Replace my Excal 2 for a Whites Dual Field.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would try to keep my Excal at all costs. There's times when hunting with a PI to get another inch or two in depth can be down right aggravating and exhausting.

As far as PI machines go I've had the sand shark and dual field and I liked the DF better. The SAT threshold is very good and you can somewhat avoid digging most iron but at fringe depths you still will at times.

sandswimmer

Apr 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Xcal Xterra's DF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They both have their place and time to use. Keep the ExCal and find a used DF....They can be bought cheap from those who by one as their first water MD.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thinking of replacing my Excalibur two with a Whites Dual Field for more depth any thoughts on this,comments?

I know I will have to dig everything but I already Hunting in all metal mode on my Excalibar 2.

You want more depth install a 15 inch coil and hunt in all metal... Get the reverse pinpoint mod....

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You want more depth install a 15 inch coil and hunt in all metal... Get the reverse pinpoint mod....

Exactly what I do and I can dig a bobby pin 5 straight scoops down in wet sand( Trex 9.5 shovel).. I wouldn't want to go deeper than I already do. I have an Excal 1000 with a sovereign 15" on it and a remote pp. I set my threshold to a medium hum in discrim, then turn it to PP and have at it!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thinking of replacing my Excalibur two with a Whites Dual Field for more depth any thoughts on this,comments?

I know I will have to dig everything but I already Hunting in all metal mode on my Excalibar 2.

You will never believe how much iron trash is on your beaches until you go hunt with a PI.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I would suggest asking around to see if anyone would like to trade machines for a day in your area. I use the DF and the Excalibur, Since I feel more comfortable with the excal I use it 99% of the time and it being more versatile fits my needs better. Also every location is different and until you have tried the DF in your area there will always be that question. I find the DF to be very noisy, deeper but not to the point of more then a few inch's which these can be hard to distinguish amongst the chatter.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
I get annoyed pulling pennies and some aluminum with the Excal. I couldn't even imagine using a PI on So Cal beaches. I spoke with a guy one time who does use a PI out here and he arrogantly said, " I dig everything." I called BS! He wouldn't get 2 ft before he dug trash after trash after trash. He was with an organization that,... well.... I've mentioned before... and he only hunts areas that he KNOWS are to have a missing item because that's his "business." An average detectorist out on an average day? NO WAY!!!!

OP
OP
Soflhunter

Soflhunter

Sep 15, 2015
SoFl
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 ~ CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
I would suggest asking around to see if anyone would like to trade machines for a day in your area. I use the DF and the Excalibur, Since I feel more comfortable with the excal I use it 99% of the time and it being more versatile fits my needs better. Also every location is different and until you have tried the DF in your area there will always be that question. I find the DF to be very noisy, deeper but not to the point of more then a few inch's which these can be hard to distinguish amongst the chatter.

I was under the impression after looking online that the PI machines go very deep, so people said they have dug down 20in or so.
my excel does about half of that even with my GG headphones.

OP
OP
Soflhunter

Soflhunter

Sep 15, 2015
SoFl
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 ~ CTX 3030
Primary Interest:

How is that 15in Nel in the water, whats the drag like?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was under the impression after looking online that the PI machines go very deep, so people said they have dug down 20in or so.
my excel does about half of that even with my GG headphones.

I have dug 20"s on my excals with the 15 inch coils...

OP
OP
Soflhunter

Soflhunter

Sep 15, 2015
SoFl
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 ~ CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
I have dug 20"s on my excals with the 15 inch coils...

Seriously, maybe I should reconsider the 15 inch coil maybe it's time to get in touch with Excalibar Dave.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
What settings are you running..

I'm guessing but I figure I can dig a 6 gr gold ring at about 14 inch with a 10 inch coil, in pp mode and skully TUBES headphones.. louder then the GGA's by about...(below) they thing is to go slow where you know the highest chances of gold are... And there is a chance none is there or it is just to deep to be heard at all

OBN0357.jpg

and a 1gr at close to 8 to 10 inch's

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My regular beach hunting buddy uses a stock Dual Field and I use a modified blue Excalibur 1000. Mine used to have the 15" WOT and now has a 15" NEL Attack coil. We compare targets all the time, checking signal strength and depth. So far, everything he hits on, also hits on mine, and vice versa. If anything, he says that a few of my deep hits wouldn't sound good enough to dig on his. I hunt in PP and when I get a signal, I switch over to Disc. If I get a dead null, I move on. If I get still get a signal, it won't be real deep and I dig it. If I get no change when I switch over to Disc (just the same steady threshold hum) I know it's deep, and I also dig it. I usually end up getting more coins than he does because he spends a lot more time digging good iron sounds. Even if I didn't get the same depth, I'd use the Excalibur. I hate digging junk iron!

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
You will never believe how much iron trash is on your beaches until you go hunt with a PI.

Ain't that the truth!
I'd listen to these guys as we've all jumped around to different machines but most find there way to a excalibur at some point. Hope you don't make a change and possibly regret it later. Nothing fun about digging a fish hook in a continuously collapsing hole.
Yes PI's have their place but so does the Excalibur. Both are good to have in your arsenal and knowing when to use which one is key!

OP
OP
Soflhunter

Soflhunter

Sep 15, 2015
SoFl
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 ~ CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Ain't that the truth!
I'd listen to these guys as we've all jumped around to different machines but most find there way to a excalibur at some point. Hope you don't make a change and possibly regret it later. Nothing fun about digging a fish hook in a continuously collapsing hole.
Yes PI's have their place but so does the Excalibur. Both are good to have in your arsenal and knowing when to use which one is key!

Send you a PM

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My CTX goes amazingly deep - I wouldnt want to dig deeper. Look forward to those good days where targets are all around and not too deep and you have a lighter detector like the DF. SoCA beaches do just have so much iron trash that a pi gets to be a pain on the not so good days. I do wish the CTX would have better discrimination than it has - but if you just say you'll dig gold and silver it does do a fair job of warning you that the target may be something else. I have two pi pros but havent come across a killer deal yet on a DF or excal. I am very curious but really the CTX should suffice. I can understand the concern about cost difference though. My surf pi's cost me under $300 each and the CTX was $1400. Use a big shovel like I do and a DF and you'll detect whatever anyone else would over the same targets.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im just shaking my head. Best advice....... like was said keep the Xcal and buy a used DF. As a PP user you know what people are leaving...... add a couple inches and more sensitivity to tiny iron...... OH.... and no way to switch to id it quickly. Ive always wanted a PI too, but none really impresses me yet. Ive seen some good deals on Xcals. Personally, i think now with more of the CTXs running out of warranty and being sold in the $1000 to $1400 range people are choosing them over the used Xcals. We arent going to get $1000 for a used Xcal even with mods.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Want get a $1000 for used excals but they sale all day long used for $800-$900.

fsa46

Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites DFPI, 2 @ Excalibur II, 2 @ Sovereign GT w/ 10" & 8" Tornado coils, 2@ 10x12 SEF coils all on their own rods, Whites MXT Pro , 2@ Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two Excals an 800 ( that was changed from a 1000 ) and a 1000. I also had two DFPIs and sold one. Because of health conditions I've considered selling the other DF but just can't pull the trigger even though I don't use it anymore.

Although I hunt with the Excal 1000 almost exclusively because I don't dig all the junk and find the gold at a very respectable depth. The DF has paid for ALL my detectors ( 6 ) , wetsuits, scoops, waders and everything associated with this game. It's hard to get rid of something that you know has the potential to, and has kicked butt.

The DF is very noisy and you have to get use to it. The main thing I found with the DF ( beside learning it ) is CONFIDENCE , you have to have the confidence that you are going to find gold that the Excal has missed.

Most of you know Cupajo, in my opinion he is a Master with the DFPI and will find gold that others have missed, there's no doubt about it, he knows what he's doing. CJ got me off on the right foot when I got into water hunting and the DF was my only water machine and I found my share of gold. I also would like to add that I have a hearing problem and can only imagine how much better I could have done if I wasn't handicapped with this problem.

So to answer your question, I would never get rid of the Excalibur, it's a bear of a machine, but, if you have areas that aren't iron infested, you can pick up a DFPI very reasonable and have some fun with it.

I would also like to add, and this is ONLY MY OPINION from owning both, the DFPI is a lot more than 2" deeper than the Excal.

This is not to start a debate or argue, again it's just MHO. Those of you that are friends with Clive may want to get his opinion on the subject.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread