*** Conditions & Strategy for MD Success ***

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a Midwest guy and I'm always fascinated how Beach & shallow water conditions change when metal detecting/hunting around large fresh water lakes.

**** Successful CONDITIONS ****

I've had some of my most successful days MD-ing at the beach:

-After some severe weather, high winds, etc.

-After I see more debris wash up on the beach than usual
2015-10-21 15.58.07.jpg

After the beach was groomed in the Spring or Fall

2015-10-21 15.56.51.jpg 2015-10-21 15.57.04.jpg

If I notice some troughs or some low lying areas where the sand erosion has taken place
....a few inches of sand movement can make a big difference!
2015-10-21 16.26.14.jpg
2015-10-21 15.19.41.jpg

**** Successful STRATEGY ****
Some of my best strategy has come from listening, whether it's ideas on this website-app or just keeping my ears open to new ideas.
Knowing your equipment is key....and that's just hours swing the stick....knowing how your detector acts in various ground conditions.....
We've all dug plenty of pull tabs hoping for some gold rings and if you keep digging those targets you'll eventually wind up with some GOODIES!
(These are the some of my better finds my wife won't take off her finger, not even for a picture)
2015-10-23 11.45.23.jpg
Well I believe that you can always learn something from anyone, sometimes it's things you SHOULD do....and sometimes you learn things NOT to do...it's learning all the same whether we're talking metal detecting...or life!

I know I want to make a greater effort doing research over the winter...from studying history...to studying old maps...figuring out places I want to hunt next spring, etc. might need to do more land detecting & digging too next year.

I would love to hear some of your thoughts on conditions and strategy for success. Is there a time of year you've had better luck? Spring, Summer, Fall or winter?

I would to hear from those of you who detect rivers (never tried, but curious to do so) or the lucky ones who live & detect on east or west coast off the Pacific or Atlantic Oceans (never tried, but hope to do that one day as well)

I know we're having a mild fall here, which will lengthen our MD season!

All the best & Good luck hunting!

Upvote 0

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I love detecting in the ocean but I'm afraid I'll have to leave the advice giving to some of the more seasoned ocean hunters. I did want to reply and thank you for your post though! I'm always glad to get someone else's ideas and perspectives! Thanks again!

OP
OP
NowandThenTreasures

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always curious "where" on the beach folks have had the most success? On the high beach or down by the water? For me it depends.....have found Goodies in both areas.....varies by conditions.....High beach has worked out well for me after big gatherings and holidays....love the low beach too.... Time permitting I try both and stick with whatever seems to be giving me better targets.....but that's the beauty of Treasure Hunting.....you never know....'cause every day is different.

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Our ocean beaches don't get many depositors as the water is cold. Lakes on the other hand get many. I do better in the late summer early fall. Reason is that it is after most depositors have deposited and the water level is lower in the lakes before the rains start coming which means I can go deeper. That being said, I have found most of my gold/silver finds between waist and knee.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always curious "where" on the beach folks have had the most success? On the high beach or down by the water? For me it depends.....have found Goodies in both areas.....varies by conditions.....High beach has worked out well for me after big gatherings and holidays....love the low beach too.... Time permitting I try both and stick with whatever seems to be giving me better targets.....but that's the beauty of Treasure Hunting.....you never know....'cause every day is different.
That's where KNOWING your beach is key. When conditions change and the sand has shifted, you can take advantage of that local knowledge. If it's a new beach to you, or one you haven't hunted in a long time, you need to run a zigzag pattern to find where the higher target concentrations are. Hunt from seawall to surf until you find a pattern of good targets. Then run parallel to the shore and follow that "trough". As I've said before, detect where the targets are, not where you want them to be.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
That's where KNOWING your beach is key. When conditions change and the sand has shifted, you can take advantage of that local knowledge. If it's a new beach to you, or one you haven't hunted in a long time, you need to run a zigzag pattern to find where the higher target concentrations are. Hunt from seawall to surf until you find a pattern of good targets. Then run parallel to the shore and follow that "trough". As I've said before, detect where the targets are, not where you want them to be.

I agree, scout and keep track of.. stay patient.and do the time. Sometimes it will take me a few hours just to find the right spot in the water.. Many times I have thought I should have went else where and then bam.. a few good targets, iron.. then your hitting with consistency ..I work those area like I'm not leaving until I find gold because I know it is there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread