Best Dog for Metal Detecting

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunting alone on a remote beach can at times be dangerous because of the high
resale value of the equipment you are carrying.
As I cannot carry a firearm for protection, which I would prefer, I will have to use other methods.

What are the best attributes or breed of dog to use.
How do you train a dog assistant for metal detecting (Dry Sand, Wet Sand, Shallow Water)?

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's interesting that here in Ca, dogs aren't allowed on most beaches (or they have time/season type restrictions), but, guns are not prohibited (except for our restrictive gun laws in general) Where are you located and why can't you carry?

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had always wondered why dogs weren't allowed on beaches. We were on a beach in the Keys where dogs were permitted and a big mixed breed dog came running up to us and promptly pooped about 5 lbs of runny dog crap right in front of our chairs and blanket. The owner saw it and just called the dog, never offered to clean up the mess. I love dogs but now I am against them on public beaches.
But, I say get a German Shepard and train him/her well. They make a great companion and guard dog.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A dog in my opinion is a silly thing to take with you detecting. You'd have to keep your ears on the ground and your eyes on him. Seems like a hassle to me. Just get a big ol knife. .

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be too much hassle to carry a big German Shepard or Rottweiler type dog. I just get my miniature dauschund to carry a gun so I don't have to!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449525781.854235.jpg

Last edited:

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Hunting alone on a remote beach can at times be dangerous because of the high
resale value of the equipment you are carrying.
As I cannot carry a firearm for protection, which I would prefer, I will have to use other methods.

What are the best attributes or breed of dog to use.
How do you train a dog assistant for metal detecting (Dry Sand, Wet Sand, Shallow Water)?

dont know about the best dog, but this little rat that barks and pees a lot is the WORSE, prefer to bring my girl, she entertains locals, follows me when I hookah, and has a drink for me when I cant drink!! sometimes a few too many, came up from my hookah one time to see her puke in her floatie, went to the same beach a couple months later, and the lifeguards still remember me and are like "wheres your wife???" haha good times. only bad thing is she keeps anything cool I find

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 242
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 374
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 307

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think mnruxpin has got the best idea so far!!!
Mine use to follow me around but that long sense wore off and I'm a little glad as she would start complaining that all I was finding was junk and was always ready to go! She will be my boat person while I snorkel/scuba and detect from a boat.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bring my girl...
She'll beat up most men I think. :P

Oh and BTW... where are you detecting ? downtown L.A. ? heh

That's why is much better to carry a REAL scoop...
Stainless ... strong and well made.

If they had a gun... heck... I did not like that detector anyway :P

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Owning a dog has a lot of responsibility well beyond what i want as a safety factor. I rarely feel unsafe anywhere and havent felt the need to even pack a gun. Random is just that ..... i dont think a dog is going to protect you any better than a firearm if you dont see it coming. I own a dog.... but she cant be on most of the beaches here..... shes like having a child as far as caring for her. Also a real protection dog has its own concerns as well. Seriously.... how many people detecting have you ever heard of getting mugged? In the words of someone........ walk tall and carry a big stick.

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Dogs poop and pee on everything.

Pepper spray just hangs quietly on your belt.

Screen Shot 2015-12-08 at 7.59.59 AM.png

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Bull Mastiff. I had a female and she never left my side. Very protective of their family and their master. They don't need tonnes of exercise they're content laying next to your feet while you watch the game. This is what they love , just to lay around and guard the fort. Fearless loyal and strong dog. They'll stand up to anyone or anything to protect.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
When night hunting on sketchy beaches I bring a can of pepper spray, my cell & an easily accessible knife. I also have acute spacial awareness. Every minute or so I look around to see if anyone is near/nearing me. One of the best weapons you have is your scoop. That thing will bust some one up if used properly. Would you try to mug someone who was walking down the street with a shovel in their hand? Probably not. The biggest thing I encounter is homeless & after hour drunks. Not so much gang bangers. Put a couple of post party testosterone'd drunks together who didn't get 1) in a fight at the bar, 2) any tail, & they are like a pack of wolves on the prowl . Only takes one who's 1/2 sober to recognize you have a bowie exposed next to your pocket & a big arse shovel to defuse the issue. Also, if worse comes to worst, head for the water. 99.9% of the time, no one will follow. And if they have a gun, your dog, scoop, pepper spray, God, or your knife won't help. It's your time & your detector or whatever else isn't worth your funeral bill.

Last edited:

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When walking my dog (a yellow lab), she found a $100 bill, a diamond ring, and a diamond necklace pendant. Just forget the detector and walk in safer areas!

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Dog!, not on California beaches, do what I do. Carry a long handle steel sand scoop. Makes a good club when they are over an arms length away, and a hori-hori knife, they are about a foot long. Garden Guru has a nice one and with a lifetime guarantee. The one time I had trouble in the early am on the beach I had only had to pull it halfway out of the sheath before he started running the other way. This old man ant taking any:censored: from anybody:laughing7:

Last edited:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
You pull a knife on someone you better be ready to use it. If you're not, you run the risk of the situation backfiring and getting cut or stabbed yourself. You may not be able to bring a dog on to many of the beaches where you live. Their is only one where I live allowed dogs. For detecting in the woods or bear country, nothing better than mans best friend along with you. The other guys are right, I feel pretty darn safe just with my steel scoop in my hand.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You pull a knife on someone you better be ready to use it. If you're not, you run the risk of the situation backfiring and getting cut or stabbed yourself. You may not be able to bring a dog on to many of the beaches where you live. Their is only one where I live allowed dogs. For detecting in the woods or bear country, nothing better than mans best friend along with you. The other guys are right, I feel pretty darn safe just with my steel scoop in my hand.

The same with the gun, and I have had training and experience with both.
The best advice is to be aware of your surroundings, don't get tunnel vision.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree dogs are to much of a distraction. Flare gun best all around Op and Legal ......... has to be a close shot.. bad is, One shot.. But it will leave a Mark..:laughing7:

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
A dog in the woods/forest? Sure, But this is beach and shallow water forum so I am assuming he's talking about hunting beaches with a dog. Not only would you run the risk of having the dog go after someone (here in Cali you'd lose your tail feathers in a lawsuit even IF they perp'ed you. ) Pull a knife? Absolutely! I'd rather have a knife on me and NEED it than NEED a knife and NOT have it. I also carry pepper spray and would use that first for sure! I've had a pack of dogs run up on me that got away from their owner. They were lit on biting me. I pulled my pepper and used it. Then I pulled my knife. Owner ran up yelling and settled it. I said I am a HUGE dog lover but i love myself much much more and if they bit me I'd use it and then sue the shi+ out of him.

Post is getting off track as they usually do. Anyways, I would take a dog to the desert or woods but not the beach. I carry a knife and spray. No debate here will change that for me.

OP
OP
S

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am located on one of the more remote Sandwich Islands.
You are restricted from carrying a concealed weapon, so that you cannot defend yourself!
The justification is that this is paradise and there is little violence.

Statistically this is true, the rub is that people just disappear!
Police reports are often not filed, as it is difficult and time consuming (you wait and you wait and you wait some more) - the police are very busy, but no one knows what they are doing? The police force is large the population small, and they are always undermanned?

Often a victim is intimidated when trying to report the crime, and even if the report is taken it is usually a total waste of effort as everyone, except for newcombers seems to be related (Think of the film Deliverance with dualing ukeles).

You can purchase a hand gun after taking a hunters safety course which must be turned over to the police, I assume for ballistics, and registered. The problem is that the carrying of this weapon is restricted - just to where you will be shooting.

Depending on the Island, a back ground investigation is required to carry Pepper Spray.

The result is that you are like a SITTING DUCK depending upon the police for your safety
The rub is that the mission of the police is to enforce the law, not prevent crime.

DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!
Never let them take your guns away which is your right to bear under the 12 th Ammendment

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread