find jean rivets at 8" with my 15" coil. You can always do as Frogmaster suggests and install an inline connector and try they all.

I have found less than a gram gold targets with my excals and 15 inch coils and the targets were buried, not on the surface... Smallest target to date was .04 of a gram also found gold stud earrings with no problems with the 15 inch coils too...

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
same on my Sovereign & W.O.T. coil

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found less than a gram gold targets with my excals and 15 inch coils and the targets were buried, not on the surface... Smallest target to date was .04 of a gram also found gold stud earrings with no problems with the 15 inch coils too...

same on my Sovereign & W.O.T. coil

Ok Boys Pictures or it did not Happen..:laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok Boys Pictures or it did not Happen..:laughing7:

Your lucky you said that to Me :laughing7: though usually said in Jest,
seeing someone Saying "Pictures or it did not Happen" to members is a Pet-Peeve of Mine"
it's like saying "Liar". :unhappysmiley: any-who ...

Sorry ! this was in the Early 21st Century (pre 2010) when I was still using my Sovereign.
I don't keep gold Finds that long.
But you can be assured I am not Lying.

The W.O.T. will pick up tiny objects. some it is hard for eyes to see.
I gave up on a few targets at an Airplane crash site.
just grabbed a handfull of dirt & put it in my pouch, Because some of the pieces were the size
of a grain of dirt, the same color & the Probe wouldn't pinpoint them.
I think the reason is the DD coil.
I'm not sure a concentric coil would do the same.

DD vs Concentric

https://www.bigboyshobbies.net/double-d-coil-vs-concentric-coils/

Last edited:

Soflhunter

Sep 15, 2015
SoFl
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 ~ CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Your lucky you said that to Me :laughing7: though usually aid in Jest,
seeing someone Saying "Pictures or it did not Happen" to members is a Pet-Peeve of Mine"
it's like saying "Liar". :unhappysmiley: any-who ...

Sorry ! this was in the Early 21st Century (pre 2010) when I was still using my Sovereign.
I don't keep gold Finds that long.
But you can be assured I am not Lying.

The W.O.T. will pick up tiny objects. some it is hard for eyes to see.
I gave up on a few targets at an Airplane crash site.
just grabbed a handfull of dirt & put it in my pouch, Because some of the pieces were the size
of a grain of dirt, the same color & the Probe wouldn't pinpoint them.
I think the reason is the DD coil.
I'm not sure a concentric coil would do the same.

DD vs Concentric

https://www.bigboyshobbies.net/double-d-coil-vs-concentric-coils/

Great article thanks for sharing.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A concentric coil may have a different foot print..... but they are as sensitive if not more so than the DD. Most have been changed due more to that footprint. My Xcal has found .3 grams of gold with a 10" coils and i highly doubt it will find anything smaller. But thats acceptable for my hunting. As far as processor vs coil..... either can make be a big factor in what you are finding. To many near targets, trash or bad mineral and the small coils can be a better choice. PP..... IMO in the water is much easier with a DD coil....... just wiggle the coil toward you and when it disappears its at the end of the coil. Concentric...... well they drive me nuts PPing in the water.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only buy used detectors, which are in good condition, with sufficient transferrable warranty.
It takes a lot of effort, but it is worth the trouble, since I can later resell this used detector for what I t I purchased it for, or more, if it does not work out. As I live in a remote location, it costs me $70 just to insure and ship a failed detector back to the authorized service center for repair. Plus there is down time waiting for that detectors return. Repairs done under warranty are far from being free, when you consider the above costs and down time each time a detector needs to be returned for repair.

As you increase the coil size, the processor has to work harder, as there is a greater volume of soil (trash, targets, mineralization, conductivity) under the search coil which must be processed. As a result you will have to slow down your sweep speed, if the processor speed is not fast enough when hunting in the all metal mode/Pin Point.

This is also true when hunting in the discrimination mode, but the recovery speed becomes more important, as you cannot detect anything while the detector is nulled after detecting iron.

For me the greatest advantage of using a smaller coil size, especially in the water with a wide basket stand up scoop, is that it is easier to retrieve a shallow target with one scoop.

Last edited:

snokid

Feb 2, 2013
Troy, MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Garrett GTA350, minelab e-trac, minelab Excalibur II, minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
after just spending the last 8 hrs in the water today with my 10" I can say go for the 10"
as far are small targets are concerned a fricken no8 lead shot from a 12 gauge at 1' is plenty small enough....
that said I have an 8" 10" and 15" just grab the machine I'm in the mood for.....lol

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I purchased my Excalibur with an 8" coil, mostly for the weight considerations, its a heavy machine. I quickly went to a hip mount to take away the fatigue but then wished I had the bigger coil, I always felt I was missing something so I purchased the coilteck 15" and love it! It was a little scary cutting the wire to install the plug and play coil adapter but so glad I did. I don't feel I am missing a single thing now and my finds have increased. So go big !!!!
Go with an Anderson straight shaft you will love it and the weight is really balanced out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread