opinion on these Ringfinder guys

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Seems to me like it's bad for the hobby for a guy to "employ" other MDer's then sit back and wait for people to respond to his Craigslist ad telling him where they lost their jewelry. Then he goes there, finds it rather easily because these people tip this "service" off to the general location. This "service" doesn't charge but pretty much puts their hand out for a tip.

Then there is the MD like myself and yourself who goes out there usually coming home with a few bucks in change and some occasional silver and even less gold.

Somewhat clever for the "service provider" but it screws with the hobbiest?

Opinions?

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a method to find locations. I used to advertise and charge $50 bucks up front to keep the yahoo's from watching the nerd look for something that was never lost. Usually returned the $$$ if I didn't have to drive to far just to get into new places.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ringfinders.com and craigslist are two different things. Ringfinders is a site that helps people find their lost property for a fee. Craigslist is a site where some guy ( I did say some guys ) look for people property and don't return it. Craigslist is bad for the hobby. Ringfinders, you know who coming to find your rings, craigslist you don't.one's good, one's bad.

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here where I live they advertise on craigslist and are "The Ring Finders" Example : Lost & Found Ring Carlsbad And So Cal is SATURATED with these guys
Being a little familiar with Ringfinders, I'm going to guess John and Curtis are advertising themselves using the Ringfinders name.
Notice that the Ringfinders website is not listed?

There's nothing wrong with Ringfinders. If someone lost Grandmas ring in the back yard, they can go to the website, and pick out someone to come take a look for it. Most just want gas reimbursement, and a selfie with the owner and recovered item.

From John's Ringfinder ad:
Search LocationsNorth San Diego County and surround areas (will travel if needed)

Search Types(All), beach, parks, yards, Old farm lands & water searches.

Cost For My ServiceI work on a reward basis, what it is worth to you and what you can afford for me to come out and find your lost ring.

N County beaches there is NO CHARGE. Sometimes I take a tip. But not asked for.In todays world its Pay it Forward

And in my area the Craigslist ads you see are just people looking for permission to hunt property. No harm there either.

Last edited:

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with the "Theringfinders.com" - It's a great service that is provided for people who have lost valuable items. I've been doing it for years and have helped dozen's of people. We do ask for fuel reimbursement and a reward if found only. The reward is not necessary and we make sure everyone knows that. Only if they see fit, totally up to them. All I ask for is a Picture of the lost item and the person holding it again, for the book of smiles. This website has been a blessing for so many people, I am proud to be part of it.

If people also advertise on Craigslist, then that's their personal deal.........As long as people can contact someone to help, it's a good thing.

SocalJim

Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ringfinders.com and craigslist are two different things. Ringfinders is a site that helps people find their lost property for a fee. Craigslist is a site where some guy ( I did say some guys ) look for people property and don't return it. Craigslist is bad for the hobby. Ringfinders, you know who coming to find your rings, craigslist you don't.one's good, one's bad.

Really? You sound like a Ringfinder ad. Please explain why is Craigslist bad ? I've been watching ads in the lost and found for years and have never seen anyone complain of a detectorist taking advantage of anyone . If I were hiring someone I'd be taking them to the location and be there watching the search. Just because someone gives themselves a title doesn't make them honest. Don't get me wrong these guys should be applauded for returning lost property. On the other hand I've been around long enough to know though that it would be very easy to take advantage of someone under the cover of a benevolent organization.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm guessing that you don't get mugged or murdered when you contact RINGFINDERS. Not so with Craigslist...

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Like several are, I was skeptical about TheRingFinders until a metal detecting club got a request to help a woman find her lost wedding set. With no strings attached to TheRingfinders a friend and I went on the search. We found the two rings and made one woman very happy. We were hooked and on our 2 hour drive home we decided to join. Yes we did accept a gift, a bit of gas money, and a tin of tea each. I still have the tin, but the tea is just a wonderful memory.

I do not accept rewards, they are taxable. I do request pictures and a Thank You Note. The time will come when I can no longer detect and at that time I will still have my own book of Smiles and precious memory reminders. Four of my favorite gifts are a jar of “Grandma's Gratitude Granola” with a hand made Thank You card, a hand made candy dish, a box of foreign made chocolate candy and a plate of home made chocolate chip cookies.

My first day detecting (back in 1982) I found a diamond engagement ring. The ring was lost some four years previous, I returned it and received a the plate of cookies as a Thank You. That hooked me on trying to return any item I found. I now have logged more than 160 returns in 32+ years detecting. None of the returned items would change my life style or would mean anything to me compared to the person that lost it. As for scrap value, Yes, I could be driving a dream sports car instead of the detecting truck I now drive, but it would not fit my needs.

I must admit that I have been to places I would never have detected and have found items I was not there to find and were mine to keep. I also have posted and answered posts on Craigslist. I see Craigslist as just another tool to enhance my hobby. I get more of a thrill out of the search and returning an object than in actually finding it.

I guess it all boils down to your morals and what you feel comfortable in doing.

If you have not read some of the blogs on TheRIngFinders website, I suggest you do. And if you have never returned a found object...Try it! You may like it. Until then, don't knock it.

Now that I have given my opinion and in answer to a posting on Craigslist, I will get ready and go search for a Tungsten Wedding Band.

WaterWalker

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really? You sound like a Ringfinder ad. Please explain why is Craigslist bad ? I've been watching ads in the lost and found for years and have never seen anyone complain of a detectorist taking advantage of anyone . If I were hiring someone I'd be taking them to the location and be there watching the search. Just because someone gives themselves a title doesn't make them honest. Don't get me wrong these guys should be applauded for returning lost property. On the other hand I've been around long enough to know though that it would be very easy to take advantage of someone under the cover of a benevolent organization.
Why is craigslist bad? I've seen ad's on craigslist like this: I lost my ring south of the pier, in knee deep water, Help. Now Mr. digger reads the ad ,go out and finds the ring and never tell anyone that he found the ring. the owner of the ring fills a police report. the police find the ring in s pawn shop, the shop tell the police , Mr. Digger found the ring with a MD. get the point. BAD FOR THE HOBBY !!

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why is craigslist bad? I've seen ad's on craigslist like this: I lost my ring south of the pier, in knee deep water, Help. Now Mr. digger reads the ad ,go out and finds the ring and never tell anyone that he found the ring. the owner of the ring fills a police report. the police find the ring in s pawn shop, the shop tell the police , Mr. Digger found the ring with a MD. get the point. BAD FOR THE HOBBY !!

Sorry but in this scenario it's the poster (and the finder) who are at fault, not craigslist.

It could have been written on a bathroom door, or in the local paper.

Last edited:

SocalJim

Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do get the point Ron your stories thief could just as easily be a member of the Ringfinders, think Boy Scouts or Catholic Church a title doesn't make you honest. it's easy to make up scenarios and point fingers just saying I've never heard of any. Personally I try to return everything I find of value and have just mailed an Iphone to Chandler Az. and again two thumbs up to those who do. I'm sure the vast majority of ringfinders are honest but not so sure any more than the rest of us.

wildcarrot

Oct 5, 2013
SoCal
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
old used white's surfmaster PI, Dual Field, DFX, Minelab GM 1000 and Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been a Ringfinder guy on occasion and I hope it was good for the hobby...it sure made me and the folks that got their rings back feel great! I was asked for help four different times in the last couple of years while detecting at the beach. A couple sitting on a guard tower in their street clothes, guy comes over says "lost my wedding band can you help me?" Found that platinum band in 30 seconds. She was crying and trying to hug me it was their anniversary that day...it felt good to be able to return one for a change. Working in the low tide wash area a guy comes up and says he needs help with something. He had left his wedding band on his towel and the wife had shook the towel out and bye bye wedding band...Found the ring easily, another platinum, he and his wife were so happy and relieved. The funny thing was they invited me to go have drinks and buy me dinner...I passed....The same spot a month later, guy comes looking for help "lost my ring".This was on Father's Day and the whole extended family of twenty had cordoned off an area looking on their hands and knees. Needless to say found the ring, a Tungsten, and man I was mobbed by the family. Been offered money on every occasion, never accepted it... I posted this one a while back. A lady comes to me and asked "if I could help her find her car keys" I said sure where? She points down the beach about a quarter mile. I told her I'd meet her there in a few minutes as I worked my way down the beach...Found her keys had a nice chat and that was it. Turned around to go back to my cuts walked ten feet and hit a white gold wedding band in the dry sand. Now I would have never found that ring if I hadn't taken the time to help that lady. I've got a lot of beautiful rings and keepsakes that I've always felt a little sad for the folks that lost them. It is a great feeling to give back and I think very good for the hobby :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
I understand the "can you help me right now" scenario's and I to have rescued some marriages. A SUPER hot chick came up to me while I was working the wet at the beach, and I thought" Wow, does this thing make me attractive? I didn't think it did." Then after 30 seconds of small talk and buttering, she asked if I could help her find a ring. Sure.. It's my husbands.. DOAAAHHH.. !! :(
So I looked up and her old-man was white in the face, looked a bit nauseous, and was looking in the sand. I found it in about 10 seconds. Young couple. Beyond happy. No reward. None- needed. But man that 22k white gold ring sure would of been nice..

So anyways, the ring that you found after you found the lady's keys, do you post on CL saying you found a ring and wait for responses or run it to the shop to sell? When's the dividing line? Obviously an inscription merits tracking down if possible but a plain, non inscribed band..... To me, that's finders keepers. I don't pay literally thousands of dollars for equipment, hundreds of dollars in gas, countless hrs of meager finds to find something of value and HOPE to return it. I will if I can but otherwise, like I said its F.K.L.W!

To sit home and wait for a call/email asking to find a ring, then going to a specific target area and finding the ring is very cool for the owner, but where's the challenge in the hunt as a MD? Do you guys hunt on the regular? Pulling quarters and dimes and tabs all day. or do you just go out when there's someone in need and hits the bat phone?

Last edited:

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you guys hunt on the regular? Pulling quarters and dimes and tabs all day. or do you just go out when there's someone in need and hits the bat phone?

Jeep Gold - I'm a ring finder and a treasure hunter, check out some of my posts. I find a bunch of gold, silver, clad........bout everything. So, I'm not getting your point?

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am also a member of theringfinders.I charge no fee.If they tip me for my time and expenses...cool.one of my calls was from a young soldier who lost his wedding band while up here on his honeymoon.It was no slam dunk to find it(rarely is)but when I mailed it to his wife I felt great for helping out.she mailed me a check..I sent it back thanking her husband and her for their sacrifice.
None of us get a ton of calls...we are detectorists who ALSO may be willing to help someone out if we can.We are screened by chris as to our expertise and equipment.he is sharp and will know if you are seasoned in minutes of talking.

I recommend serious detectorists check out if their area is uncovered and join.The book of smiles is real...youtube..theringfinders and see

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
I had met a guy a while back at a local beach and got to talking a little. I very much understand the public service that is being performed, and I respect it. I guess he just rubbed me wrong because I hunt very tight grids, low and slow sweeps and do everything that I believe is to be correct. I pull all the trash that I find and I bury all my holes etc. This guy told me that they only hunt with a PI and dig EVERYTHING. Impossible I thought. So Cal beaches are devastated with trash if any of you don't know. In hind sight I can see why he does. He does because he knows in a general location where the ring positively IS. He can afford to do that. Then I was told that he was glad I was hunting there because I could clean up all the change and bottle caps for him. Seriously? Then he started bragging about how much $$$ in jewelry he's found and that's documented finds, blah, blah, blah... Who cares...

Another time I saw SIX guys standing side by side walking a towel line like some Henry Ford assembly line...

I dunno where I'm going with this and my opinion of it is a good one if it's for a genuine cause, but some guys seem a bit shady. And I've seen with my own eyes some of these members tossing trash back, not covering holes, etc.... To me that alone is bad for the hobby. It's VERY true that many MD'ers dont practice good habits but if your in a club/member/service type thing and not just a lone wolf then you need to be especially mindful of your practice. I've gone out of my way to tell other detectorists to cover their holes. It annoys me.

Last edited:

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had met a guy a while back at a local beach and got to talking a little. I very much understand the public service that is being performed, and I respect it. I guess he just rubbed me wrong because I hunt very tight grids, low and slow sweeps and do everything that I believe is to be correct. I pull all the trash that I find and I bury all my holes etc. This guy told me that they only hunt with a PI and dig EVERYTHING. Impossible I thought. So Cal beaches are devastated with trash if any of you don't know. In hind sight I can see why he does. He does because he knows in a general location where the ring positively IS. He can afford to do that. Then I was told that he was glad I was hunting there because I could clean up all the change and bottle caps for him. Seriously? Then he started bragging about how much $$$ in jewelry he's found and that's documented finds, blah, blah, blah... Who cares...

Another time I saw SIX guys standing side by side walking a towel line like some Henry Ford assembly line...

I dunno where I'm going with this and my opinion of it is a good one if it's for a genuine cause, but some guys seem a bit shady. And I've seen with my own eyes some of these members tossing trash back, not covering holes, etc.... To me that alone is bad for the hobby. It's VERY true that many MD'ers dont practice good habits but if your in a club/member/service type thing and not just a lone wolf then you need to be especially mindful of your practice. I've gone out of my way to tell other detectorists to cover their holes. It annoys me.

We had a similar experience up her a few years back Jeep.

A lost & found ad was in the local paper. The beach the ring was lost on was given. A friend contacted the person and then went down to try to find it for her. When he got there a self described member of Ringfinders was there and had a portion of the beach coned off and was very aggressive about anyone else looking for the ring. It was clear he was in it for the reward and nothing else!

EDIT NOTE: Disclaimer, I realize all members of Ringfinders or LostMyStuff are not like the person in this example.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It is very easy to recover a ring while someone is watching and hide it so they don't see it, I have done so many times when hunting in the water and on the beach and had people standing right by me watching me...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread