Jan 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
u can't fix stupid

After complaint about excal2 depth loss decided
To watch video on setting depth.have u checked
Settings someone asks.sure,right couldn't be that stupid
Sure enough! All other pots /knobs on excal are
Low to high clockwise sensitivity ,tho,is reversed.
Not to mention the swoosh graphic that is on the
Volume and threshold knob look a lot like the sub
Aqua graphic. Anyway it is clearly labeled1 thru 10.
Chalk it up to over excitement. But I feel really stupid.
Better than broken I guess. Hours spent hunting the wet
Set at minimum sensitivity.ughhhh ! And arrrggg!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

ghost of scrounger

Jan 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well after reading through this thread I decided take the excal out to the beach and see just how deep I can get it. I have a Excal 1000 ,hunt in pinpoint, and use a 15" WOT. After a few hours of water line hunting I decided to give it a super good shot. I turned the sens as high as tolerable, turned the threshold to an annoying bee in my ear, tightened down my beanie around my gray ghosts and took to listening to faints and thres breaks . I also use a Trex 9.5 scoop. ITS BIG.

Heres the interesting: I hit on a faint that was actually a null until i got about 1 solid scoop down. Then it turned into a faint. 2 more full scoops down it had a thres break. Another scoop it got a tone in pp. switched to discrim and it was kinda there. Another scoop down.. THATS 5 ! and i pulled a bobby pin... Worthless in "worth" but priceless in knowing that my excal can go DEEP!

Ive been hunting the past couple of months with my CTX because I simply hate pennies and it's a cool new machine. I love the ID's, but I think I get hung up on the numbers. The excal is simple and to the point. I might start treating my CTX the same way and rely MUCH more on the thres breaks and tones instead of the ID's. I still hate those 12.37's though. (Pennies)
Nice test. In the water I will dig everything you just never know

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Oh so do I, it just sucks when you dig 20 pennies back to back to back to back to.........

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I've stopped working on Excalibur's but I have had a few stupid's, and a few that came in with the same issues when all that was needed was an knob adjustment. The latest was just the same as yours, volume control turned down. Close Friend asked me to look at his Excalibur, I tested it after he set all up .. no target in PP and a very small report in Disc.. I get it home test again a few days later, volume knob had slipped, looked to be set at full.. so a simple change of all the knobs was a easy one. It happens and we learn, well most of the time.

I guess one of the slowest lessons I have learn, ... when the machine is submerged and you start getting any nasty crackling leave at once and check for leaks. Thought I had fixed a leak on a machine by replacing the o rings, which were in dire need. And I had replace the battery since it had a nice crack that could easily be seen near endcap. Took it in the pool for a quick spin, started within a 30 seconds.. acting stupid.. got out of the pool, looked inside..water. Luckily I saved the board since it was fresh water. a very close inspection I noticed the main Pod had a crack in it, . Since the battery pod was cracked why did I not think of checking the pod itself. Came to the conclusion that the detector was used for diving and the owner often set his tanks on the detector bag when packing away all in the trunk.

This is the reason Now I refer all to Kelly co.. or Dave.. no more headaches

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
old excals... but new to me...
Old screw who owned a bunch of detectors and an elder in Mding said he had been reading up on the blues...
He tells me about settings and says... "the best part of the excal is the discrim it is supposed to work great" ...
As he checks out my new detector he adjusts the knobs and says "run it like this if you don't want to dig iron"...
Just about this time a major storm ripped up coast... best one in years...
I pack up and make a trip...
Get to beaches and start working it...
worked for over 3 days...
I am getting no iron and getting random hits...
I am thinking beaches are clean... I mean I am on a beach that is the most detected in Florida...
Then I notice it...
Discrim knob is on 11.
I am thinking "why did he set this so high"...
I brought it down to 3... heh
THIS is AFTER working it for days... ALL day.

I eventually notched it to 0 after figuring it out...

Who knows what I walked over.

PS<> and also a NOTE TO MINELAB... I have never understood WHY this knob goes to the level it does.
This is ? ? ? perplexing.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Between the getting married one and the 11 discrim, I call those two a tie for winners. But then again I do have a blackened heart....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread