opinion on these Ringfinder guys

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Seems to me like it's bad for the hobby for a guy to "employ" other MDer's then sit back and wait for people to respond to his Craigslist ad telling him where they lost their jewelry. Then he goes there, finds it rather easily because these people tip this "service" off to the general location. This "service" doesn't charge but pretty much puts their hand out for a tip.

Then there is the MD like myself and yourself who goes out there usually coming home with a few bucks in change and some occasional silver and even less gold.

Somewhat clever for the "service provider" but it screws with the hobbiest?

Opinions?

Upvote 0

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is Ringfinders the one where you have to pay the site for referrals? If so, I say what a joke and shame on him for profiting from other peoples misery. I hope bad thing befall someone like that.

I sometimes scan the local Craigslist and email the ad giving them my recommendation for LostMyStuff. Only one of those has actually followed thru and she was too damn lazy to go look herself where she thought her keys had fallen off the car. Needless to say, I didn't bother with her lazy ass.

I have 2 returns thru LostMyStuff.net and they wont allow fees of any kind. Not saying it doesn't happen with other members, but I'd never take money from someone for returning what is rightfully theirs. Just who I am. I don't fault others for offering a fee/reward service so long as the costs are spelled out up front, but I just couldn't do it.

The last time I went out for a LostMyStuff ring, the guy said "please don't take this the wrong way, but I don't know you. if you find the ring, don't put it into your pocket and take it to a pawn shop. I will give you retail value for it'. retail in this case was $3600 according to the fellow.
Anyway, I totally understood and worry when I show up that if I cant find the ring, how will the people know I didn't just pocket it? Its the one factor that almost makes me not look at all. In that case tho, I told him please watch me as I detect or put a video camera on me as I understand your concerns. Theres just no way to prove my honesty unless I can find it.
Turns out I did find it and another marriage got thru a rocky spell a bit more easily. And no, I wouldn't accept the offered reward,or gas money (~100 miles one way, but I don't need the money). The joy I got out of that return far outweighed the retail value of that ring. Hard to explain if you haven't found something for someone that they loved and thought was gone forever.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I posted a CL ad once just for places to hunt and if i found their ring I gave it to them no charge but asked if i could keep any clad or silver I found. I never found anything but a ladies keys she lost and gave them to her but did find about $4 in clad... I got a lot of stupid replies so I only did it once

bettendorfJoe

Jan 23, 2013
Quad Cities (Iowa/Illinois)
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
It's a no fee group...you call them, they get someone in touch with you and if your "ring" is found you can choose to thank them with a handshake or give them money...if you want to.

This group is 100% legitimate, I should know because they helped me out and then I joined them.

I am not the worlds most experienced but I have helped people out and gotten nothing for it other than a thank you and that's enough for me. It's an awesome promotion for our hobby!

Please stop all these rumors.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is Ringfinders the one where you have to pay the site for referrals? If so, I say what a joke and shame on him for profiting from other peoples misery. I hope bad thing befall someone like that.

No, it isn't! Members of TheRingFinders.com are independent and can make their own rates for finding things for people, but, the site doesn't charge anyone for information or for contacting a member for help. Most members do it on a reward basis and let the person who lost the item decide what to give as a reward (or not). Personally, the only thing I ask for, is to cover my costs, which rarely excedes $25, but, I don't insist on it. I will still search for free if they can't afford that. Any reward beyond that is completely up to them. Occasionally I get a request that requires scuba, a boat, tolls, overnight stays, etc, and I don't see anything wrong with asking for those costs to be covered too. I doubt many members of LostMyStuff.com would go to that expense for free. If I was Bill Gates, I'd probably do it and refuse anything, but, I get dozens of these requests every year and I'm not made of money. I find most people have no problems with paying something, and, in fact, before I was a member, I had people get upset if I didn't take a reward! They didn't want to feel obligated to anyone. If you leave it up to them, everyone is happy.....at least I am. Now if you want to setup and fund an account, I'll tell these folks that you're footing the bill and paying all the costs! :laughing7:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No, it isn't! Members of TheRingFinders.com are independent and can make their own rates for finding things for people, but, the site doesn't charge anyone for information or for contacting a member for help. Most members do it on a reward basis and let the person who lost the item decide what to give as a reward (or not). Personally, the only thing I ask for, is to cover my costs, which rarely excedes $25, but, I don't insist on it. I will still search for free if they can't afford that. Any reward beyond that is completely up to them. Occasionally I get a request that requires scuba, a boat, tolls, overnight stays, etc, and I don't see anything wrong with asking for those costs to be covered too. I doubt many members of LostMyStuff.com would go to that expense for free. If I was Bill Gates, I'd probably do it and refuse anything, but, I get dozens of these requests every year and I'm not made of money. I find most people have no problems with paying something, and, in fact, before I was a member, I had people get upset if I didn't take a reward! They didn't want to feel obligated to anyone. If you leave it up to them, everyone is happy.....at least I am. Now if you want to setup and fund an account, I'll tell these folks that you're footing the bill and paying all the costs! :laughing7:
There is an annual fee of 39.99 to be a member of TheRingFinders...so you are paying them for referrals.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
The charge for yearly membership goes to support the website etc. Does Chris take a salary? I am not sure.

That being said we do not normally get referrals from TheRingFinders directly. How TheRingFinders work is very unlike the ILOSTMYSTUFF group in that a person in need of our services will go the the website, find a person in their area, read the postings and make the decision on who to contact. Then it is between TheRingFinders member and the person in need of the expertise offered by the RingFinder. If the member can not help, he may suggest another member or other options such as contacting a local club or dealer to the person in need of help.

That being said, two clubs in my area were contacted by Chris of TheRingFinders as a woman in our area need help. I had talked to Chris a few months before and declined to join TheRingFinders. But now that the club passed the word onto its members, I and another member decided to take up the challenge...we were successful in finding and returning the lost items. On the way home we both decided to join TheRingFinders. I am in my 6th year of membership and have no regrets, except for the owner of items I have not been able to find and return. I am sure the 160+ items returned mean more to the owners than they would every have meant to me IF had I pawned them.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is an annual fee of 39.99 to be a member of TheRingFinders...so you are paying them for referrals.
That's true, you pay a fee to be listed on the Ring Finders website if you want to help people. If you have lost something and need help, there is no charge to access the website or contact a member.

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a member of ring finders along with water walker. If I get called out kinda local I tell them the fee is entirely up to them and if it's nothing I'm ok with that too I had one return that gave me 2 dozen fresh eggs and I was happy about it. I charge everyone a picture of the item and of them...if I have to drive long distance ,,I've driven over 100 miles one way I do ask them to cover my gas due to me owning a truck with 17 miles per gallon and i dont feel that its an unreasonable request none of us are taking advantage of anyone I average 10 to 12 returns a year because of the ringfinders.

Last edited:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, the fee you have to pay for referrals is what I don't like seeing. He certainly has a legal right to do this, but I still see it as feasting on the misery of others. ESPECIALLY when there are free alternatives like LostMyStuff.com.

I don't know specifics of the RF site, but $39/yr/member is going to generate a lot more cash than is needed to keep the site up and running. SOMEBODY is getting a salary or bonus or reward or whatever you want to call it. As always, Follow The Money.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are breaking no laws nor any rules here, we have members that belong to Ringfinders and they are NOT hurting the hobby, they provide a service for people who lost their property and some hope of getting it back.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not counting the discount for being listed in more than one city, the membership dues only come to a max total of about $16K. You subtract the cost of URL costs (both the one they use, and others that are similar), the programming cost, hosting, paypal fees, etc, nobody is making a whole lot, if anything. Even though I am also a member of LostMyStuff.com, I have more suspicion of THEIR motivation than I do of TheRingFinders.com

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
The LOSTMYSTUFF site has a DONATE button, guess they need help in paying for the website also.

The biggest difference I see between TheRingFinders and the LOSTMYSTUFF group is the way contact between the person needing help and a member detectorist is made.

Each RingFinder has their own BIO and Posting page. A needy person enters the site, selects a member for help from menus of location, type of service needed (land, sand or water), previous finds a members BIO etc. and then contacts the member directly. NO MIDDLE MAN.
Unlike
LOSTMYSTUFF that has moderators that receive the initial contact via a "report" submitted by a needy person. A moderator then may request more information, if required, from the needy person or just put out an E-mail and hope someone will make arrangements via the moderator to go to the aid of the needy person. At least that is they way I read the information on their website. This system leaves the needy person hanging...waiting...not knowing what is going on...when and if they will ever get help...and if they do get help, they know nothing about the detectorist beforehand.

My suggestion is that you visit each of the sites at: https://theringfinders.com/ and Lost My Stuff Group - Home, read and then if so inclined, join one of the groups.

All this is as it is: BOTH groups are providing a very needed service to some one in need of the help of a detectorist. There is plenty of opportunity for ALL of us to help...and give the general public a elevated impression of those "fools" out there dirt-digging, sand-siffting or water-wading.

I know of some detectorists that would not return a object even if they could, they believe in Finders-Keepers...I feel sorry for them. And I am sure that all the searched for, found and returned items have no chance of making a difference in those detectorists' finds or life style. Get real and enjoy the hobby for what it is: a hobby and a chance to enjoy others having fun traveling the many paths of life.

desertson

Greenie
Dec 27, 2016
San Diego North County
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro to help alleviate my life long gold fever. No luck
XTera 705 w Big ass coil tuned just for rings in the dry.
Whites Surf PI Dual Field for the wet, and going swimming.
Rods for Sewer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Craigs List

I don't want to say their are no Good Guys on Craigs List, but I can tell you what all to often happens here locally. Person with lost item posts something like this "Lost wedding ring Tamarack Beach today, can anyone help please" with a phone number. Phone rings off the hook for that poor person, and you know what, several of the usual suspects tell that unsuspecting person send me a photo of the spot, or give me an aprox location and I will call you if I find it. Funny how those calls never get made. The client then contacts local P.D. or the Lifeguards, and Ring Finders gets the call, and meets the person at the location. The location the idiot from Craigs List already searched and left fifty holes in the

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread