flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been using an old garrett pouch because I like the two pockets and two zippers, but one zipper has broken and the pouch does not drain water and has always been sort of a pain in that regard. The camo pattern does prove the guys swimming that I am not just fishing for shells on my vacation but it's time to move on.

Any recommendations for a water pouch which drains quickly and will carry both keepers and large aluminum and crab trap trash?

I looked at dive pouches but they were a single pocket and too small for trash.

Thanks!!!

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
would not say theres a best - I use 2 different varieties from kellyco
its more about comfort and what you want
easy access - etc

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I use the one listed and love it with its big junk and smaller goodies pouch. The large side will take soda cans. Nothing in its construction will rust. Adjustable for use in the summer with bathing suit and winter with 5mil waders and 2mil jacket. (my waist is 40") I have carried broken glass, sharp pieces of metal, fish hooks, nails, part of crab and lobster pot, sparkler wires etc, all with no problems. The material has not been torn or punctured. A straight piece of wire, bobby pins and the like can go through the mesh on the bottom of each section's drain. I'll bend them before putting into the pouch and IF one should escape - oh well.

BUT TAKE NOTE:

The pouch can be purchased with one of two width belts a 1 1/2 and a 2 inch belt. If you are going to hip mount a detector on the belt, make sure they will fit each other. I have the 2 inch belt, my detectors fit the belt and my summer detecting partner has the 1 1/2 inch wide belt...we know who's is who's just by looking at the belt.

I also have three other types, a mesh soda can size pouch. It is great unless I get large pieces of trash. A single pouch that has a neoprene top with one slit in it and drain holes. It was my favorite for years, but held too much sand which the above ones do not.
Lastly...the nail aprons - cloth, nylon and leather - not bad if you tie quick disconnects on the to eliminate the need to tie them on.
Too bad if the tied knot lets go and you loose it in the surf.
With all pouched in heavy surf: they have a tendency to flip upside down. Solution: put a rock or big (4oz) sinker in the pouch before starting you search.
HH

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
I found a 10.00 scuba pouch that has a provision to run your belt behind it. It's a thicker and more open netted pouch and to me is more secure than a plastic clip type belt...

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a good solution in the meantime. I used a soldering iron to melt drain holes into the Garrett pouch.

Problem solved.

That pouch looks nice, will definitely replace the Garrett pouch with that soon.

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been using this one for at least 15 years. It's a great water hunting pouch. Well, that is unless you enjoy your pouch being half-filled with sand.

Has it been around that long. Man I'm getting old. I've used the same for maybe 7 years, I really think it maybe the best for me, I Now have two, one as a backup. One thing I have encountered now, my gut is getting bigger So I have moved it up from my waist to my chest. With it being higher I can see the opening better when using drysuit or neoprene gloves. I aquasealed two belt loops to my drysuit to do this.

Also experimenting with the fact that maybe once you get several sinkers or other larger metal objects there maybe a very slight draw on the signal from the detector.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has it been around that long. Man I'm getting old. I've used the same for maybe 7 years, I really think it maybe the best for me, I Now have two, one as a backup.

I'm on my second one, but I have been using this same maker for a long time. I started water hunting 15 years ago, I don't remember experimenting with different pouches. I think it has always been this one. I could be wrong the age but it should be close.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions