excal has lost depth problem

ghost of scrounger

Jan 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wondering why the excal2 seem enemic on dpth. bought from reliable seller new jan 2012. havent had it out in ayear. seemed i wasnt getting good depth. air test against etrac proved it. about 5 or 6 in on a quarter where i used to get a good eight.etrac good for about 10 in on same. battery is good.
any thoughts. tested in air above
dry sand beach. no other metal present

Upvote 0

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ETrac has tons of sensitivity, in AUTO is it too much for my area and I almost always have to run it on manual , then again I have never been a fan of Auto-Sensitivity. The Excal should be a beast in wet sand, the BBS is supposed to use the Salt to go deeper than it can in air. No BBS machine should get the depth in dry sand it would in Salty wet sand.

OP
OP
G

ghost of scrounger

Jan 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for reply. Was tested off end of picnic table in air only when new.I will try retest
Same way to see if it makes any difference.vs. over sand 😆

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should get about 8" on an air test on a quarter... I don't know what your sensitivity was set at. Scounger is correct, Minelabs get far more depth in actual in ground hunting than air tests...

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Only one way to find out.. get your boo-boo to the beach and hit some wet sand/tide line.

OP
OP
G

ghost of scrounger

Jan 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should get about 8" on an air test on a quarter... I don't know what your sensitivity was set at. Scounger is correct, Minelabs get far more depth in actual in ground hunting than air tests...

OK I will try buried coin test before assuming
Problems

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
are you sure your sensitivity is set up right?

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Air testing as stated earlier isn't worth squat. The other day I pulled out the excal since the CTX is out for a minor repair and wanted to remind myself of the annoying penny tones of the excal before I took her to the beach. I laid her on top of my garage workhorse and could get tones of various things at around 8 inches or so. I KNOW that my excal will get a target in the wet MUCH MUCH deeper than that. It is true that a ground test in the WET will truly tell you how good it is or not.
Just get it to the beach and report back. Best of luck.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Silient room airtest

Make sure to check your volume knob (full) and make sure no knobs are misaligned. Air test with no coil cover also.

A few test I ran back in 2010 I believe...

Targets.. All 14k, small band 3.7grams, Med Band 4.5 grams, Larger Band think it was close to 6 grams, then a US Nickel

OBN0389.jpg

Air test results, Excalibur Blue and Excalibur II's, Stock coils, 800 and 1000

DSC_9489.jpg

And the test rig

OBN0390.jpg

Last edited:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok dumb question what should the sensitivity be set at on the Excal. To get the best depth.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok dumb question what should the sensitivity be set at on the Excal. To get the best depth.
Every beach is different, even different parts of same beach sometimes are different. What I do is set sensitivity so it is stable then bump it up just a hair hotter. If it isn't stable you will constantly be hearing false signals.

fsa46

Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites DFPI, 2 @ Excalibur II, 2 @ Sovereign GT w/ 10" & 8" Tornado coils, 2@ 10x12 SEF coils all on their own rods, Whites MXT Pro , 2@ Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice test rig Joe. I like it.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice test rig Joe. I like it.

Thanks Frank, Hope your well my friend.

Originally Posted by mlayers ok dumb question what should the sensitivity be set at on the Excal. To get the best depth.

Treasure Hunter.......Every beach is different, even different parts of same beach sometimes are different. What I do is set sensitivity so it is stable then bump it up just a hair hotter. If it isn't stable you will constantly be hearing false signals.

I agree with treasure hunter but one little detail to add specially on older or sanded in beach's where targets can be Just out of range. I do as Treasure hunter said then as I find a deep faint target then I will adjust to the best report in PP. From there I will set it up a notch to where it falses a little (On the edge). After hunting this way I have got use to good and false targets, (most of the time). Checking iffy targets and faints with the wiggle-wiggle of the coil has really made a different in my 2015 totals.

OP
OP
G

ghost of scrounger

Jan 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure to check your volume knob (full) and make sure no knobs are misaligned. Air test with no coil cover also.

A few test I ran back in 2010 I believe...

Targets.. All 14k, small band 3.7grams, Med Band 4.5 grams, Larger Band think it was close to 6 grams, then a US Nickel

View attachment 1235711

Air test results, Excalibur Blue and Excalibur II's, Stock coils, 800 and 1000

View attachment 1235712

And the test rig

View attachment 1235714
Love the test rig! I can see the last two entries of the test chart
Were 800 and 1000 blue logo. Cannot read the first 3 entries
On chart what duzzit say? Thanx

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used