Need advice on fresh water swimming hole....

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I came across this once popular swimming hole, complete with swing rope. Still in limited use. Please click above video.
It is a very hard to get to spot (very steep gorge).
Looking at it, it's impossible not to envision years of gold jewelry that were lost and deposited here. Not quite visible in video is "seats" that would under a small falls when water is flowing in the summer. washing away the chains....
When I first came across it a few weeks ago, I walked around and it looked like it was only a few feet deep at the deepest. We have been in a little more that typical drought in the area, so I thought now was the time to take on this project.

I hiked down in there, but once I walk out into the water, I see it's about 5-6' of crystal clear water still there in the middle.

How do I detect this? Snorkeling would be difficult at that depth with nothing but an AT Pro, wouldn't it?
Do I need some scuba to do this right? Even the depths above three feet are problematic.
Sand scoops are worthless, as the top has 2" to 4" rock (single layer) with gravel underneath. In the spots I checked, gravel was only an inch or two thick, with flat rock underneath. About half of the bottom is exposed large flat rock.

I know this is beginner stuff, but I'm a land relic hunter. This type is new to me.
In the shallower edges, I used a 3 gallon pail, with holes drill in bottom for a screener, scraping gravel by hand into bucket. Only found some slag.

Waterproof pointer and snorkel it maybe?? I don't think I could stay down long enough.

DSCN8289.JPG DSCN8288.JPG

Upvote 0

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would hunt it before next years snow melt.

Ccarson

Dec 20, 2014
El Monte,Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt pro,surf pi pro,trx pinpointer
Minelab eureka
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U can try pumping the water out or a hookah system for air.

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Would the AT Pro be OK completely submerged like that?

sexton

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could not image dropping from a rope swing into that. I wish we had places like that here in Florida with no gators around.
Good luck on your swimming hole

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the AT pro will be fine full submerged...make sure all ur connector are tight and flush....shorten the shaft and have some fun...good luck!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Make sure you take someone with you, exploring is great but around water you must be prepared for the worse.

Have a friend? that has been telling me about a place his dad use to go swimming when he was growing up, a fairly larger older town here in Maryland, and this was like the local swimming hole.

For the past 5 years I have bugged him about the location over & over and told him we had to go hunt it.. Just yesterday I got a text from him telling me one of his fishing buddies went in and

pulled a bucket of silver out of there... Well I'm going to text him again right now and see if he will share the location because I know there has to be tons of goodies left........... friend?

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could not image dropping from a rope swing into that. I wish we had places like that here in Florida with no gators around.
Good luck on your swimming hole

We do have some, but not without gators at least somewhere in the area! I worry more about cottonmouths than the occasional gator I see before diving or snorkeling.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd start with the mask and snorkel to see what's there. If you start finding good targets out toward the deep section, I'd then decide on hookah (if you're not scuba certified) or scuba if you are. As OBN mentioned, bring a buddy that can help you should you get in trouble. Your ATP is rated for 10', so, it should be good if you use some waterproof headphones and verify all the seals are good.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id use a small tank with a kayak rig - hookah to much and cumbersome to carry in
if you have full scuba - use that
or if you are a good swimmer would get Garrett water proof pinpointer and just dive down with a mask and check in the rocks and crevices

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Id use a small tank with a kayak rig - hookah to much and cumbersome to carry in
or if you are a good swimmer would get Garrett water proof pinpointer and just dive down with a mask and check in the rocks and crevices

Are you talking about one of those small rescue tanks that are used if your main tank runs out?
I am looking at a similar situation, a hookah would work best, but I don't want to haul it around on a Kayak.
I have a mask, Xcal, and waterproof Vibra-quatic. The spot I am looking at runs 8-10 feet down with clear water and only small gators. I hope.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can snorkel with the AT Pro. That and a waterproof pinpointer could get you going. A better choice would be the Minelab Excalibur II with either the dive shaft setup or an extended shaft. Check out Aquachigger on Youtube.com and you can see his technique for water hunting in rivers.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

snokid

Feb 2, 2013
Troy, MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Garrett GTA350, minelab e-trac, minelab Excalibur II, minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a very similar place, so I'm interested also.
SNUBA International, Inc. | Go Beyond Snorkeling
So is that what I need? I'm sure I must need a weight belt also.
Would someone with more experience enlighten us to how to be prepared...
I already have an excal would just have to dig out my short shaft.
and I would have a buddy with me.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would rather use the Excel than the ATP, however if that's all you have just don't disc out pull tabs or better yet use all metal. I would use a Sunspot scoop or if silt isn't to bad, a ping pong paddle to fan. Good Luck.

I wouldn't wait till next year!!!!!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would the AT Pro be OK completely submerged like that?

Has a 10 foot depth it can be submerged to.I do it with my AT Gold all the time.

OP
OP
ToastedWheatie

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

All great advice guys, thanks.

Carrying marine batteries or gas engines with fuel is not a pleasant option.

I would Sherpas to accomplish that.

Waterproof pointer and just diving down was my first thought, but I picture spending my time trying to relocate the signal each time.

Looking at the Brownie kayak set up as recommended. Maybe if invest a few bucks I'll start hitting some more of those water spots that no one else does.
(Christmas is coming... You reading this Hun?)

Sea Elite Surface Air Delivery System

How long (at less than 10' depth) will I get from one of the tanks? (80cf) With this, I could clear the whole spot in a few hours, or less.
Anyone know?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go full scuba. That rig still requires a tank and "most" reputable dive shops require a cert card to refill tanks. In addition the hookah style systems are still compressed air and I HIGHLY recommend a full scuba course to use either even though you don't plan on going 10' max you can still get in trouble in less than that if the wrong situation occurs. I have been diving since mid 80's and only combined detecting into it a couple years ago. The added distraction of looking for gold can make it easy for you to get in trouble. Just my personal opinion and recommendation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread