Excal sword battery pod wanted

mham2

Jan 12, 2009
massillon,ohio/bradenton florida
Detector(s) used
minelab/excalibur 11, minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I had a battery pod develop stress cracks on the end and I called minelab and they sent me a new one free of charge,the detector was out of warranty

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excal II battery pod can be cut to fit the sword but don't put a lot of money in the sword, it is impossible to get the sword motherboard any more.

If the control housing gets a crack it can't be replaced and the motherboard want fit in Excal II housing.

OP
OP
lost items recovery

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes I'm aware and didn't want to cut down a pod and have a mismatched set up.
This Sword was in great shape and out of my possession now.
Didn't take long as most swear buy them.
Thanks for the info

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Yep, a great detector, the Sword. I have the one that Andy Sabisch used for his initial evaluation for Minelab. It has seen many changes: SunRay battery, WOT coil and today it has a 10" coil, the RNB EX3000 Li-Ion battery and a carbon fiber shaft and a new set of O-rings. The leaks around the control knob tubes were fixed with the Bondic UV Light glue. RTV, Aquaseal and others have all failed. I hope this UV glue is the Holy Grail, it sure looks like it will be.

The Sword battery pod was made from a piece of tube and an end cap glued together. The newer pods are a one piece molded unit. They had square mounting wings not the slated ones of today's Excaliburs. Long ago I cut the square corners off so the pod would fit the newer control housings. A model maker were I retired from had some solvent that sealed the leaks at the pod's end which is still holding some 20 years later. I wish I knew what the solvent's name was. I saw the TANKED crew making a fish tank and they use the same solvent. It only came in a gallon can as I remember. Something to look for....

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, a great detector, the Sword. I have the one that Andy Sabisch used for his initial evaluation for Minelab. It has seen many changes: SunRay battery, WOT coil and today it has a 10" coil, the RNB EX3000 Li-Ion battery and a carbon fiber shaft and a new set of O-rings. The leaks around the control knob tubes were fixed with the Bondic UV Light glue. RTV, Aquaseal and others have all failed. I hope this UV glue is the Holy Grail, it sure looks like it will be.

The Sword battery pod was made from a piece of tube and an end cap glued together. The newer pods are a one piece molded unit. They had square mounting wings not the slated ones of today's Excaliburs. Long ago I cut the square corners off so the pod would fit the newer control housings. A model maker were I retired from had some solvent that sealed the leaks at the pod's end which is still holding some 20 years later. I wish I knew what the solvent's name was. I saw the TANKED crew making a fish tank and they use the same solvent. It only came in a gallon can as I remember. Something to look for....

I fixed one with the leaky knob shafts about a year ago also but with Aquaseal, I thinned the Aquaseal with cotol 240 then ran it down the inside around the knob shafts risers. pressure tested it at 5 pounds internal pressure with no leaks, then it spent a few days out of testing. Les R has used it for one summer now with no issues. Since you said you had issues with the Aquaseal I may have him drop it off for a check up. Did you repair yours from the inside? I also use Aquaseal to finalize the sealing of the endcaps n allen set screw for years instead of silicon or nothing at all.

Be interesting to know what number sword you have also being it was a early test model.

howie#1

Aug 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put A sword board in a blue tube and it worked fine. this was done a couple of years ago. I can't remember if i also changed over the control pins.The housing mounting holes are in different locations but the board was the same size.Those units are awesome. I ended up selling it on craiglist new owner was a ware of this. A guy gave me two units said make one work and keep the rest. My excal 2 housing cracked at the knobs and I had the sword tube guess what,I put the excal 2 board in the sword housing and worked just fine. I also sold this on craigs list wow did i get a lot of call s for this one and yes of coarse I let the new owner and hundreds of other people know it was not a sword. They got a great deat on both of those units and their still finding treasure as we chat.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I put A sword board in a blue tube and it worked fine. this was done a couple of years ago. I can't remember if i also changed over the control pins.The housing mounting holes are in different locations but the board was the same size. Those units are awesome. I ended up selling it on craiglist new owner was a ware of this. A guy gave me two units said make one work and keep the rest. My excal 2 housing cracked at the knobs and I had the sword tube guess what,I put the excal 2 board in the sword housing and worked just fine. I also sold this on craigs list wow did i get a lot of call s for this one and yes of coarse I let the new owner and hundreds of other people know it was not a sword. They got a great deat on both of those units and their still finding treasure as we chat.

Actually the pods and boards are different sizes. There are three levels on the Excalibur PCB, the top two on the Sword are much bigger (1.7mm) then the blue/green tube models. And the bottom is bigger but by (1mm). You are the man if you did that swap.. since the blue tube has a smaller pod then the sword by 1mm ID. But I can see putting a Blue/green tube board in sword pod, I just did it and seems with a few changes it would work fine. Save us some pictures next time, always open to something new.
OBN0036.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN is correct, excal 2 board fits in sword housing but sword board want fit in excal 2 housing.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
I used the Aquaseal on the outside, it last about 1500 hours. Not bad for not thinning which I never though of. I know that when the old tubes were made, the sealant was flowed on the inside of the tube. My thought was the pressure on the "patch" would aid in keeping it sealed. Back when I did the repair I had access to a pressure chamber, put the control tube in water and increased the pressure to about 8psi. This new "patch" I used was flowed around the posts and looked like it went down in the void. The UV light cured the liquid and made a most beautiful surface. About 200 hours and no leaks. I think I have gotten my money's worth from the Sword. It has outlasted two WOT coils ... some 5000 hours in the water, salt and fresh. More to come ... it is heading for the Caribbean in January.

I seal the end caps with a wrap of 3M electrical tape. Easy on, Easy off.

Serial number: M623

On another note...the m12 waterproof inline coil cable connectors you use, what are the part numbers? PX0911/04/P and PX0921/04/S?
I have the original Coiltek on my two Excals, but someday I may need to replace them. Nothing seams to last for ever...Enjoy and

May the ring of gold be in your ears and its glitter in your scoop.
WW

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Serial number: M623

On another note...the m12 waterproof inline coil cable connectors you use, what are the part numbers? PX0911/04/P and PX0921/04/S?
I have the original Coiltek on my two Excals, but someday I may need to replace them. Nothing seams to last for ever...Enjoy and

May the ring of gold be in your ears and its glitter in your scoop.
WW

That is a oldie Sword and severed you very well! I never had any luck with inline connectors specially the Bulgins. But some say they have, one is Clive..you may want to check with him. I think the numbers you posted could be the bulgins... Since I went with the 3m and in the endcap they have been the ticket for the last few years, but I'm still up in the air if they are costing me a inch or so. Seems fine but more testing is needed. These are what I use now for the endcaps...but you could try them inline. I also added a O ring to them for if you tighten them up to much it will snap off the little ridge, the oring prevents this...

Circular Connectors | Connectors, Interconnects | DigiKey

OBN0366 (2).jpg 3N104-D000-S08-BF.jpg 3N304-D000-S08-BF.jpg

Notice o ring added, this unit has about two years of hunting in saltwater. (Maybe 400 hours a year?) I tore it apart about month ago and redid all of the knob shaft O-rings, everything else looked good. I do keep my fittings silicone greased very well.

OBN0001.jpg

Also very important, always fill the fitting with epoxy just incase it should leak, and this also prevents twisting of the wires inside.

OBN0002.jpg

Last edited:

howie#1

Aug 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know i did this swap looked for pics could not find any.It was when I just started detecting.I think you guys nailed it on the head some one had already put a blue tube board in the sword tube,when I receaved three machines and was asked to make one work,I heard a lot about the swords and it was a little different but dont think the board was wider. It did have different colors on board I do want to say yellow maybe and brown no sn on board , It was different then the excal 2,and blue tube.It had a horse shoe coil and blue head phones ,black white sticker that had a sword on it ,IDK Iam confused now. But I think Everybody knows who the man is and that would definitely be YOU. Thank you for all you do OBN.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I know i did this swap looked for pics could not find any.It was when I just started detecting.I think you guys nailed it on the head some one had already put a blue tube board in the sword tube,when I receaved three machines and was asked to make one work,I heard a lot about the swords and it was a little different but dont think the board was wider. It did have different colors on board I do want to say yellow maybe and brown no sn on board , It was different then the excal 2,and blue tube.It had a horse shoe coil and blue head phones ,black white sticker that had a sword on it ,IDK Iam confused now. But I think Everybody knows who the man is and that would definitely be YOU. Thank you for all you do OBN.

Howie it members like you, Treasure Hunter, Mel Parker and many others that have made me look closer at things and figure out a better way. I remember Treasure hunter and MT Pockets doing the inline coil mod. That started the fire for me to come up with a way to change coils that worked, Mel Parker shared his info on the remote PP mod with me, I took that to the limit and now have one of the best setups out there. And you putting a blue excal PCB in a sword pod, I never even thought about that.. So it is you guys that ask the question, share post and suggest.. that gets me thinking. So really we're all in this together...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread