Tested out a Minelab CTX 3030...awesome detector!

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
And then Minelab made the CTX 3030
And all others were obsolete.
What a perfect machine that needs nothing but a charge to go hunting...no modifications needed, it already has it's own straight from the factory.
Interchangeable coil connectors, pin point button, headphone connectors, excellent performance, stability, depth, depth readings, GPS, numerical target display, collapsable straight shaft, adjustable arm cuff, back packable breakdown, customizable programming.

What more could you want?!
The CTX 3030 was very well planned out and far surpasses my expectations!

I had a chance to test one out and I can honestly say that I am blown away.

Great job Minelab and all your technitions who designed this work of art!!!

I have owned many different brands, models, types of detectors for different
Hunting environments and must say you ladies and gentleman have managed to produce the best metaldetector I have ever used!!!

Hats off to all of you at Minelab..... You have certainly outdone yourselfs!you are definitely the worlds greatest in metal detector technology!

To those who are unfamiliar with the CTX 3030.....my advise is don't by anything but one of these!
Save yourself, the time and money of going from machine to machine and get out and dig those precious metals that the other machines leave behind.
Don't waste another day or dollar and I can guarantee you'll be glad you bought one!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1444255372.354493.jpg

Upvote 0

j.m.k

Jun 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does it detect thin gold chains? Only major weak point in my trusty garrett at pro :)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What else could I want from the 3030 ?
To be fully waterproof.

I want that out of all detectors over 500 bucks...
And especially for any that cost $2,500.

Just saying.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me see..... a lower price, better gaskets, fix that screen issue, replace those shaft locks, lighter weight, after market coils ........ at least they did have detector pro make some good underwater phones that fit. You have to be able to trust your equipment out there nose deep..... especially for that price. Next scary thing...... once the warranty runs out what are repair costs going to be? Ive already seen used ones out of warranty going for around $1100

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the review. I'm thinking of selling the Excal 2 and picking one up.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3030 is a great detector, change out the battery gasket and your fine...

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is an amazing machine. I love mine.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the battery go down and stuck shaft problem. Ended up selling it and thinking of going back to a excal unless they fix the issues with the ctx.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shaft usually gets stuck from sand or dirt from not washing or wiping it down.

Should have called Minelab on battery, they would have replaced it...

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I had the battery go down and stuck shaft problem. Ended up selling it and thinking of going back to a excal unless they fix the issues with the ctx.

Members here are addressing that issue, several threads related to that. And I do know that Minelab is addressing those issues - it is an invisible fact!. We have friends here.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrads LIR on the New machine!! Sounds like you're in love!!

My opinion, a great multipurpose machine, Great for land and Good for shallow water, perfect for trashy areas and when you like to Cherry Pick. Hard to beat, stock vs stock.

And I love hunting behind them on the old beach's :laughing7:........ fresh drop beach's tuff to beat...:BangHead:

OP
OP
lost items recovery

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you Joe.

Killer job on those headphones you build, I'm very impressed!

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In all fairness...
I am a MineLab lover... I make love to mine all the time :P (jK)
heh
Anyway... I like the concept / design of the 3030... and the features... minus the GPS... which for me is overkill...
but I look at the Excals Price point and its features...

Then I look at the 3030... for 1000 more...
And I just don't see the thousand there.

NOW... IF they had built the 3030 with FULL deep submersion like Excal BUT with the 3030 design and features...

They would have developed the best ALL AROUND detector in the world.

PS> ^NOTE TO MINELAB --- Maybe next wave MineLab :) ... but please be realistic on pricing.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the thing, they don't have to be realistic! They sell like hot cakes at $2500 and even the GPZ at $10K does as well. They are a large corporation that is in it to make maximum profit, not appease us who want it priced realistically.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Guys. You can own one new for 1999. They 2400 dollar option is a bundle option. I paid 1999 and 150 for headphones. Which reminds me. It is time for a headphone upgrade. Obn style.

Its its a beast for a machine you just gotta really listen for those deep targets. Lir good luck with your new machine. Don't dunk without gasket upgrade. Hhgl-Joe

In all fairness...
I am a MineLab lover... I make love to mine all the time :P (jK)
heh
Anyway... I like the concept / design of the 3030... and the features... minus the GPS... which for me is overkill...
but I look at the Excals Price point and its features...

Then I look at the 3030... for 1000 more...
And I just don't see the thousand there.

NOW... IF they had built the 3030 with FULL deep submersion like Excal BUT with the 3030 design and features...

They would have developed the best ALL AROUND detector in the world.

PS> ^NOTE TO MINELAB --- Maybe next wave MineLab :) ... but please be realistic on pricing.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well until they make it completely waterproof...
And a few other tweeks...
My money stays...
My money.

MineLab is in a great position to take a larger piece of the MD pie IMO...
It boils down to the market... and marketing attractiveness by end consumer.

It seems that all detector companies get close to "consumer desired design results"...
But "drop the ball" in critical areas... LIKE the fact that electronics that are carried in wet / outdoor enviro's...
It is not just about diving...
Its about water in general... RAIN... SNOW etc... and that is just the "wet" part... not to mention other "quirks"...
It seems they have focused more on the electronics ... then figure out how to house it... rather than true real world function.
Maybe the reverse approach could help here.

IF a detector is made and designed with ALL the attributes desired in a detector by detectorists...
They could go from SOME of the money to ALL of the money.
This IS still competitive market is it not ?
So...
First company to make one... wins... game over... un-deniable world leader.

Give me an hour in a "pitch" room and I can rip one out on a drawing board... Why cant anyone else ?
Are they not listening out here to / in the "field of users" > ?

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
That's the thing, they don't have to be realistic! They sell like hot cakes at $2500 and even the GPZ at $10K does as well. They are a large corporation that is in it to make maximum profit, not appease us who want it priced realistically.

We are not anymore in world where you sell something with a markup on the cost..... we are now thinking "how much would you pay for that?"

Concerning the sells of CTX in Europe: it is hard for Minelab, they've been challenged by XP Metal and other brands.

XP Metal claims in their adverts: "for 1 metal detector sold, whatever the brand we sold one XP"

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH.... cleaning isnt going to really help that cam lock issue of wear....just put it off a bit. My problem has aways been with the issue of .....we dont care we arent going to fix obvious issues. Those gaskets r an easy fix. People love this machine.....but they would sell a ton more if they had more confidence in them. All that said its got some outstanding upgrades.....but we still havent seen that watermachine that blow us away in depth. All the companies seem to be following suit..... reduce the number of machines and concentrate on one do it all......that gets in our pocket not theirs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread