Wet Suit?

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy All, I've been water hunting in fresh water lakes all summer. I had an aluminum long handle scoop and just upgraded to a Stealth 920 IX Hybrid. It arrived two days ago and I couldn't wait to try it out so I did a quick trip to a swimming hole in a local river that I had never hunted. The lake water has been nice and warm but the river was COLD! I only made it in waist deep and only stayed about 30 minutes. It took a couple of hours before I felt warm again. I have chest waders but don't like the idea of being in fast running water on slick rocks in waders that will fill up if I slip on rocks and go down. Funds are tight, but I am now wondering about getting a wetsuit. I'm completely ignorant on wetsuits so would appreciate any advice. I would really like to get in another month or so of water hunting this year. I'm in southern Virginia near the Blue Ridge Mountains. Thanks Steve

Upvote 0

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
CASPER I'm with you 100%

I don't really detect like you in the wade in cold water, or when I do it the water is warmer in here and 5mm dry suit is enough.

I can also point out something concerning the semi wet suits:

There is a huge difference between a semi wet/dry DIVING suit and 2 part Speargun wet suit. The second one is SO MUCH better in terms of isolation and you can tailor it to have a little hole well placed that will make your hunting more comfortable :thumbsup:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear 7mm boots usually too - up here at least
mine have heavy sole - heavy toe - only really necessary if you are working in hard bottom areas a lot
I hunt in rocks a lot up here and in coral down south and carribean
once again there are 100s of varieties out there - just some examples - I would not go lower than 5mm for cold water
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=cold+water+dive+boots&tbm=shop
you can find close outs and clearances - I pay a little more because I deserve it - just kidding
I pay a little more because I need ones that hold up to my punishment
but I own about 4 different pair
if feet are still cold - you can get dive socks that will add warmth

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
7mm wet/Semi suits will do the job for 4-5H hunt.

How long you will be in the water will be another thing to consider. For instance, in NJ, when the ocean is 35 degrees, I can easily surf for 1.5-2 hrs in a 5/4 with boots/gloves/hood. If I were trying to stay in for 4-5 hours I would need a 7mm or dry suit. So that water temp and duration in is going to be very important.

Also, as someone mentioned, get some spandex compression shorts/shirt to wear underneath. You can get them at walmart or target for like $10 a piece. They will help prevent rash and are 10x more comfortable then you wearing anything else under there

And to add - try some suits on before you buy. If I had to wear a 7mm suit I probably wouldnt go in the water. When I am in my 5/4 I feel like rubber man and its just too uncomfortable. I dont mind 3/2 thickness at all but even the 4/3 starts to bother me, which really decreases my motivation to go out when I have to put it on.

As far as buying used - wearing someones wetsuit is like wearing someones socks or underwear. Many people wear nothing in them and pee in them, sweat in them, create bacteria in them, etc. But to each his own haha. Just compare prices. You can get a new cheap shortie for $25 at sams club and full decent suits for $100. And wash the suit after each use. They start to smell like garbage after a few uses.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all of the great advice and links. I have been educated! Now, to find some money to pay for everything. Thanks Again, Steve

Hydro Man

Aug 19, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000 OBN RPP & GGA
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi Steve,

I hunt up in Canada right from the spring thaw through to fall freeze up.

I use two wetsuits.
A 3mm for summer and 7mm for spring and fall.

The 7mm keeps me warm enough in water right down to 0C even when I'm in the water for three hours but is way too hot once the water warms up, then the 3mm is perfect.
My suits are both the Henderson Thermoprene one piece jumpsuits with back zip.
They're a great bang for the buck suit and I find them surprising easy to get in and out of for a wetsuit.

Henderson Thermoprene 3mm Men's Jumpsuit (Back Zip)
Henderson Thermoprene 7mm Men's Jumpsuit (Back Zip)

The sizing chart was pretty much bang on for me but it's always better if you can try a suit on first.

Also I wear 7mm Henderson Boots and have both 3 & 5mm Waterproof brand gloves.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 3 suits...
Thin suit... slip in... for summer when I will be under water for 1 hour or more.
3mm for cooler weather... 2 piece
7mm complete 2 piece suit for anything cold.

Steve... a 3mm with your waders "should" be fine enough.
5mm if colder than normal person.
7mm if really cold...

BUT... when wearing a suit out of water can be somewhat restrictive... so get one that has stretch in the right places as comfort will be a factor...
I did a few searches for you....
This is a good deal. and a decent suit.

Bare Velocity 5/4mm Wetsuit - Mens

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread