AT Pro for water hunting, to CZ21 experiences?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: AT Pro for water hunting, to CZ21 experiences?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Apr 2015
    CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
    1329 times
    Metal Detecting

I have an AT Pro, and it's a fine detector. It's found me plenty of good stuff in salt water. However, it does chatter, and I know that small or deep targets are getting missed because I am ignoring the faint chatter. If I slow down I can find those targets in the chatter, but I am considering upgrading to a CZ-21 to help with these deeper or smaller targets.

I've done some wet sand depth comparisons with by buddy who has a CZ-21 and there was not much difference in depth, so that is not my motivating factor for the change. The boost mode sounds like something I would really use often.

I was hoping to try his CZ but lately we have been on different schedules.

Anyone out there who has upgraded from an AT pro to a CZ-21 give me their experiences?

I'm interested in things like weight difference with and without computer chest mounted, battery life/convenience comparisons, leaking issues, comfort, reliability, etc, comparisons.

Thanks
    Last edited by flgliderpilot; Oct 22, 2015 at 04:59 PM.
    Minelab Equinox 800,Fisher CZ-21, Excalibur II

... waiting to see that elusive dowser on the beach with a bucket of gold rings ...

us
    Detector Collector

May 2015
    Madison, MS
    Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
    2231 times
    I mainly coin shoot, but I also enjoy relic hunting and shallow ocean hunting.
    I cannot compare the AT Pro, but I do have a CZ-20. I have experienced no falsing with it and I love using it on beaches and in the ocean. That's my 2cents, hope it helps.
    Clad - 2 dollars, 274 quarters, 282 dimes, 115 nickels, 787 pennies, 1 foreign
    Older - 1 Barber Half, 1 Walker, 1 Franklin, 1 Seated Qtr, 1 Barber Qtr, 5 Washington, 4 Barber Dimes, 12 Mercs, 13 Rosies
    1 CB Half Dime, 1 Shield, 3 Vs, 8 Buffalos, 4 War Nickels, 10 IHPs, 137 Wheats, 1803 Half Real
    Relics - 1 3-Ringer, 1 Round Ball, Silver fork, 3 pocket knives, Gem Micromatic razor, small compact, Silver bib clip, Silver brush, skeleton key
    Jewelry - 2 Gold rings, 2 Silver rings, Silver bracelet, Silver earring, 3 Silver charms, lady's watch

Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.

Captain Caveman

Charter Member
    us
    ZO6 Guy

Jan 2014
    Los Angeles
    Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
    1331 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Excal II with the hip mount. Doesn't get any lighter than that and goes deeper than you'll want to dig.

us
    Sep 2015
    SoFl
    Excal 2 ~ CTX 3030
    65 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Excal 2- made for the beach.

us
    Apr 2013
    Florida
    Xcal Xterra's DF
    177 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Comparison is futile! You should know that by now.
    ATP....Fresh water
    CZ20/21,ExCal,3030,Whites PI,..........Saltwater

Charter Member
    us
    Surf-N-Turf

Aug 2014
    San Diego
    Fisher CZ-21, Tecnetics Omega 8000, T-Rex 9.5"
    495 times
    Metal Detecting
    The CZ-21 and Excal II are saltwater masterpieces. Hip or chest mount the housing unit and you'll forget its even there! get a CZ-21 or Excal II, and won't ever think about using the AT pro for saltwater again.
    RustyGold, CASPER-2 and Sandman like this.
    "A bad day of metal detecting, is better than a good day at work"

Can You Dig It

U.S. Navy (Retired) 1986-2009

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    Southern California
    Equinox 800 / XP Deus
    8783 times
    I'm a big fan of the Excal II but if you are going to be hunting with your friend maybe you guys will want similar detectors and possibly have the chance to learn it faster as well as head to head challenges to see who does better.
    If you have different detectors you'll always be wondering which brand is better. Not so, theoretically, with both of you using the same machine and all things being equal.
    If you do not see doing too much hunting together then you may want to consider the Excal. You then can go head to head with the Excal users
    Best of luck out there!
    Last edited by RustyGold; Oct 22, 2015 at 11:46 PM.
    Sandman likes this.

“Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.”
    – Albert Einstein

us
    Mar 2010
    Florida
    ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
    4751 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I used my AT Pro for one whole summer hunting with two friends that used CZs...I found just as much as them and just as much gold...for mine to run stable I hunted in standard mode with about 5 bars sensitivity and got very few falses...testing against their CZs with those settings, they got about two inches more depth...those two inches are what made me buy a CZ 21...one day BigMike had a faint solid target and asked me to see if my AT could hear it...I couldn't hear it and when he dug it he came up with a big tungsten ring...two hours later he did the same thing with another deep tungsten I couldn't hear...I love my CZ and my AT Pro is my freshwater machine now...me and my CZ 21 have a relationship.

us
    Georgia Red

Mar 2013
    Valdosta, GA
    Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5 Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado Minelab CTX 3030 Minelab Xterra 305
    2359 times

Did you compare the ATP to the cz in Autotune? Because in that mode I can tell you from owning both that the cz is at least 60-80% deeper. In silent search mode it should be quite deeper also, but the preferred way for me anyway, is to hunt with a background threshold to hear deeper, fainter targets.

The weight and balance of a cz-21 is very bad out of the water (so is the Excal with stock shaft everyone keeps mentioning). I use an Anderson CF underarm shaft that helps balance somewhat over the stock shaft configuration. If I plan on hunting for a long time out of the water, I like to hipmount the control box. I also prefer the 8" coil because I wade and scuba with mine and it is much better than the 10.5 for that IMO.
    Last edited by Fletch88; Oct 23, 2015 at 12:20 AM.
    CASPER-2 likes this.

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    16307 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    DOWN IN FLA. - ID SAY GO WITH THE EXCAL
    this is from someone that is not an Excal fan - so unbiased
    Id say 90%+ of water hunters down there seem to use Excals
    only prob is - you can not hunt next to your friend with the cz21 - youll drive his nuts
    I use CZ21s - I hunt in all metal
    guys down there seem to crank their discrim. and leave a lot of junk behind
    which you will find with a CZ
    they don't think they do - but they lose depth and lose gold when they crank the discrim..
    so you can get what you can or try and get it all
    Fletch88 likes this.
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    31864 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-2 View Post
    DOWN IN FLA. - ID SAY GO WITH THE EXCAL
    this is from someone that is not an Excal fan - so unbiased
    Id say 90%+ of water hunters down there seem to use Excals
    only prob is - you can not hunt next to your friend with the cz21 - youll drive his nuts
    I use CZ21s - I hunt in all metal
    they don't think they do - but they lose depth and lose gold when they crank the discrim..
    If your discriminating at the beach your leaving gold behind...
    lookindown likes this.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

Apr 2015
    1329 times
    Metal Detecting
    great advice, thanks guys!

... waiting to see that elusive dowser on the beach with a bucket of gold rings ...

Apr 2015
    1329 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter View Post
    If your discriminating at the beach your leaving gold behind...
    Our beaches are littered from little iron flakes from a sunken barge. It helps to be able to identity them and move on.
    Last edited by flgliderpilot; Oct 23, 2015 at 06:26 AM.

us
    Jun 2011
    Florida
    678 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-2 View Post
    Interesting you should make mention of this.... I was testing my new at the time CTX on a small beach with buried gold rings and saw a person gridding with an Excal. I went over and talked to him to see if we could use his Excal to compare depths against the CTX.... He made mention of the 3 month slump he was on ....not getting any gold, so I said this should be a good test for you then. On the first gold ring at 8", his Excal didn't hear a thing in PP or Disc. I asked if I could see his settings and he as I expected had his disc turned way up. He hadn't changed his settings since his "friend" showed him what he used at the beach to find gold..... After changing the Disc setting, the Excal found the ring at 8" in both PP and Disc.

Cliff

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    31864 times
    I am constantly talking to people who say they have found no gold with their excal and when I ask what discrimination they are using they tell me settings anywhere between 5-17..
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links