GOING TO SAN DIEGO FOR THANKS GIVING. HOW IS THE DETECTING AT THE LOCAL BEACES ?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
That's where knowing your local beaches gives you a leg up on other who don't know what's happening on any given day....

Right. I bet that you're probably able to simply view them from the parking lot, and never even take your detector out of the car, right ? After awhile, you can just tell by the look of the sand whether it's worth the walk down from the parking lot.

Congratz on the oldies. Brace yourself for some storms coming up :)

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right. I bet that you're probably able to simply view them from the parking lot, and never even take your detector out of the car, right ? After awhile, you can just tell by the look of the sand whether it's worth the walk down from the parking lot.

Congratz on the oldies. Brace yourself for some storms coming up :)

I hope you all get much needed rain. The vineyards in CA I saw on television looked very bad!

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I actually have taken pictures of pier piles for reference. A certain beach near me had a 3 ft cut at the very top of a very high tide line in just a matter of 2 days. Did find a 14k ring but it was in the wet on a negative tide. We've been having 7.4 HT and a -1.4 LT several hours later. My beaches are SO flat though that a lost item could literally be next to the sidewalk or 8 ft under. Not much logic to it right now.

procali

Nov 16, 2013
BajaMex
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, ctx 3030, sdc 2300, Sovereign Gt, Excal 1000, x-terra 705, profind, propointer. Stealth 720i and 920ix
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My go to beaches even with the lack of swell have seen mayor sand movement, in the one at the border at least 2 feet of sand is gone on the entire beach im talking 2 miles at least, with some nice 2-3 feet cuts, further soutn today i was @ Rosarito and also some mayor movement, people were lined up at high tide getting their share of treasure on the receding waves, filling their pockets with clad and other goodies, they actually make a better living doing this than working a minumum wage job, they end up with at least 500 pesos per cycle, anyways i did pretty good most of the coins were greenies, ended the hunt with 2 gold and 3 silver rings. And yes Tom low tide area was pretty bleak all the good target areas were on the upper half of the slope wet sand.
One of the gold rings has my name with big letters.
Todays hunt
d4a28e944377df1aff79e91286793286_zpsimu50s9k.jpg

This is yesterday at the border, two days prior sand was at the top of first step.

b1c3999839eca02232cadc881dc0e506_zpsdbdpyn3j.jpg

Last edited:

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure wish we could have a network of "MDcams" - the surfcams rarely give me much help as many cuts are hidden due to the rear view they have. Friday I did see people extremely focused on one area of San Clemente beach - (at a cut) finding something in the sand (no MD's there). Maybe I'm going about it wrong - maybe there is another area cam that I should use as a reference.

Wonder why they didn't use 2x6's on those lower stairs? (Photo)

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you all get much needed rain. The vineyards in CA I saw on television looked very bad!
Low rain seasons usually produce better tasting wine than years with lots of rain.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Went for a non-metal detecting visit to Windansea beach. Unbelievable. I couldn't even recognize the beach. It went from a sanded beach to a volcanic beach. ZERO sand. It was a good 3 ft of sand a few wks ago and now its all cliff rocks. Amazing. Some area's have gotten pummeled by erosion from the local storm and some were mildly affected. I won't give up my honey pot, but I've been working one this past week. :)

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit Mission beach last nite during low tide, saw several cuts two feet high, all the coins I pulled were on the old side and had been there a long time also one ring gold with a single small stone, but gold is gold no matter how long that it hast to wait for me to come along.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Unfortunately, even a four foot cut on the beach in Carlsbad would yield nothing since that was the depth of the 'beach sand enrichment' program last year. Looking forward to what El Nino might do this winter.
Don........

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went for a non-metal detecting visit to Windansea beach. Unbelievable. I couldn't even recognize the beach. It went from a sanded beach to a volcanic beach. ZERO sand. It was a good 3 ft of sand a few wks ago and now its all cliff rocks. Amazing. Some area's have gotten pummeled by erosion from the local storm and some were mildly affected. I won't give up my honey pot, but I've been working one this past week. :)
I hunted that beach about a week ago and couldn't believe it either. It must have lost 6 feet of sand in some places! I did find a nice ring there though.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Right on. It's super SUPER hard to get in the water there. The waves are deceptively rough and are sneaky to. You'll think your at a safe line and BAM.. your up to your neck in white water

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, just like the Cove.....heavy surge, soft sand, and waves that can knock you head over heels. Very hard to make recoveries in water deeper than your knees.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions