Wet Suit?

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy All, I've been water hunting in fresh water lakes all summer. I had an aluminum long handle scoop and just upgraded to a Stealth 920 IX Hybrid. It arrived two days ago and I couldn't wait to try it out so I did a quick trip to a swimming hole in a local river that I had never hunted. The lake water has been nice and warm but the river was COLD! I only made it in waist deep and only stayed about 30 minutes. It took a couple of hours before I felt warm again. I have chest waders but don't like the idea of being in fast running water on slick rocks in waders that will fill up if I slip on rocks and go down. Funds are tight, but I am now wondering about getting a wetsuit. I'm completely ignorant on wetsuits so would appreciate any advice. I would really like to get in another month or so of water hunting this year. I'm in southern Virginia near the Blue Ridge Mountains. Thanks Steve

Upvote 0

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
How cold does the water get? There are different thicknesses of wetsuits. A 3/2 is made for 60-70 degrees, 4/3 50-60, and a 5/3 or 6/3 for like 30-50 degrees. You will also need wetsuit boots and possibly gloves/hood. A 3/2 fullsuit can be found for $70-100 on the low end. I would recommend getting a suit that has at the minimum Glue and Bindstiched seams.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure of the actual temp of the water, but I swear that I heard a scream coming from my shorts when I got crotch deep. I'm thinking the 4/3 sounds as good as I would need. Thanks steve

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to a divers dive shop for wet suits as they aren't sized the same an you can see the quality. Don't then order online as you'll be disappointed. There are many styles and thickness. I suggest a Farmer John (two piece) and try it on too. Not all LG are the same size. Not to loose either as you don't want water running in and out. Go thick. With a Farmer John you can wear just the jacket or pants depending on the weather. Try on the booties too. You might not need a hood unless you dive.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also suggest a Farmer John. I have 2 of the rear zip/ surfer style suits that are "challenging" for us with rotund body types.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I have friends that use the farmer johns, much easier to get in and out.......... a good choice I think..

Crazy but most of my hunting is around waist to neck deep.. I wear a drysuit all the time now.. winter summer fall spring.... And I do hate the cold, once that water temps starts to hit the 60's I really go winter gear..I might be a big wuss when it comes to cold water...but I like enjoying my time and being comfortable.. just finished my back up winter drysuit.
DUI 350 XL so I can bundle up with some heavy duty boots for the cold 35 degree waters, and a dryglove system......
ebay 238.oo used and XL so I know it fits, dryglove system 100.oo and boots cut off a set of waders, 200 thinsulation..free......
. OBN0338.jpg

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Indian steve, the replies you've got so far rely on "what temp. is the water?", as you see :) And the reason for this is that you DON'T want to end up with a thickness that's too thick for the water temp. Because if you do, you will be hating life, roasting away there. So get it only as thick as you need. As for your crotch "screaming", at the first splash/entry, don't worry about that: because after the water enters into the suit (an initial shock) it all gets to body temperature quickly. I can't imagine needing a very thick guage suit for any lake (unless there's ice-flows floating around on top).

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been hunting lakes with warm water but have found several good looking swimming holes on local rivers. The wet suit would be for the river hunting and the river was much colder than the lake that I have been hunting. I can't swim so neck deep is as deep as I go. I do have a floating sifter roped to me so if I step into something too deep, hopefully I won't sink. I'm 61 and my big chest, shoulders and arms slipped down to just above my beltline a few years ago so front zip sounds best. Thanks for all of the info so far. steve

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
I have friends that use the farmer johns, much easier to get in and out.......... a good choice I think..

Crazy but most of my hunting is around waist to neck deep.. I wear a drysuit all the time now.. winter summer fall spring.... And I do hate the cold, once that water temps starts to hit the 60's I really go winter gear..I might be a big wuss when it comes to cold water...but I like enjoying my time and being comfortable.. just finished my back up winter drysuit.
DUI 350 XL so I can bundle up with some heavy duty boots for the cold 35 degree waters, and a dryglove system......
ebay 238.oo used and XL so I know it fits, dryglove system 100.oo and boots cut off a set of waders, 200 thinsulation..free......
. View attachment 1215675

Serious detecting OBN!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Gold beats Silver... So they say, lost again...but I walked away with the Gold :laughing7:

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just to add - when you try them on, its supposed to be snug. Not too tight like cutting off circulation but not loose either. I would try on both dive and surfing type suits and multiple brands. I know that I am either M or MT depending on the brand. If you can find a shop near you they will be able to help you out. Not all wetsuits are the same - there is different types of stitching, flex, etc.

I personally get lower end ones because I surf and need a new one at least every year because I tear them apart and the higher end ones do not withstand my wear and tear any better. I do make sure the stitches are G&B though. Find out the water temp and figure out what kind of suit you need. For instance, if you get a high end 3/2 for like $300+ you can wear that in 40/45 degree water and be just fine. If you get a low end 3/2 you probably cant wear it below about 60 degrees. So when you get a thicker suit you sacrifice flex, meaning it will take more energy/effort to walk, swim, etc. So think about that stuff when doing your research. I personally like Hyperflex suits because they are high quality as any surf suit and are usually significantly lower priced.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Raid thrift stores for wetsuits! I can usually pick up a fullsuit for around $25 when I can find them. Lots of shorties out there though.

I wear a thrift store suit when mining. The suit was a beavertail/highwaist pants model, and I just wear the pants. For higher submersion I go with a full jumpsuit. Boots are a must to prevent both leaches and zebra mussel cuts. I wear wetsuits all the time in freshwater as locally we can have algae blooms. A wetsuit can be a lifesaver in an algae bloom as it can seriously reduce exposure to neurotoxins from the blooms. I worked clearing weeds with a waterjet during a light bloom and had numbness from the toxin in both hands. Everything the suit covered still had feeling.

And screw the feminazi idea that guys can't wear Speedo's! It's what works under a wetsuit!

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve - I dive Minnesota lakes all spring/summer/fall - I use a 7.6.5 Wetsuit. 7 Mil for the core, 6 for the arms and legs and 5 for the wrist, ankles and neckline. The water temp fluctuates from just above freezing to around 80 in the middle of summer. When the water temp is anywhere below 65 degrees or so, I add a front zip 7 Mil. "core" wetsuit over my regular one. This combo works great and I am very comfortable and can move around with ease.
Hint: If it's a cold day and cold water - Bring a "cooler" with hot water. dawn your wetsuit and pour the hot water into the neck area and let it cover your whole body.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out Casper's link - very good suit for a great price!!!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out Casper's link - very good suit for a great price!!!
I paid that for mine about 10 yrs ago - no need to spend a fortune - specially if you don't know if you will like it
plus I like that I can wear 1 piece or the other or both depending on conditions - I hunt New England waters in Jan.-Feb. with mine and usually get tired before I get cold -
but gotta get good boots and gloves - hood is optional - I tried a hood and did not like it
but our body heat is lost thru head,hands and feet - so need to protect them the most
if you need help finding some good cold water boots and gloves - just ask

Last edited:

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with Casper concerning the use of Wet/Semi dry suits.

I don't like dry suits and only use them when I have to dive for >3H very deep = cold water. 7mm wet/Semi suits will do the job for 4-5H hunt.

The use of dry suit is a complete other story and need to be test before been bought.

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PEOPLE OVER THE YRS HAVE SAID IM CRAZY WEARING A WET SUIT - TO EACH HIS OWN
WHEN I WAS YOUNGER - I HEARD OF 2 GUYS DROWING WEARNG WET SUITS AND ONE ALMOST DROWING
I ALSO HAVE A PROB WITH WADERS - HEARD OF A COUPLE GUYS DROWING WHILE DETECTING WEARING THEM
WHERE THEY KEPT PUSHING THE LIMIT - GOT SWAMPED AND COULD NOT GET OUT OF THEM AND SANK OVER THEIR HEAD AND DROWNED
HEARD OF GUYS FISHING DROWNING TOO - STEPPING IN A HOLE THEY COULDNT SEE AND FILLING UP - MY FATHER DID THAT AND
WAS LUCKY HE WAS ABLE TO SLIP OUT OF THEM - SCARED THE CRAP OUT OF HIM
WHAT EVER YOU DO - TRY TO BE COMFORTABLE AND ALWAYS TRY TO BE SAFE

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear 7mm gloves - you don't see 7mm ones much but you can do google search for them - mine are Kevlar -if you feel you need them
I think more guys wear 5mm - would not go any less in cold water
you can search for other sites and find close outs and clearance - but here is a site with examples
Scuba diving gear Gloves Dive Cold Water at Scuba.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread