Bulldozed Beaches Giving Up Gold & Silver!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A few of us chased beach bulldozers today in the NYC area, as towns began building berms for the coming (?) hurricane. Lots of silver coins from the 1930s-50s, and a couple of us pulled some good gold. No photos, just advising you not to wait till after the storm now that they are pushing sand!

Upvote 0

Vikingblood

Sep 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got thrown off a New Jersey beach for trying this, they were pissed. Apparently I was interfering with "emergency preparations". The getting was good though for a minute. Definitely would have found some gold. Signals all over.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Luck and Be safe all! The rules are no pic's............. did not happen.so take the phone!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are the pics?

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Terry spills the beans. In a good way. I live too far or I'd boot it down there. Some of the best beach hunting can come from human activity. I bet more the. A few gold rings popped up. Lol. Cmon how about some pics of finds? Hugo-Joe

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got thrown off a New Jersey beach for trying this, they were pissed. Apparently I was interfering with "emergency preparations". The getting was good though for a minute. Definitely would have found some gold. Signals all over.

Go back when the dozers aren't operating!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There's a few places in CA that they pile up sand in berm shapes, to prepare for storms/swells. But my experience is that they aren't any good for detecting in the places where the sand was removed from. Because typically it's the same spots they scoop out of time after time, repeatedly, yearly.

If there was ever:

1) a dry sand spot, that had remained above all past high water marks (storm cut & spring/summer fill) spots, and

2) that this was the first time they were dozing/scraping out,

Then in that case, I would imagine there'd be some pickens.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In our case with all of the big and small storms we get each year, the number of people that visit these beaches annually, and the fact that the area has been a major trading center since the 1600s, we do all right when they move 6-10' of sand off the top for us Tom.

Same thing on placer gold claims. We do "pushes" with big dozers and move 2-3' off the top of the claim, or down to bedrock then hit it with detectors.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good Luck and Be safe all! The rules are no pic's............. did not happen.so take the phone!

LOL! Where are the pics of the stuff you DIDN'T want your wife to see because it's time to buy daddy that new Fat Bob? :occasion14:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Terry, sure, there are beaches where that would do good. However, I know of other beaches where if/when they take off 6 to 10' of sand, it's still zinc pennies or sterile down there. Doh!

This is because either a) it's inter-tidal zone sand that is simply filled in (spring/summer) from past erode/fill cyles. Thus having "no rhyme or reason". Or b) it's the same 6 to 10' that's come out annually in that exact spot for the last umpteen years (and sloshed back in with the waves subsequently that hit that berm.

Another example of this, where "trememdous looking cuts/erosion" can occur, yet be sterile, is creek/river outflow exits. That's because the creek/river cuts the SAME EXACT CHANNEL year-after-year, in the same zone/path. So while it *looks* impressive, it's samo-samo-sand.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other