Whats your choice of shoe for hunting in the surf?

Bill - De

Dec 22, 2009
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Cibola
CZ-20, Sea Hunter II, Simplex,
Minelab Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$9.99 sand shoes at Walmart! :skullflag:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zippered hightop dive boots. I also have water shoes, but dive boots are perfect.

Mike

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Black OP Water Shoes from Walmart (as much as I don't like to shop there). They're $10, have a nice thick sole , Velcro strap closure and last about 1 year and I hunt 1-2 times per week on average.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Dive boots.

I kinda figure that they are made for the salt water, soft, yet have a nice rubberized sole, fit snugly, drain water...

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
I love my Kona dive boots. 1 sz larger so socks swell to fit.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate hunting the Del/Md shores, specially when the water is ruff. The sand is super fluid and no shoes/boots/clogs can keep out the sand unless your just hunting the wetsand. The best I found was Hard sole High top diving boots with the pull strap then wear neoprene Sox's. The last two years I have wore a light weight boot foot drysuit and on the hotter days boot foot waders...Nice stripping down and not feeling that salty all over you.

Good Luck...

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I HAVE OLDER VERSION OF THESE -
NRS Comm-3 Wetshoe at nrs.com
YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR - I HUNT IN MUD..ROCKS..SHELLS ETC
YOU CAN SEE THE NICE SOLE THESE HAVE - MINE ARE 7MM FOR COLDER WATERS - BUT WEAR THEM IN SUMMER TOO
I HAVE A FEW OTHER PAIRS ALSO - HAVE USED NEOSPORTS - HAVE A PAIR OF THOSE AS BACK UPS
I OWN OTHERS - BUT I ALWAYS HAVE AT LEAST 2 OF EVERYTHING
THIS IS GOOD TIME TO LOOK - MANY PLACES HAVE CLOSEOUTS AND SALES
ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH
https://www.google.com/search?q=COL...ved=0ahUKEwiFnfeE_bTJAhVM6SYKHb05CcEQ_AUIBygC
OTHERS YOU CAN CHECK OUT IF YOU ARE BORED
YOU CAN ALWAYS GOOGLE DIVE BOOTS ON SALE OR DIVE BOOTS ON CLEARANCE

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SENDING YOU A LINK TO SOME ARTICLES IVE WRITEN - AT LEAST A FEW IN THERE I WROTE ABOUT WHAT TO WEAR
OTHERS MAY HELP YOU - OTHERS MAY INSPIRE YOU

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The best I've used are the Mares Trilastic hard sole Dive Boots. You can walk all over the beach and into the water and back to your vehicle and the are very comfortable with excellent lateral support.
I got them here:Mares Trilastic 5mm Dive Boots
MRSBTR.jpg.png
My feet measure a 9 US but I always wear a 10 in tennis shoes and boots. With the Mares I wear a size 8 and they fit great.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bill - De

Bill - De

Dec 22, 2009
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Cibola
CZ-20, Sea Hunter II, Simplex,
Minelab Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the suggestions; and there are some good ones. I will be looking at (and probably buying) a few different types. I'll certainly be checking out the one's in Walmart (thanks for that tip; and they are inexpensive). I'll also likely get another pair of dive boots. I like the look of those Mares, Kona, and Comm3. I hunt the beaches here in Delaware; also Md on occasion, and would like to try something on the Gulf coast if Florida this winter. So I'm trying to get things all set for there, even though winter is on my doorstep.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have tried a lot of different footware while water hunting over the years. I already stated above my preference, by for those still considering, let me explain why.

1, barefoot, no. just don't even think about that. The beaches are full of broken glass, torn up aluminum cans, broken shells, broken coral and lots more that will tear up your feet. This is a trip to doctor just waiting to happen.
2, sandals. better than barefoot, but far from ideal. Cheap flip flops will break from repeatedly stomping a scoop into the sand, plus they like to float off and are a general PIA. Cloth "TEVA" sandals are better, but the cloth straps are really bad about collecting fragments of coral, shell and sand which then grind on your feet and ankles like sandpaper. All sandals still leave you open to cuts on toes and feet.
3, tennis shoes, better than sandals but the fact they are open at the ankle means sand, shells, coral, etc will continually get inside forcing you to periodically stop and empty them out. Shoes weren't meant for surf and they will break down a lot faster than on land.
4, dive boots. They have hard soles so you don't have to fear stepping on things in the water (stingrays not included). They are close-fitting around the top to keep out the vast majority of sand, etc. Yes, you will still get some in but I have never had enough to be a bother. The height plus zipper means they are staying put and you don't have to fear them accidentally coming off. they were made for a marine environment and will last a long time in the surf.

the down sides of scuba boots, yes, you will get sand in the zipper and may have to work it a few times to get open, but I have never had a pair I couldn't open and I have never broken a zipper either. Just stick a garden hose in the zipper base and inside the boot to wash out sand after each hunt. Neoprene WILL stink (especially boots) if left wet. I recommend leaving them to drain in a well ventilated spot, out of direct sunlight. If you forget and leave them in the trunk of your car, you probably wont do it twice. An occasional soak in an enzyme like "sink-the-stink" helps too. A good pair of scuba boots aren't cheap, but you do get what you pay for. Buy a no-name, cheap neoprene boot and you might as well buy a dozen. Buy quality once, or cheap over and over again.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
I wash mine w a hose EVERY time I get home as well as all my equipment. It's an understatement about them stinking
And if u leave them in your car? Yuck

Last edited:

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston
check out the NRS ATB wetshoe. hard sole , high top , great support. wear a thin pair of socks with them.
DO rinse them out after every use. NOW ON SALE @ 20% off.
Like Casper said you get what you pay for. After 3 years, I am considering a new pair. HH Gayle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread