opinion on these Ringfinder guys

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Seems to me like it's bad for the hobby for a guy to "employ" other MDer's then sit back and wait for people to respond to his Craigslist ad telling him where they lost their jewelry. Then he goes there, finds it rather easily because these people tip this "service" off to the general location. This "service" doesn't charge but pretty much puts their hand out for a tip.

Then there is the MD like myself and yourself who goes out there usually coming home with a few bucks in change and some occasional silver and even less gold.

Somewhat clever for the "service provider" but it screws with the hobbiest?

Opinions?

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So....... ringfinders.com dont get anything? Its just a website that makes it easier for people to get help? So you make your decision to go or not go based on distance and difficulty of recovery if they dont want to somewhat cover the cost?
TheRingFinders.com gets yearly dues from it's members, otherwise, Yes, to your assumptions.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know which club you are talking about........ for a club its a great opportunity for group hunts, maybe a little something for the club, and for new people in the hobby......could put them on a different mind set about finds.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is another group, LostMy Stuff.net, that can be joined without any fees. You get notification of lost items in any area you are interested in and decide if you want to go look. I don't think there are any fees for those who post lost items either. It is up to the loser - finder if a reward is offered or accepted. Again, it is all about the integrity of the individuals involved.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I belong to that group too. I have never gotten one call in all the years I've belonged.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know its stupid, but in a way a fee to joint ....... might keep some of the sticky finger people from joining. Know what im saying? Its odd the way some peoples brains work.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Jeep.....You crack me up :) You started this whole thing and now you're going into the ring finding business. You at least need to put your avatar picture on your cards....that would be amazing!
I think people would call just to see you live and in person, just sayin', you're a funny guy.

Rich

Hey now, never said I'd join up, never said I wouldn't... I simply inquired as to whether the group was legit or not and opinions on whether or not you guys felt it was hurting your finds. I live from 10 to 90 miles from EVERY beach in southern California and go to every one I can when I can.If I have nothing going on and should get a call or a need to help, sure why not.... Gas, a beer, or a lunch would be great,. More? Even better but so what. 1/2 the time I go 100 miles round trip just to come home with 10.00 in change so why/how could I be stingie?

And for the record, I AM a funny guy.... 84643177.png

Last edited:

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I belong to ring finders also and do 15 to 20 returns a year from it I just ask for my gas to be covered and a picture

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RingFinders and LostMyStuff are legit. I would stay away from the Craigslist scammers.

I have replied to lost and found adds for nothing. More scams. If they come to me then I help.

I stopped looking for trouble that you find at Craigslist.

I do want to get some water proof hobbyist cards though.

Have detector will travel.

Last edited:

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know which club you are talking about........ for a club its a great opportunity for group hunts, maybe a little something for the club, and for new people in the hobby......could put them on a different mind set about finds.

Dew - You have it all wrong. Theringfinders.com "club" does not do "group hunts" or encourage "newbies". It is a website for Experienced Detectorists to sub-contract and make decisions on their own to help people out. You are your own boss and make all decisions on your hunts.

I've turned down searches by experience: I will not go and waste 8 hours searching for a lost ring that was lost in a lake by someone tubing or skiing - It's a waste of time and money.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey now, never said I'd join up, never said I wouldn't... I simply inquired as to whether the group was legit or not and opinions on whether or not you guys felt it was hurting your finds. I live from 10 to 90 miles from EVERY beach in southern California and go to every one I can when I can.If I have nothing going on and should get a call or a need to help, sure why not.... Gas, a beer, or a lunch would be great,. More? Even better but so what. 1/2 the time I go 100 miles round trip just to come home with 10.00 in change so why/how could I be stingie?

And for the record, I AM a funny guy.... View attachment 1220979

and Jeep - that picture is HIGHLY offensive ---------:laughing7:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree if he's just walking around that way. Now, if he's headed into the surf like that, and better still, coming out of the surf without that necklace, I'm not offended at all! :laughing7:. Is this guy afraid of vampires or something? He could protect a who town with that thing! :laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Dew - You have it all wrong. Theringfinders.com "club" does not do "group hunts" or encourage "newbies". It is a website for Experienced Detectorists to sub-contract and make decisions on their own to help people out. You are your own boss and make all decisions on your hunts.

I've turned down searches by experience: I will not go and waste 8 hours searching for a lost ring that was lost in a lake by someone tubing or skiing - It's a waste of time and money.
Tell that to the "group" that was spotted at Coronado a few wks back.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell that to the "group" that was spotted at Coronado a few wks back.
The San Diego Coinshooters had an early morning club hunt in Coronado in August if that's what you're referring to. They're not affiliated with The Ring Finders other than the fact a couple of members belong to both organizations.. Occasionally the Ring Finder members will get together for a picnic/hunt B/S session, or, if we have a particularly difficult search or large area to hunt, we'll help each other out.

CapeTownBeachBum

Sep 21, 2014
Cape Town
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 Teknetics G2 Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Just adding my 5 c ..... From South Africa and always try to return items where possible .... unmarked ring found after being lost for 10 years is impossible to return ... but I am always happy to help find an item if asked and if I am on the beach at that time I wont charge .... If its a specific call out then I have a standard petrol (gas) charge only ... nothing more .. its good Karma to help people find stuff .... also good for our hobby.

bettendorfJoe

Jan 23, 2013
Quad Cities (Iowa/Illinois)
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Ringfinders.com and craigslist are two different things. Ringfinders is a site that helps people find their lost property for a fee. Craigslist is a site where some guy ( I did say some guys ) look for people property and don't return it. Craigslist is bad for the hobby. Ringfinders, you know who coming to find your rings, craigslist you don't.one's good, one's bad.

There is no set "fee" for this service. I have found three different objects for people who didn't offer up a dime and there is no hard feelings. I am just glad to help and promote the hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread