I need some tips from the pros!

Markram

Nov 17, 2015
Toronto
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey there everyone!
My name is Mark and I'm new to this forum community and I have taken a great interest in treasure hunting ever since I watched youtube videos of people finding rings, rare coins, and jewelry. I'm particularly interested in shallow water treasure hunting. I don't have any metal detectors because I'm still new to this ;)
I currently attend the University of Toronto Scarborough and there's a fantastic forest, parks, and a creek next to the campus. First off, yes people are allowed to wade in the creek and are allowed to do mild digging. I'm planning on doing some basic scanning and scraping at the creek. Any suggestions on which places in particular in creeks have goodies? I'm pretty sure I won't find any gold nuggets, but the parks along the creek are a good sign of potential rings and coins in the creek! There's also a big park with a baseball diamond and some tennis courts. I have absolutely no intention of digging in this area (after all it's not allowed there) but are there other ways of scanning the surface to find treasures?

Any input, advice, tips or tricks will be gratefully appreciated!
I'll be hanging out on these forums a lot now as I begin my adventures of being a novice treasure hunter! :thumbsup:

Cheers! :hello:

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from White Plains, New York! You need a waterproof machine good in fresh water. The Garrett AT Pro comes to mind immediately in your case. When hunting creeks, look for areas where people dive in, or use ropes to swing out over the water. Hunt inside curves of the creek for gold rings as well. - Good Luck!

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from White Plains, New York! You need a waterproof machine good in fresh water. The Garrett AT Pro comes to mind immediately in your case. When hunting creeks, look for areas where people dive in, or use ropes to swing out over the water. Hunt inside curves of the creek for gold rings as well. - Good Luck!

Terry is spot on for his machine recommendation. Love mine. The best places to hunt are those with the highest concentration of people.

Good luck and welcome!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you aren't going to use the AT Pro in salt water that is one of the options. Myself I'd rather use a Tesoro Tiger Shark, it has a lifetime warrantee. Excellent discrimination and depth, but no visual display.
068.gif

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You might join a local club and get in on their agenda. Are any of these in your area?
Sponsored Club’s of the 2015 Southern Ontario Beach Hunt:
Chatham-Kent Metal Detecting Clubwww.ckmetaldetecting.comPresidentRick [email protected]
Simcoe County Metal Detecting ClubPresidentJohn [email protected]
Thames Valley Metal DetectingAssociationPresident Kim [email protected]
Canadian Heritage Seekerswww.chs.8k.comPresidentDennis [email protected]
Rainbow’s End Metal DetectingAssociationwww.rainbowsendclub.caPresidentEugene [email protected]
Don......

stephenscool

Greenie
Jan 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
forget the scarborough creek. you will never find anything worthwhile there except the odd skunk. you can try an hour north or so for cellar hunting or possibly find some old abandoned farms still in your area. some spots in your area are well off.... wouldn't hurt to hit the tot lots once in a while.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First off, be prepared to dig at least a 55 gal barrel worth of trash before you pull your 1st notable treasure. That's about how much trash I dug prior to pulling my 1st gold item. Being relatively new to the hobby that has been my experience. I put in almost 800 hours of swinging the coil prior to pulling a gold pocket watch. So many want to get into this hobby with unrealistic expectations and soon tire of digging pull tabs and other trash. MDers have been active for 40 years in my area, so most of the shallow treasure (6" or less deep) was dug 30 to 40 years ago on the properties of the few Elite businessmen that resided in town. I luckily dug a key date IHP after 14 months of swinging the coil. Another gentleman detected for 43 years before he dug one.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT Gold or AT Pro. AT Pro works fine in salt water (depending on location) but depth of small gold items is no more than 9" at best. Iron or Aluminum will can very deep depending on size, but only useful if you are interesting in digging up eye glasses :D If you aren't digging in a foot or two of liquid sand (you probably are not in a creek) then it would be fine.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread