Detector for beach searching

Cruzthepug

Greenie
Nov 7, 2015
Huntsville, Alabama
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Detector for beach hunting

Without looking through hundred's of threads, thought I would ask (probably for the millionth time), what's detector should I buy to search on the beach?

My wife and I just recently purchased a condo in Gulf Shores, Alabama and thought it might be fun to buy a detector and do some beach hunting. I've never had a detector before so this will be my first venture into the hobby. I started my search online looking at reviews from different sights and the stumbled across this forum and I've alway been one to get a lot more accurate information from this media than reading written reviews. So far I've picked up that a unit that works good in dry sand does not necessarily work that well in wet sand (or saltwater). With that said, what little I've seen so far points me toward a Garrett Ace 250.

I'm open for suggestions for units to look at and also any accessories I need to get started. I'll probably buy something in the next couple of days as we're heading down to the condo on the 17th. I'm flexible on budget, if I can find something under $300 (i.e. the Ace 250) that's great, but if there is something better for $500 then I would consider that as well, but I think that would be about the top of the budget for a first purchase. I'll buy online and probably start off looking on eBay, unless directed elsewhere.

Thanks in advance for any advice and information. It must be a good omen that I found this site, when I registered the security pic to enter the phrase was "212", that is our condo unit number, I have to be off to a good start.

Thanks again,
Steve

Last edited:
Upvote 0

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ace 250 will work great on the dry sand, but it will suck terribly when you try to search the wet sand. You'll find it immediately starts falsing . If you notch out that false reading and turn sensitivity down about half way, it will work (sort of) in the wet sand. For dry land hunting it works well.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if you want to hunt the wet sand forget the ace, it's good for dry, but not the wet:BangHead:. Try the white's treasure pro, it's well in you price range. Or a used fisher CZ 7 a pro. If you want more detector without breaking the bank there is the MX5 also. All three of these :icon_thumleft:detector have a wet sand or beach setting.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Cruzthepug

Cruzthepug

Greenie
Nov 7, 2015
Huntsville, Alabama
Primary Interest:
Well if you want to hunt the wet sand forget the ace, it's good for dry, but not the wet:BangHead:. Try the white's treasure pro, it's well in you price range. Or a used fisher CZ 7 a pro. If you want more detector without breaking the bank there is the MX5 also. All three of these :icon_thumleft:detector have a wet sand or beach setting.

So, I guess the question should be. Is the best hunting in dry sand (above the high tide line) or in wet sand (below the tide line)?

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More coins in the dry, more jewelry in the wet I hunt both

OP
OP
Cruzthepug

Cruzthepug

Greenie
Nov 7, 2015
Huntsville, Alabama
Primary Interest:
So a unit that works well in the dry is no good for wet, will a unit that works well in the wet work okay in the dry? Or would you need 2 different detectors?

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So a unit that works well in the dry is no good for wet, will a unit that works well in the wet work okay in the dry? Or would you need 2 different detectors?

one detector to do both, the detectors I suggested all work well, but the CZ works the best in the wet as it's a duel hz machine, runs at 5hz and 15hz. The CZ downfall is lack of a DD coil, IMO.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is about it unless you want to go top end with a Minelab 3030. You can get the AT Pro to work (somewhat) in wet sand and saltwater if you are willing to sacrifice anything deeper then 4 or 5 inches. It is a very good machine on dry land and fresh water. It is also waterproof. Be aware that most machines will get water damaged if the box gets wet either from rain, setting on the sand and a wave comes in or even hosing it off to get rid of the sand.

When I first started the sales rep asked if I thought I would like the hobby. When I said yes he said to skip the 250 or 350 and get the ATP. That was good advice. I moved on the the 3030 and was able to sell off the ATP and recover almost 80% of my cost! Before buying online call a couple of the sites vendors and get quotes. Vendors cannot advertise their real prices on things due to fair trade restrictions. That is why you will see "freebies" thrown in.

Don't forget to buy recover tools such as a sand scoop, digger and pinpointer. These will dramatically increase your enjoyment of the hobby.

OP
OP
Cruzthepug

Cruzthepug

Greenie
Nov 7, 2015
Huntsville, Alabama
Primary Interest:
How about headphones? Will any set work or are the detector specific headphones? I have a set of Bose I was planning on using.

4642053cv19a.jpg;canvasHeight=500;canvasWidth=500.jpeg

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any detector works in dry sand, only specialized detectors work in wet salt sand or the water.

Far more gold is found in the wet sand/water than is ever found in dry sand.

$500 budget barely gets you in the water detectors with only a couple choices so if you really want to hunt saltwater beaches make $500 the bottom of your budget or look at used and even there your limited. Salt water is highly corrosive when it comes to electronics, and remember salt water is metal minerals so cheap detector is going to think there is metal ever where and constantly false unless you turn sensitivity way down and when you do that your cutting down your depth and limiting yourself to very shallow to surface finds...

Remember the better detector you buy the higher the resale value if you decide to sell down the road... As example a $1500 Minelab Excal is still worth $800-$900 10 years later....

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without looking through hundred's of threads, thought I would ask (probably for the millionth time), what's detector should I buy to search on the beach?

My wife and I just recently purchased a condo in Gulf Shores, Alabama and thought it might be fun to buy a detector and do some beach hunting. I've never had a detector before so this will be my first venture into the hobby. I started my search online looking at reviews from different sights and the stumbled across this forum and I've alway been one to get a lot more accurate information from this media than reading written reviews. So far I've picked up that a unit that works good in dry sand does not necessarily work that well in wet sand (or saltwater). With that said, what little I've seen so far points me toward a Garrett Ace 250.

I'm open for suggestions for units to look at and also any accessories I need to get started. I'll probably buy something in the next couple of days as we're heading down to the condo on the 17th. I'm flexible on budget, if I can find something under $300 (i.e. the Ace 250) that's great, but if there is something better for $500 then I would consider that as well, but I think that would be about the top of the budget for a first purchase. I'll buy online and probably start off looking on eBay, unless directed elsewhere.

Thanks in advance for any advice and information. It must be a good omen that I found this site, when I registered the security pic to enter the phrase was "212", that is our condo unit number, I have to be off to a good start.

Thanks again,
Steve

I see no one has recommended the Nokta Fors Core yet. It's a $595.00 VLF machine and works great in dry or wet sand.
It is far better than an AT Pro for what you will be doing.....beach hunting. The Core has a beach mode.
If you want to get a good used machine on ebay.....look at the CZ-20. You can get a used one for around 450-500. You won't have a warranty with it,
and if something goes wrong with it, you will have to get it upgraded for around $300.
The Nokta Fors Core is the best beach machine in the 600 price range and you will have a warranty.
It discriminates bottle caps and aluminum foil very easily, once you learn the machine and what it is telling you.
It gets very good depth also on coins and jewelry.....in dry and wet sand.
KellyCo has them available.
You want a machine that will run smoothly in the wet sand area and the Core will do it.
If you want to spend more money and get a CZ-21 or a Minelab Excalibur, then either of those are the best beach hunters and they are waterproof.
Only the coil on the Nokta is waterproof.

Last edited:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unfortunately it's a slippery slope, once you hit the wet sand you will want to go into the water. Used AT Pro is still the least expensive route with the most possibilities I think.

Last edited:

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro tiger shark. Works great in dry sand, salt water and completely under water...diving?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Tesoro Vaquera and it does well in both. Secret for the wet sand is you have to lower the sensitivity and up the discrimination. Found 4 gold goodies in the past month, but all were in the in-between sand - not really wet, but not dry either.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
I learned A LONG TIME AGO to not buy something that is so so when you KNOW that you'll want better later. If you are truly content on NEVER getting near the wet sand then get a 350.00 detector. TRUST ME when I say, after some time and some more knowledge, you'll want in that wet.... Hold off and keep saving. Bang for bucks value I would absolutely save for a used excalibur. You can find anew excellent the used one for 800. Buy a straight shafts or make one and you my friend will quickly earn that $ back in finds. Don't forget you'll also need a GOOD scoop , . Those are near the budget of what u set for your detector. It's not cheap to start up, but once you are set up, you'll be good For a long time..
Excuse errors as I'm on my phone....

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch Terry's video before you decide. I'd add a couple more candidates to his list of recommended makes and models. The Minelab CTX 3030 is a very good (and expensive) choice as well as the Garrett Infinium LS. The CTX will discriminate great. The Infinium, not so much. Both have excellent depth and can handle virtually any beach conditions. With your budget, I'd probably look at a used Fisher CZ20 or a used Sand Shark or Sea Hunter. You can start with a cheaper model sand scoop if your just going to hit the dry sand, but, if you get into the wet, the cheap ones will fail pretty quickly. At least get one with a back brace so you can step on it without crushing the basket.

sonnar28

Dec 2, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My suggestion would be a used Minelab Sovereign. Lots of coils to choose from, simple "beep and dig" machine, stable in wet sand. It has an audio learning curve, but most people dig all non-iron targets in the wet sand anyway. You can chest mount it for very shallow water hunting. If you hip mount it, you will feel like you are dancing. Used regularly, it will pay for a waterproof machine and then some.

Good luck with whatever you get. HH

Charles

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
I have an excal and a 3030. Yes the 3030 is amazing. I also love the simplicity and durability of the excal. Thing is, he's on a budget. 350 to 3000 is a jump and then some. I'm sure he wants something well under a grand. He still needs other equipment like a scoop, pouch, maybe a pinpointer. Etc...I don't feel a 3030 is worth it unless he's either full time or very close to it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions