Excal 2-Hunt in PP/AM or Disc at the beach?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Options hunting at the beach with the Excal 2- PP/AM or Disc??

If Disc what number?

Sof, if your discriminating at all your discriminating out some gold, especially on beaches....

If your new to Excal use desc, learn the tones. When it nulls re-sweep null from a 90° different direction to see if there's another target there, if not move on.

Once you learn your tones, then you can try the reverse discrimination mod and put your desc/pp on a thumb switch on your handle.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunt in PP/AM. You get a signal, flip it over to Disc. Dead null, pass it by. Any kind of squeak at all, dig it. You'll dig bottle caps, tabs, and lots of foil this way, but, you won't miss those odd jewelry finds or small gold/platinum rings. If you flip to Disc and get no signal at all, just the steady threshold hum, it means the target is deep and you should dig it. Probably deep iron, but you never know.......:laughing7:

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great advice from both above me. I'm in my second season using my Excal II and my finds to date this season are 13 rings only one is gold, 3 sterling silver, the rest are stainless ,10k gf, I've also found a 14K cross best find so far, and LG phone, 7 costume earings, and about $30.00 in clad. But every good find came with its share of garbage so don't get discouraged by pull tabs, bottle caps ect cause every repeatable tone will have you wondering what it is till you unearth it. Good Luck the Excal is a great machine!

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Oh and may I add. Please get a wide and deep digging scoop don't make the mistake I made purchasing a shallow 8 inch deep digging scoop cause when you dig at beaches or lakes a shallow digging scoop can cause a target to bury itself deeper if you don't get it on the first scoop the target can literally bury itself deeper with each scoop with the help of the waves and water until the target becomes out of reach. Yes I plan to get a new scoop for next year.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
For starting out, do as cuda-mark says: hunt in all-metal (aka pinpoint). And then check each one in disc. With the disc. dial all the way to the lowest setting, and just let your ears do the evaluating.

After awhile, you will find yourself strictly hunting in disc. mode. But occasionally, when signals are few and far between, I'd hunt in All-metal, just because it's affords an extra inch of depth.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the remote pinpoint mod, then you can hunt in pp and switch to desc with a thumb switch in your hand grip...

streetglide

Aug 17, 2011
Santa Barbara ca.
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Excal. 800, 1000
Primary Interest:
Here on the west coast I run my Excal on pp mode. Sens. at 6 0r 7 . The trick is, GO SLOW AND LOW. In pp mode you will you will get a slight threshold break on deep targets, remove some sand and check in disc. mode . Keep digging its usually some thing worth keeping or trash. Put your time in and it will pay off. Dig every thing to a point. I recently dug up a 14 k womens bracelet. It sounded like trash ,that i would not normally dig. Some times when its slow on finds I tend to dig trashy sounds more than on productive hunts. good luck Joe

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Fisher1266-/ CZ-20 / Sovereign XS/Excalibur II / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx for the tips ..Im learning my Excal this year and can use every bit of advice ..have to get used to the 10 in. coil ..before I used an 8 in. on the CZ20..Where do most of you run your volume?

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you machine isnt moded with a PP switch, id recommend not a lot of PP hunting switching back and forth. Those switches are plastic and with the small knobs they break or the knob will. You get good with what you use the longest. Personally i prefer the PP mode you hear the raise and can run high sensitivity that you cant in disc with a LOT of falsing. It works better at the surf line as well you just dont notice the coil flip or normal falsing you get in disc. HOWEVER, you have to train your ears to hear weak targets because in PP you are sizing the target more and weaker targets are smaller ones. In disc the tones are a little more modulated...... targets even small ones sound off with higher volume. I also believe the Xcal IIs are tuned a little higher and are more chatty than the Blue Xcals.....so when you switch to disc at full sensitivity you can pick out the target but its not as smooth as the blues.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx for the tips ..Im learning my Excal this year and can use every bit of advice ..have to get used to the 10 in. coil ..before I used an 8 in. on the CZ20..Where do most of you run your volume?
I turn mine all the way up. In fact, one of my Excals doesn't even have a knob on that post anymore! I never change it, so, never got a replacement! :laughing7:

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
first tone you'll learn is the penny tone. Get used to that one!

Vikingblood

Sep 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, good advice here. You guys set your threshold when on discrimination or pin point mode?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine doesn't change flipping between the two. Well, the pitch might, but the volume is the same.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doesn't running in all metal create a tighter field? What I'm trying to say is when running my sovereign in disc I will get pulled toward a target without actually going over it. Happens all the time. While in all metal I really have to be over the target to hear it. Depth vs coverage?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Discrim 0-1 never fails me. heh

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my Excal many times I have a target that it doesn't see in desc mode till I remove couple scoops of sand. All metal is deeper..

I use 15" Coils, I already have coverage I want depth as gold sinks till something stops it...

Use no discrimination, if you use discrimination your discriminating out some gold.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The full potential of Excal will continue to expand as the user becomes more and more familiar with the machine and it's responses. Where you being with this machine will be nowhere near where you eventually end if you put in enough time and study. In the beginning you learn your machine and its responses, in the end these things will become so routine you can usually call your recoveries before they are ever attempted. But as with any machine, when in doubt, dig. :thumbsup:

treasure diver ct

Mar 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only hunt in pp mode if I'm not getting many signals, I find it does go slightly deeper with pp, I also sometimes get my machine to null / dirty hum over iron then if Im sweeping sometimes the normal threshold hold tone will come back without sounding will switch to pp and normally there is a deeper target under the coil, will dig till my disc can sound on that target then I listen if it's good or bad,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread