Best Dog for Metal Detecting

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunting alone on a remote beach can at times be dangerous because of the high
resale value of the equipment you are carrying.
As I cannot carry a firearm for protection, which I would prefer, I will have to use other methods.

What are the best attributes or breed of dog to use.
How do you train a dog assistant for metal detecting (Dry Sand, Wet Sand, Shallow Water)?

Upvote 0

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Then I'd definitely head down to New Orleans and have a witch doctor conjour up some voodoo juice to throw on my assailant .... Nothing worse than a shrunken head. ShrunkenHead-1.jpg

OP
OP
S

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree!
I believe it is on track.
To me, personal experience is better, than theory, or what you think you would do.

A dog in the woods/forest? Sure, But this is beach and shallow water forum so I am assuming he's talking about hunting beaches with a dog. Not only would you run the risk of having the dog go after someone (here in Cali you'd lose your tail feathers in a lawsuit even IF they perp'ed you. ) Pull a knife? Absolutely! I'd rather have a knife on me and NEED it than NEED a knife and NOT have it. I also carry pepper spray and would use that first for sure! I've had a pack of dogs run up on me that got away from their owner. They were lit on biting me. I pulled my pepper and used it. Then I pulled my knife. Owner ran up yelling and settled it. I said I am a HUGE dog lover but i love myself much much more and if they bit me I'd use it and then sue the shi+ out of him.

Post is getting off track as they usually do. Anyways, I would take a dog to the desert or woods but not the beach. I carry a knife and spray. No debate here will change that for me.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am located on one of the more remote Sandwich Islands.
You are restricted from carrying a concealed weapon, so that you cannot defend yourself!
The justification is that this is paradise and there is little violence.

Statistically this is true, the rub is that people just disappear!
Police reports are often not filed, as it is difficult and time consuming (you wait and you wait and you wait some more) - the police are very busy, but no one knows what they are doing? The police force is large the population small, and they are always undermanned?

Often a victim is intimidated when trying to report the crime, and even if the report is taken it is usually a total waste of effort as everyone, except for newcombers seems to be related (Think of the film Deliverance with dualing ukeles).

You can purchase a hand gun after taking a hunters safety course which must be turned over to the police, I assume for ballistics, and registered. The problem is that the carrying of this weapon is restricted - just to where you will be shooting.

Depending on the Island, a back ground investigation is required to carry Pepper Spray.

The result is that you are like a SITTING DUCK depending upon the police for your safety
The rub is that the mission of the police is to enforce the law, not prevent crime.

DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!
Never let them take your guns away which is your right to bear under the 12 th Ammendment
Sorry to hear about your local situation. Can you carry a big knife or machete? If not, I'd consider moving! Police don't prevent crime. If they did, we wouldn't have any. They just sweep up the mess afterward and investigate who might have done it. Hopefully, my fellow Americans will realize what a mistake it would be the repeal the 2nd amendment. It's the only one that allows up to keep the other amendments.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Jeep gold: I am well aware it's beach and shallow water!! You have a problem with my additional comment for the use of a guard dog when metal detecting?? Don't get cocky sir!!

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I believe it's on track as well. He asked about a dog. I Don't think it's off track. Maybe you went off track Jeep gold, talking about being Rambo instead of answering his question about a dog.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well If you do get the dog I would get a German Sheppard, People wont be to put off by it, also they wont want to piss it off either.
You can also make pepper spray in the kitchen. But like mentioned by others here, a sand scoop, digging knife, pepper spray.
Just don't get so involved with what your doing that you miss out on whats going on around you.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
clv: Great dog! You can also put a fanny pack on the back of your dog if he's a large breed to carry some gear. Water, snacks for him and you, etc. He/she can also be your eyes, ears and especially nose when your digging on your knees looking down with your headphones on. Train it properly to never leave your side and it'll go all day with you hunting. Praise, reward and command with a stern voice and it will soon know who their alpha is.

OP
OP
S

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I carry a Japanese hoary hoary (diggy diggy) knife in a highly visible bright orange scabbard hung Rambo style (except handle up) across chest. The key to deterrence is making it very obvious that you can and will defend yourself.

I do not mean to degrade the police force as there are many fine officers who daily put their lifes at risk. But in small areas crimes are often not solved or prosecuted as police officers, judges, prosecuters, and criminals are either related or the crimimal is descendent of a plantation family with hundreds to thousands of relatives on same island.

Yes I will be moving, it is in my genes, both of my parents immigrated from Europe for a better way of life and to escape oppression .

The problem is where to move to?
While searching for "treasure landia" is it better to risk loosing ones head by a terrorist or loose ones freedom and die a death of a thousand cuts.

Please do not feel sorry for me, as I am far closer to the end than the beginning having lived a good life before I retired.

You and your generation need to worry about “Abuse of Power” Power as the checkmates to protect ourselves against those who protect us no longer exist.

When I relocated to the Sandwich Islands to care for my parents, I did not realize that I would be deprived of my constitutional rights and that it would almost cost me my life

The bad news is that you do not even have to move as evil prospers when good men do nothing

Better stated by Treasure Hunter “The Patriot Act is anything but patriotic, denying citizens our freedoms and privacy in the life of government security is allowing evil to win... I will take my chances with the terrorists over tyranny...”

Sorry to hear about your local situation. Can you carry a big knife or machete? If not, I'd consider moving! Police don't prevent crime. If they did, we wouldn't have any. They just sweep up the mess afterward and investigate who might have done it. Hopefully, my fellow Americans will realize what a mistake it would be the repeal the 2nd amendment. It's the only one that allows up to keep the other amendments.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shiver Me Timbers Maitee!

I would rather take my changes with getting robbed than mutalated.
At best I would just be nagged to death.
At worst new meaning would be added to retrieving a large target between the high and low tide line with waves rushing in.
This is one of the few times that I would be praying for sanded in conditions.

Of course, I am only referring to current/recent girl friends.
My fate would be worse if an X ever got hold of me.
Such is the charm and faith of an obsessive compulsive treasure hunter (sigh)!

I think mnruxpin has got the best idea so far!!!
Mine use to follow me around but that long sense wore off and I'm a little glad as she would start complaining that all I was finding was junk and was always ready to go! She will be my boat person while I snorkel/scuba and detect from a boat.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Jeep gold: I am well aware it's beach and shallow water!! You have a problem with my additional comment for the use of a guard dog when metal detecting?? Don't get cocky sir!!

HUH? No problem with your previous comment. In fact, I agreed with it (in the woods)... As for the exclamation marks and "Don't get cocky!!" retort, not sure where that came from so please direct any angst towards someone else. Safe, happy hunting however you chose to ...

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Portuguese water dog :tongue3:

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best kind of dog is the one you have. Mine is a lab and she goes everywhere with me. I am not sure she would be much help if I were attacked, but it is not something I have had to worry about in Canada. Only spot that was iffy so far was Jamaica and of course dog was not with me. The one thing to remember is a dog can be a handcuff, especially if there is something else they find interesting (picnic, other dog, waterfowl, etc). Last thought is any large dog is intimidating to some people and not always those who you are trying to avoid (eg. kids). ie. it is OK if the mean guys get the message, but you are more likely to scare somebody who does not want or deserve it.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's my metal detecting dog, Australian blue healer..
Never have to worry when my heads in the hole.
20200325_172113.jpg
20200327_173624.jpg

cladpirate

Apr 24, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If people just disappear, and you can’t carry them forget the pepper spray, get yourself some muriatic acid, if ever questioned about it it is to clean your finds on site. I’m sure it is highly more effective than pepper spray. Or just move if possible. This is in no way legal advise, merely pure opinion and an exercise of free speech.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread