Beater Vehicle

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What type of vehicle works best for metal detecting: {Less than 35 miles to beach, carry excalibur metal detector on tall man shaft, rest in, protect equipment}. Any helpful suggestion(s) would be greatly appreciated. I am currently driving an open bed pickup on its last leg, carry detector with (processor housing end in open trash can to and search coil end in another trash can facing the other way to protect from shock and keep out of sun.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I use.....a club cab Tacoma. I can lock stuff up if I need to, or just carry my gear in the bed if I don't. Going from beach to beach, it's nice to just be able to load up without having to clean the gear each and every time, like I'd have to do loading everything inside the cab.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
You can make any work...

I have two, Honda's.. Pilot and Accord. I like the SUV the best but I use the Accord for the Gas Mileage. 18 compared to around 31 .. When you hunt several days a week the gas is the factor and as cheap as it is now it still can add up.. Average price here is around two dollars a gallon

I have a Large piece of plastic in the back of each so all is needed is to pull out and dump once and awhile.

Last edited:

zigzag

Sep 17, 2011
ft laud, fl
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Honda elements have no carpet. They have rubber over the sound insulation instead. The rear seats can be removed for plenty of room. I have enough room for excaliburs with the long shafts, a couple of scoops and plastic tubs for mask, snorkel, pouches etc. Perfect car for my 6 day per week obsession.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
I've been DYING to get a new truck/tow rig for my jeep . It would also be my daily driver. I just can't justify a truck when it gets 15mpg. So with that said, I continue to drive my 2010 Honda civic. Fits a scoop perfectly diagonally in the trunk as well as everything else. I throw a folded tarp in the trunk to keep everything clean. Can't beat 32+ mpg. Esp with cali beach disappointments being the norm...

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I drive a 2005 Mazda MPV (minivan). I keep the back row of seats folded down into the floor, this gives me the room I need to keep all my gear. My F75 & LRP sit from the back door up between the split middle row seats. I need the whole back area to keep my gear organized. It is pretty much a 4 seater now.

th.jpg

My last vehicle was a 2001 Dodge Caravan, the rear seat stayed in the garage.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Get yourself a 2500 craigslist sleeper van so you can hit the beaches when you can and stay for a day or 2 with comfort

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I drive a 2002 Camry 4 dr...huge trunk. Walmart big blue tub in trunk handles all the gear and mess. I also tow my 14' Zodiac with it...31mpg vs 14 with my S10 4x4...I take the Toy. It does the job just fine.

Bubs

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Whatever can get you to point B and back again.Other than that it doesnt matter to me

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
I think an older mini-van, station wagon, SUV, is very practical. Gear is locked up, out of the weather , plus you can take a nap in one ! LOL

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest: