flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been saving for my CZ-21 but I'm finding all of these posts about the case cracking, and leaks. I called around and was told that the very first batches of CZ-21's had bad cases. Ok, no problem, I could live with that, it happens. But then I found a post less than a year old with pictures of cracks on a brand new detector which had never had the batteries replaced, and never had the battery compartment opened by the owner. This makes me nervous.

Is this a common problem?

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive never heard of anything about cz21s cracking
I own 3 - cases are built like a tank - if you don't put gasket in properly - then like any machine you will have leaks

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Casper, this is encouraging. I'm hoping this cracking is just a low percentage of defective units. It happens, I own my own small business manufacturing parts and yes we occasionally have defects.

This is what you would be looking for (the fine cracks around the screw ear, and around cord compression fitting).

Attachments

• crack2.jpg
    crack2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 119
  • crack1.jpg
    crack1.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 124
  • crack3.jpg
    crack3.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 129

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never had any problems with mine. I've replaced the batteries numerous times also. Like Casper said, " it's built like a tank".

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, thanks. I guess I'll go ahead with the purchase :) Hoping for the best!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All water machines will have their issues but the CZ21s break down less than any of the others.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those lines in the housing aren't cracks, they are lines that are there from the mold...mine has the exact same fine lines in the exact same places...but those are cracks at the screws though...maybe from over tightening...those could cause an issue.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is a story I wrote for another forum the spring =I had always wanted to use my CZ21 at a land relic hunt up against the guys
with the expensive land machines =It performed awesome (out of like 150+ guys I think I was in the top 10 for good finds)- I modified the story cause I had a lot of names in it very few here might recognize

how my machine saved my life or at least a trip to the hospital -
At the end of day one at a large organized Civil War hunt- I was hunting with friends - we had hit the south western end of the property early and partner had heard they got some buttons at the very northern end - so we headed up there. We all went off in different directions - I ended up running into an old friend and a few other guys.
I was on top of a small bluff and working my way down. There was another hunter about 20 yards away from me
I was swinging away and watching him swing. Next thing I know - I went down like a ton of bricks - I blacked out for a few seconds I think from the whiplash I got when I hit.
Other hunter came running to my side asking if I was okay. I was slumped over a dead tree and thought I was impaled. I was on my knees and looked down and saw I was being supported by a dead branch that looked like it was going into my chest. I pulled myself off it and started to pull pieces of dead wood from side of my chest. Other hunter asked again if I was okay - I looked back and saw that I had tripped on a piece of barbwire that was under the leaves and about an inch off the ground. I was dazed from the fall and could see my shirt was ripped - my chest stung and hurt a little, but I had visions of being stuck on that branch and having to be taken to a hospital. I heard a car horn and thought it was my guys ready to head back to the hotel. I met my crew at the suv and told them what happened. I looked at the shirt holes and could see I was bleeding - I had blood running down my side from the larger cut (pic is after clean up) , but it seemed to have stopped. As I was talking to my friend about it, I was taking off my equipment and noticed I had two gouged scratches down the box of my CZ21. Now the CZ21 is a heavy machine to swing mounted on its handle. Usually you would hip mount it, but with all the walking and crawling through the brush I was doing - I decided to wear it on my chest. So my box was over my left breast. Had I had it anywhere else - that branch would have got me in the heart area. I would have easily broke ribs or worse. You can see that the branch hit the box and slid off and caught me under my armpit instead. My CZ21 took that full force hit and im a slightly big guy and came out with just those scratches - which says a lot for the product too. I did well with it find wise in the hunt and it took a beating and is still ticking..and so am I.
2thumb.gif

PS - late in the third day - I was hunting with Josh from Dig Wars show - he got a call from Larry from Dig Wars and Rebel Gold show
long story short - headed out with another friend to find Larry and crew. Friend told me to give him a yell if I could see them - I got out about 50 yrds from him and once again went down like a sack of potatoes - this time tripped on wire fence under the leaves. I cut my elbow up landing on a rock, but he saw just how hard I went down -he yelled if I was okay and I gave a wave - landed face down and once again landed on my box of my machine - got to wonder how many other machines would have taken those hits with out needing repairs
I was worried about the next time I took it in the water - ive been using my other two - but this is the machine I finally took out and found the recent gold cameo ring with
so no worries I guess
419794_1.jpg 419794_2.jpg

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story Casper. Sorry you took two hard hits to be able to tell it. Yeah that CZ definitely took a beating.

I'm hoping to have my CZ before Christmas.

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those lines in the housing aren't cracks, they are lines that are there from the mold...mine has the exact same fine lines in the exact same places...but those are cracks at the screws though...maybe from over tightening...those could cause an issue.

Right, I'm less concerned about the cracks in the door, because the door is cheap and easy to replace. I'm interested in this one, is this just a mold mark?

Attachments

• crack2.jpg
    crack2.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 104

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right, I'm less concerned about the cracks in the door, because the door is cheap and easy to replace. I'm interested in this one, is this just a mold mark?
Yeah, Ive got the exact same marks on both sides...it came that way.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That definitely looks like a crack on the battery door from over tightening or storing for long periods over tightened.
I also noticed rust/ corrosion on outside of gasket that probably leached through from the screw. I like clean the screws and use a light coat of grease on the screws to prevent corrosion or galling in the threaded insert in detector housing. I also loosen the battery door screws a little when my cz is going to set up for a while. This keeps the gasket from getting flattened or putting stress on plastic door that can cause cracking.

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That definitely looks like a crack on the battery door from over tightening or storing for long periods over tightened.
I also noticed rust/ corrosion on outside of gasket that probably leached through from the screw. I like clean the screws and use a light coat of grease on the screws to prevent corrosion or galling in the threaded insert in detector housing. I also loosen the battery door screws a little when my cz is going to set up for a while. This keeps the gasket from getting flattened or putting stress on plastic door that can cause cracking.

Good idea about the screws. I finally have the $ for my CZ-21.. will probably order it tomorrow. :D

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang........... i had to look at the picture a little closer Casper to realize it was your arm and chest.:laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UPDATE:

My CZ-21 will be here MONDAY!

KellyCo totally hooked me up, great service.

THANKS GUYS!

AT pro will get it's last salt water bath this weekend.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've been saving for my CZ-21 but I'm finding all of these posts about the case cracking, and leaks. I called around and was told that the very first batches of CZ-21's had bad cases. Ok, no problem, I could live with that, it happens. But then I found a post less than a year old with pictures of cracks on a brand new detector which had never had the batteries replaced, and never had the battery compartment opened by the owner. This makes me nervous.

Is this a common problem?

those cracks in the picture you posted are from over tightening the battery. Just follow what they say and it wont happen. it is common if you over tighten them.

Last edited:

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the first cz21 where manufactured they had a red light on its control panel. That was the weak point as they would often crack. The newer detectors don't have that light on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread