Jan 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
u can't fix stupid

After complaint about excal2 depth loss decided
To watch video on setting depth.have u checked
Settings someone asks.sure,right couldn't be that stupid
Sure enough! All other pots /knobs on excal are
Low to high clockwise sensitivity ,tho,is reversed.
Not to mention the swoosh graphic that is on the
Volume and threshold knob look a lot like the sub
Aqua graphic. Anyway it is clearly labeled1 thru 10.
Chalk it up to over excitement. But I feel really stupid.
Better than broken I guess. Hours spent hunting the wet
Set at minimum sensitivity.ughhhh ! And arrrggg!

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We have ALL made one major mistake or another. Chalk it up, learn the lesson well, and charge on brother - Big Gold! :occasion14:

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That's ok ..I thought my excal battery took a dump on me. I kept charging it and would then go to a local beach. After about ten minutes I'd get the WHAHOOO every 30 seconds meaning the battery is about to die. WTH?!!! I later realized (after THREE times doing this in a row) that I was turning "off" my sensitivity and not the threshold (which turns on/off the excal), meaning I kept it on non-stop even while charging. .. God I felt like a tard. At least I bought a new battery in the process.

OP
OP
G

ghost of scrounger

Jan 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks I feel better.at least the coil don't need replace. Unfortunately headed back north.
No beach for me til Dec.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol....don't feel to bad....I've been detecting for 20 plus years and a couple of years back I was getting all kinds of false signals turns out I was wearing steel toed boots....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Lol....don't feel to bad....I've been detecting for 20 plus years and a couple of years back I was getting all kinds of false signals turns out I was wearing steel toed boots....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

well then technically, you weren't falsing. It was doing it's job..

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
It'll be a pleasure to detect after you at the beach LoL .... thanks for leaving everything untouched, in place to let the other make the finds :laughing7:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats ok. How about sorting through a pile of dry sand wondering why everything sounds like a good target when you wave it in front of the coil.

Then you realize that today, you are still wearing your watch on your left wrist. I'm sure it was amusing for those watching me.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
How bout swinging for a good 20 min and then realizing I hadn't turned my AT Pro back on. Someone wanted to talk to me so I shut it off.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
I have had issues before. I did the same thing you did. I played with the machine for like 5 minutes. I just got it that day. Used but never used brand new. Panic. It couldn't pick up my scoop. Uhg. I think I went inside and back out and went ... "Oh". Duh.

Ive forgotten my headphones. Went out with dead batteries. I dumped a pinpointer this year. I lost another one two years back.

I was heated about the pinpointer this year. I swam around for an hour looking for it in the surf. Hhgl-Joe

After complaint about excal2 depth loss decided
To watch video on setting depth.have u checked
Settings someone asks.sure,right couldn't be that stupid
Sure enough! All other pots /knobs on excal are
Low to high clockwise sensitivity ,tho,is reversed.
Not to mention the swoosh graphic that is on the
Volume and threshold knob look a lot like the sub
Aqua graphic. Anyway it is clearly labeled1 thru 10.
Chalk it up to over excitement. But I feel really stupid.
Better than broken I guess. Hours spent hunting the wet
Set at minimum sensitivity.ughhhh ! And arrrggg!

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been the victim before on a dead battery. Like you i charged it a couple of times just to finally see....... someone had unplugged the charger.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
like dogs and cats --you can fix stupid --but it is rather painful ....... note .... do not wear steel toed boots while detecting

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It just shows you are human like the rest of us. Glad you got it figured out and hope you find something terrific with it.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've switched the sunray probe on(one of my older machines)pinpointed then just got up and started swinging without switching back to coil.eventually I realised it was just too quiet.since this happened...oh...a dozen or more times I'g going with cant fix stupid.

One of those times my wife crossed the area I just"hunted" and pulled a nice 925 ring.she says"honey look...right next to your foot print"

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How bout swinging for a good 20 min and then realizing I hadn't turned my AT Pro back on. Someone wanted to talk to me so I shut it off.
I do that every now and then with my CZ21 in the water...luckily I always realize it within 5 minutes...I also found a gold ring in the water in the first few minutes of a hunt...I took it up to my wife on the beach and hurried back in the water...went about a 100 yards and hit a target...realized I didn't have my scoop...it was stuck in the sand by my wifes chair...I felt like an idiot.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are not alone. My first Minelab was a Sovereign Elite. I would crank that sensitivity all the way to the right. Strange though, I still found targets 4-6" deep. Gotta love minelabs.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Been there done that .

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Well after reading through this thread I decided take the excal out to the beach and see just how deep I can get it. I have a Excal 1000 ,hunt in pinpoint, and use a 15" WOT. After a few hours of water line hunting I decided to give it a super good shot. I turned the sens as high as tolerable, turned the threshold to an annoying bee in my ear, tightened down my beanie around my gray ghosts and took to listening to faints and thres breaks . I also use a Trex 9.5 scoop. ITS BIG.

Heres the interesting: I hit on a faint that was actually a null until i got about 1 solid scoop down. Then it turned into a faint. 2 more full scoops down it had a thres break. Another scoop it got a tone in pp. switched to discrim and it was kinda there. Another scoop down.. THATS 5 ! and i pulled a bobby pin... Worthless in "worth" but priceless in knowing that my excal can go DEEP!

Ive been hunting the past couple of months with my CTX because I simply hate pennies and it's a cool new machine. I love the ID's, but I think I get hung up on the numbers. The excal is simple and to the point. I might start treating my CTX the same way and rely MUCH more on the thres breaks and tones instead of the ID's. I still hate those 12.37's though. (Pennies)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread