Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
CZ-20 When its Wet, Garret 1350 When its Not.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Here is a picture of the scoop that I use...

takes a big bite. hope this helps.

Attachments

• right side scoop sized.jpg
    right side scoop sized.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 891
  • right side scoop sized.jpg
    right side scoop sized.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 879

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
this the one i use

Attachments

• BchScp2.jpg
    BchScp2.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 955
  • Scoop%20Bottom.jpg
    Scoop%20Bottom.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 950
  • Scoop%20Bottom.jpg
    Scoop%20Bottom.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 859
  • BchScp2.jpg
    BchScp2.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 893

kevino1960

Oct 22, 2006
West Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark Fisher 1265X
the scoop that castnet speaks of is top notch, all stainless, should last a lifetime of heavy use

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• STEALTH SCOOP (WinCE).jpg
    STEALTH SCOOP (WinCE).jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,001
  • STEALTH SCOOP (WinCE).jpg
    STEALTH SCOOP (WinCE).jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 936

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would highly recommend http://www.nuttallenterprises.com/servlet/StoreFront

I have only tried 3 long handled scoops in my long metal detecting career (about 3 years).

The first one the handle bent in two.

The second would never do what I wanted it to do. It would twist around and didn't lift much. Expensive on Ebay and won't say which just in case it offends someone.

The third I bought from Travis. The first time you try it out on the beach you will find out that it means business. I felt like a gladiator walking with it. It really bites down into the wet sand rather than twist around.

Thanks.

OP
OP
TimC (North Alabama)

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks ya'll for all the great replies. It will be several weeks before I go the the beach again so I have time to take my time and make the right decision based on all the models out there and all your great responses. Keep the coming>
Thanks!
Tim

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
DFX WITH DX-1 PROBE AND XLT WITH XL-1 PROBE
Scoops have become soo expensive. Not sure what access you have to tools but, I made a nice very heavy duty scoop this way.
3 or 4 inch diameter conduit like they use to run electrical wires through..about a 9 inch section cut at an angle then drilled full of holes. Then 1 inch conduit welded to the side , as long as you like for a handle. You can cover the "butt" end of the scoop with screening or I used the cover from an electrical junction box, cut round and welded to the end and of course drilled full of holes. It was a bit heavy so I drilled more holes and cut the handle to about 12 inches long. I don't have a picture but It really does work well. If you lightly spray it with wd-40 every now and then, it will never rust. Also any drink pitcher full of holes is a cheap alternative. lol. Hope some of this babble helps. HH dave.

S

Sea hunter 2

Sounds like a great tool dave, any chance of a picture please

Cheers
Tim

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
castnet said:
I can recommend a stainless steel beach made scoop by Kevin Nuttall. It is built like a tank, and will last forever, and it digs a big footprint. He also sells them on Ebay. This is a link to his web site http://www.nuttallenterprises.com/servlet/StoreFront -- Good hunting....

I got mine on ebay from Kevin! This scoop will last a lifetime. I have the round scoop though. Excellent price too!!

HH 8) surfrat

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
DFX WITH DX-1 PROBE AND XLT WITH XL-1 PROBE
OK, here are the pics. You cant really tell because of the color of the carpet, but theres holes in the end too. Honestly, I kind of wish I had mounted the handles at an angle just a little bit now. Other than that. They were very cheap, I think I spent 10.00 total. They are VERY tough! Hope any of this helps. HH dave.
Thanks to 49erjohn for the help welding and building. :O)

Attachments

• scoops 001 (Small).jpg
    scoops 001 (Small).jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 623
  • scoops 002 (Small).jpg
    scoops 002 (Small).jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 608
S

Sea hunter 2

Thanks for the pics Dave, looks awesome, the bees knees as we say over here!! I need to get me one of those

Cheers
Tim

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
detectordave said:
OK, here are the pics. You cant really tell because of the color of the carpet, but theres holes in the end too. Honestly, I kind of wish I had mounted the handles at an angle just a little bit now. Other than that. They were very cheap, I think I spent 10.00 total. They are VERY tough! Hope any of this helps. HH dave.
Thanks to 49erjohn for the help welding and building. :O)
Thanks for the pic. I see you brazed instead of welding. I have an oxy/acetylene torch. I may try to make one.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
detectordave said:
Scoops have become soo expensive. Not sure what access you have to tools but, I made a nice very heavy duty scoop this way.
3 or 4 inch diameter conduit like they use to run electrical wires through..about a 9 inch section cut at an angle then drilled full of holes. Then 1 inch conduit welded to the side , as long as you like for a handle. You can cover the "butt" end of the scoop with screening or I used the cover from an electrical junction box, cut round and welded to the end and of course drilled full of holes. It was a bit heavy so I drilled more holes and cut the handle to about 12 inches long. I don't have a picture but It really does work well. If you lightly spray it with wd-40 every now and then, it will never rust. Also any drink pitcher full of holes is a cheap alternative. lol. Hope some of this babble helps. HH dave.
The problem is that 4 inch is not big enough for a water scoop. Maybe a metal drink pitcher would be larger.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
castnet said:
I can recommend a stainless steel beach made scoop by Kevin Nuttall. It is built like a tank, and will last forever, and it digs a big footprint. He also sells them on Ebay. This is a link to his web site http://www.nuttallenterprises.com/servlet/StoreFront -- Good hunting....

I just placed an order for the 48" one last night, it was recommended to me by a lot of beach hunters. The only problem is it costs as much as my Ace 250... Time for an upgrade!!!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol-cartoon-ag1.gif

Old Proverb........When you scoop costs more then detector, time for new detector.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread