Ccarson

Dec 20, 2014
El Monte,Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt pro,surf pi pro,trx pinpointer
Minelab eureka
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. Here in So cal we have a costal flood warning where they are predicting 6-7 foot waves during high tide but we are also having minus tides as well. Is this going to be a good time to go hit the beach. I normally hunt waist deep up to the high water mark. Anyone want to meet up and hit some shoreline.

Upvote 0

MTJosh

Jan 23, 2014
AZ & Deer Lodge, MT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett propointer Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck. Unfortunately the beaches I scouted only had more fluffy sand. The high tide just pulled more sand off the towel line. Upper slope had some light targets. over 30 crusty zinclons. maybe $1 in clad. Bottom of slope had some gravel starting with mid slope firming but targets still many feet under that area. Just need another 5-20 feet of sand stripped off to make heavy targets start showing. The local beaches are so sanded from over a year of no erosion we need weeks of heavy surf to open things back up. But these waves will help. I did find a few spots with 3-5 foot cuts from above towel line where water rushes back from being splashed up over top lip. Too bad nothing from them as sand under cut fluffy so any good targets already couple feet down. Good luck. Hope you find a pocket

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I agree with MT Josh. Any of the swells coming on CA right now, are ho-hum. They're within norms, not unusual, etc.. So I think the *only* reason you read or heard of a watch alert for "coastal flooding", is probably only because of some very high tides. But those high tides are not being coincided with any particularly un-usual surf/swells.

So if there *is* going to be any erosion (because, of course, flukes occur ALL the time, even in the absence of storms), then it'll be the normal stuff where a) it'll be subtle, and b) you'd have to find those burrs in mother nature's bonnet by driving to multiple beaches to scout (to find any cuts or slopes). But the same can be said of about any time of year.

Maybe I'm just spoiled rotten, I dunno. But I'm waiting for the 15 ft. plus (or 5 ft. plus if from S or SW) to hit us with on-shore howling winds at 6 ft. plus high tides. I'm not being too picky, am I ? haha

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was at a few beaches yesterday in Orange County and I was excited to hit the low low low tide lines and I did... I got NOTHING...Starting to think that our area is a dry sand, recent drops type of situation.... Going out today and tomorrow as well and hopefully it'll be better. And yes, the sand is soft and mushy.. Very sanded in....

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Too bad. I was hoping for a complete strip of the sanded-in beach. The beaches south of the Huntington Beach pier is so thick with sand I'd swear it's 2' deep. Way too much work for this old man!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I was at a few beaches yesterday in Orange County and I was excited to hit the low low low tide lines and I did... I got NOTHING...Starting to think that our area is a dry sand, recent drops type of situation.... Going out today and tomorrow as well and hopefully it'll be better. And yes, the sand is soft and mushy.. Very sanded in....

jeep gold: Yup, when the beach is sanded in and sterile, then the ONLY thing these super minus tides do, is give you lots more sterile sand to walk around in, and FIND NOTHING IN. Aargghhh

We need some good storms :( Where I'm at (monterey bay), we've got beaches that can be affected by any direction of swell: N, NW, W, SW or S. But in So. CA, you guys are best benefited by S and SW or perhaps straight on W. But the moment there's a hint of NW in there, then you get shadowed by Pt. Concepcion, and the Oxnard to Malibu line. But I guess it's all relative to what the acclimated norms are of each beach: Perhaps NW swells (assuming they're big) will create enough slosh effect, even though you're in a shadow ? I've heard that if the swells are NW, then it takes days of back-to-back accumulation effect to erode there. Contrast to S or SW, where a bunch of erosion can occur over a single night.

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm going to give it a try tomorrow am anyway. You never know...I found a small little cut last time this happened weeks ago and it gave up a couple rings. I'll regret not going if I see one of you guys post gold tomorrow lol.

El Niño, I'm waiting......

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just high tides, no real surf, but some business on the beach did get flooding and a few collage girls from Canada needed to be plucked off the beach when caught in the high tide and the face of a cliff in the San Diego area. Wait for Dec/Jan when the big stuff gets here and gets rid of the overburden that has been building on the beaches since 2008 (last really big action here).:2barsgold:

S

stefen

There are times when I miss the OC beaches...but here heavy traffic is 3 cars on HWY 101 at the same time (all 2 lanes).

In OC, its a solid parking lot

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
At least I still get the warm weather and the hotties in thongs... that alone is better than park hunting as I soon will be until storms do there magic..

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did find a 2 ft cut out there SoCal folks. Pulled a 10k band, silver band, silver pendant, plus a junker. As you can see, they've been there awhile. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1446050007.718633.jpg

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job on being at the right place at the right time! 8-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread