Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife and I are planning a trip to Florida and the Caribbean for about a week total. I am planning to bring the Excal II and am wondering what the best way is to pack the machine for travel. I currently do not have any type of travel bag for it. Also am planning on buying a scoop for the trip and was wondering what the best options were. If there are any other "hiccups" y'all have dealt with, I would be grateful to hear them. Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to conform to the size of carry-on. Most airlines I have been traveling on do not allow duffel bag as carry on. I used the hard shell golf bag for years...then the airlines started charging $75 each way for the oversize case.
I now have the lightest / largest allowable hard shell suitcase that I can pack all my gear and clothing in. Keeping it under the 45 or 50 pound max weight it tough at times. It is best to check out the airline's baggage regulations before packing and leaving the house. Remember to observe the carry on item regulations also. I have had to give up a small pen knife, digging tool and sun screen...put these items in your check on. Keep in mind also that not all airline are the same. Check the regs for the airline(s) you are flying on. Good luck and enjoy the warm water.

Ive never ever had a prob with my bag as a carry on - Ive used the cz21 hardcase before - had a double shotgun gun case that I cut foam to fit 2 machines perfect - worked great till a TSA guy decided to flip the combo locks on it which I had not set do to the new regs about locking suitcases
and upon my arrival - had to break into my case
American and US air and southwest - never had a prob

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Don't know what airline you fly on but any I've ever been on allow one carry on bag. People need to bring **** on the plane with them. Hello? Not talking about a big ass duffle bag. A nap sack! Excal or most detectors will break down and fit in a nap sack carry on bag. Put all your other inexpensive stuff like your scoop and diggers in your suitcase.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to make clear - mine is not a duffle bag - it might look big in pic but its a baseball or sports equipment bag
it has a pocket for your cleats = dive boots
a pocket for your glove = mask
it has a long zippered pocket the length of the bottom for bats = lower rod(s)
I wrap a towel around both boxes and wrap coil(s) with bathing trunks and a water shirt
it does make it easier that I have small coils
the pouch I carry on for finds has a chest/hip mount for my machine on it
another reason to bring a mask on trips - most all Carrib. water is clear
if they were to lose my equipment suitcase (which happened yrs ago)
I can wear mask and fan if I have no scoop - and if I have lower rod - I can
attach something to it (broom handle pvc tubing -what ever) and chest mount it and still hunt

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread