Time to upgrade my detector

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I currently have a Surfmaster PI detector that I have used at the beach and in shallow water. Everyone talks about the depth of this unit and I agree it does detect deep. I recently became SCUBA certified and have found that I am wasting a lot of my bottom time by digging small pieces of iron. I hate the fact that the Surfmaster PI doesn't tell me what it found before I dig it up. Needless to say I am ready for a new water detector, I plan on selling my Surfmaster PI on EBay unless I can find someone to buy it before then. My question is what is a good underwater detector that will either have tone ID or Lights that will tell me what type of metal a target is. I would like to stick with a Whites but would like to get away from the PI. I like their Beach Hunter but it is only good for 25ft depth. Any ideas or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!
OBD

Upvote 0

kevino1960

Oct 22, 2006
West Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark Fisher 1265X
I love my Tiger Shark... but, it detects bobby pins (as well as every other piece of trash) with a vengeance. I think Sandman could give you some really good advice on this subject. Good Luck, Kevin

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl
eveybody will tell( well almost everybody) you the minelab is the way to go,,,tone id an nulls on iron an good to 200 feet....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two suggestions

Minelab Excal 1000 or Excal 800.

One more suggestion, see line above! ;D

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Treasure_Hunter said:
Two suggestions

Minelab Excal 1000 or Excal 800.

One more suggestion, see line above! ;D

they would be my top two to look at first.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree on the depth of the PI, but it will pick up everything.

I dive and I have used many different detectors and have settled on the Excalibur 1000 over the 800. However, both are great, I just prefer the larger coverage of the bigger coil.
The Excal ignors iron and won't have to be ground balanced. It will pick up a gold ring from under a piece of iron where most detectors if they null on the iron, miss the ring completely. It is almost as deep as a PI too. No other can claim that. Minelab has a great service dept. if you ever need service too. I use the Tiger Shark as a back up.

Many guys and gals won't trust anything else in the water.

HH,
Sandman

OP
OP
OutBack Duo

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the great input. This is what makes this Forum so GREAT, we all have a place to come and ask questions about anything and everything.

Just to let everyone know, I am leaning towards the Excal 800 if I can come up with the funds.

OBD.

DIGGITALL

Nov 30, 2005
Im new to water detecting I have been looking at a cobra beach and land detector has any one ever used this machine and is it a good choice there are so many to choose from this one looks good as it can be used on land also and has a discriminator on it too any thoughts thanks diggitall

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep looking, they are not worth buying! You will be wasting your money (Junk). Save or spend a little more and get a better detector. I bought a Cobra and took it back to Kellyco 3 days later and got The Whites BeachHunter ID.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread