This PI machine is wearing me out

boss driver

Dec 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Dues, AT Pro, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Sand Shark is wearing me out. Hits deeeeeep, but hits everything with no clear indication of composition (as advertised). I'm looking to move to something that will give some iron discrimination and although I understand the trade-off is a little depth...I'm good with it. Don't want to break the bank, would like to stay in a price comparable to my Shark, but looking for input from others who've made the switch or who can speak to the pros/cons of their saltwater machines. I don't go deeper than chest high and usually only waist deep...or more often knee deep or less. Thanks!

Upvote 0

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Watch TNet, eBay, Craigslist etc for a good used Excal 1000. They can be found for less than $500...

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ebay you can get a good Fisher CZ-20 for around 500...........I would get the 10-1/2" coil if you get one.

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the AT Pro interest you at all? Ive read a lot of good reviews and it is fully submersible, even new i'snt too bad for price but used I'm sure it could be had for under $500.

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just noticed your profile says you have the AT, ignore my comment and ill second Goldkeys recommendation.

Last edited:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think you'll necessarily lose a lot of depth, maybe just depth for the tiny little staples and things you don't want anyway.

The CZ-21 or Excal are prob what you want next, or maybe the CTX-3030.

Be CAREFUL buying one used. My buddy bought one used for between $600 and $800 (I dont know how much) and it leaked. It was still working fine so he sent it to have it checked out, and they quoted $600 to repair it (?!). That would make it cost more than a new unit.

Although if I could find a water tight CZ for around $400 I'd probably jump on it and be ultra careful with the seals, etc.

Last edited:

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
used excal 1000. Ask me, I did!!! The thing is a work horse. Yes you'll pull pennies but you won't pull iron.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive never seen a Sand Shark add that said you could tell what a target was other than somewhat being able to tell SOME targets are iron.
That's are no VLF machines in the Sharks price range. A used cz or Excal are your best bet. Both of these will approach PI depth in all metal mode and you can usually decide a target is junk by flipping to disc before digging down 16" to actually see it.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man Up! Digging it all is not like lifting bricks all day. Join us in the surf and laugh at all the Minelab and Fisher guys jogging up and down the wet sand like Sandpipers. Keep digging and grow strong. Use the Sand Shark, BE the Sand Shark! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• stuff2.jpg
    stuff2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 186
  • jones72311 014.jpg
    jones72311 014.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 202

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dump the Sand Shark and buy an excal and you want be digging iron trash any longer..

OP
OP
boss driver

boss driver

Dec 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Dues, AT Pro, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the comments so far. Terry...I'm torn to put it down but geez...I've got piles and piles like that. Ready to work a little smarter and less harder. 3 years of the Shark is wearing me out. But it sure hits the stuff!

Flglider...which detector leaked for your friend?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a false advertisement if i've ever seen it, lol.

Dew, I dig no small pieces of iron ever... Only Iron I ever dug with my excal was when I first started and dug all null signals, I stop digging nulls years ago and a couple pieces of long Iron rebar... I dig no fish hooks or tiny pieces of iron at all, but I sure pass it up........

I have had 3 previous hunting partners who used pulse detectors when we met and all 3 switched to the excal after hunting together a few months.....

Last edited:

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Has its good and bad days. I've only had to leave one beach one time from this issue. Then again I also use a 15" wot and it's very sensitive.. It's Kind Of Like A Gun fight. Not every gun suits the situation. That's why I trust my wall of weapons .

Attachments

• 20151122_092048.jpg
    20151122_092048.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 170
  • 20151122_092048.jpg
    20151122_092048.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 500
Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also use 15" coils, never had an issue with black sand and I have hunted all over Florida..

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Man Up! Digging it all is not like lifting bricks all day. Join us in the surf and laugh at all the Minelab and Fisher guys jogging up and down the wet sand like Sandpipers. Keep digging and grow strong. Use the Sand Shark, BE the Sand Shark! :thumbsup:

You Pirate!

Beach's can be so different, I would suggest a setup like Treasure Hunters or Jeepgold.. Or like me, I prefer the stock coils for versatility.... my locations can be so different. And I like the Idea of having a PI, just not the best to use all the time.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second the stock coil. It is the perfect size for all around hunting.

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does the Excal handle black sand beaches?

I got 3" max in Longbeach, WA with an Excal. Of course, no VLF detector really works there. Out of all of the VLF detectors I have tried there (haven't tried my CZ-20 yet) the Excal was the best. A PI is a must on this beach in my opinion.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dew, I dig no small pieces of iron ever... Only Iron I ever dug with my excal was when I first started and dug all null signals, I stop digging nulls years ago and a couple pieces of long Iron rebar... I dig no fish hooks or tiny pieces of iron at all, but I sure pass it up........

I have had 3 previous hunting partners who used pulse detectors when we met and all 3 switched to the excal after hunting together a few months.....

Ahh yes, spoken like a true senior citizen from the sugar-sand beaches of Florida! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread