Issues with minelab excalibur 2 falsing

SRM

Tenderfoot
Nov 4, 2015
Niantic CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro silver sabre umax, Minelab excalibur 2.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi guys,I'm new to the forum, although I lurk here quite a bit.
I bought a minelab excalibur 2 about 6 weeks ago brand new. I've used it about 8 times in fresh and salt water and its been great.The other day I went to the beach did my usual settings. Discrimination 1,sensitivity between 5 and 6,threshold light hum,on Disc mode. Volume comfortable. Just a note. The day before I put silicone grease on threads of battery cap and very light bit on the 3 terminals inside. Any how the machine would not balance out on my normal settings. I tried everything to try an stabilize the unit . I concluded the it was the sand I was in,thick sledgey black stuff. Today I took it to clean sand and it went nuts again
I tested the battery and it was at 12.85 volts. I have no clue what's going on with it. Any ideas.
Thanks, SRM.

Upvote 0

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you cleaned out the coil cover?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ehhhh... Did you clean the battery term thoroughly before adding silicone. ?

IF it is not sand in the coil cover... then remove all silicone and clean with clean dry cloth... then re-apply new silicone LIGHT and NOT IN / ON terminals.

IF you still have false...
Make sure your cable setup is correct and up and away from coil.

If Still false...
Settings...
Turn your sens to about 6-ish.

IF still false...
Msg for information.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also try turning sens to Auto

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow .. Not a good way to be introduced to a new machine... When you pull the coil cover check the coil, under for any separating or gaps.. If you over tighten the wing nuts on the shaft to the coil this can cause the coil to pull and separate..water can seep in and cause falsing and damage the coil

Just another probability and not a good one if so.

OP
OP
S

SRM

Tenderfoot
Nov 4, 2015
Niantic CT.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all your responses. So I cleaned the silicone off of the battery terminals and left them dry for now. Coil cover cleaned after every use,I mean I pamper this machine. Tried on auto sensitivity, no luck there. Cable's are taped away from the coil. Checked the coil for any cracks or damage, nothing, looks perfect. Put the charger on it last night ,it's now fully charged at 14 volts. Will take it to the beach this afternoon and see what happens. I will post results.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No silicone at all. Try now.

MAke sure everything is silicone free and clean.

Use a Q-tip DRY into holes...

When replacing new silicone... use good stuff...
Low grade cones will conduct.

ONLY apply to the gasket... YOU DO still have the gasket correct ?
Try to avoid the pegs and holes...
Use the Q-tip that you cleaned out holes to re-apply silicone AFTER you have tested WITHOUT silicone first to see if this is the cause.

Make sure gasket / O-ring... is not cracked or torn.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's it like in pin point?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you still have the gasket on the powercable that connects to battery, if you don't it will be shorting out if you get it wet...?

OP
OP
S

SRM

Tenderfoot
Nov 4, 2015
Niantic CT.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Just back from the beach. Falsing in water and semi wet sand. Every sweep produces multiple false signals. I do still have the gasket,the round flat one. I use slick glide silicone. I think it's good stuff but I could be wrong. Good question about pinpoint. On pinpoint detector works but the threshold makes a uneven tone. Not like it used to sound like. Normally it has a nice strong even tone on pinpoint. I think I'm going to have to send it in and have it looked at. I'm not happy at all about this. Like I've said. I treat this thing like a baby and this happens. Thanks again for all you comments. If anyone has anything else I would appreciate your input. Will be sending out tomorrow or next day.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aarrggg, I just had to have one of mine sent in, came back great though.
I find a toothpick works better for applying that silicone.
Be sure your using the right silicone grease, not that home depot stuff.
Good luck, too!

silicone.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just back from the beach. Falsing in water and semi wet sand. Every sweep produces multiple false signals. I do still have the gasket,the round flat one. I use slick glide silicone. I think it's good stuff but I could be wrong. Good question about pinpoint. On pinpoint detector works but the threshold makes a uneven tone. Not like it used to sound like. Normally it has a nice strong even tone on pinpoint. I think I'm going to have to send it in and have it looked at. I'm not happy at all about this. Like I've said. I treat this thing like a baby and this happens. Thanks again for all you comments. If anyone has anything else I would appreciate your input. Will be sending out tomorrow or next day.

Try flexing the cable at the coil and at the controls and see if it causes it to false... Your not getting the silicone on the power prongs are you? If so don't...

You will want to send it to the Minelab Repair Center at Kellyco..

Minelab Repair Center
1085 Belle Ave
Winter Springs Fl 32708-2961

Include a note with your name, address, phone number and short description of what it is doing wrong..

On another note, just so you know, you said your normal sensitivity is 5-6, all beaches are different, sensitivity setting on one beach could easily be different on another beach or even different part of the same beach... Also on volume it makes a difference in the target tone sounds where your volume switch is at, I max the volume switch out on mine...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No silicone at all. Try now.

MAke sure everything is silicone free and clean.

Use a Q-tip DRY into holes...

When replacing new silicone... use good stuff...
Low grade cones will conduct.

ONLY apply to the gasket... YOU DO still have the gasket correct ?
Try to avoid the pegs and holes...
Use the Q-tip that you cleaned out holes to re-apply silicone AFTER you have tested WITHOUT silicone first to see if this is the cause.

Make sure gasket / O-ring... is not cracked or torn.

? ? ? did you do these ?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remove ALL silicone and all traces of silicone... Wipe completely free of any and all residual...

Then try.

OP
OP
S

SRM

Tenderfoot
Nov 4, 2015
Niantic CT.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey guy's, thanks for all the help. I will try the latest suggestions and let you know what happens. I'm trying everything you say. I am really enjoying using my detector. I went out and purchased a wetsuit booties and gloves,which I have been using and am having great time. The water temp is around 50 degrees but I have no problem with it.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey guy's, thanks for all the help. I will try the latest suggestions and let you know what happens. I'm trying everything you say. I am really enjoying using my detector. I went out and purchased a wetsuit booties and gloves,which I have been using and am having great time. The water temp is around 50 degrees but I have no problem with it.
''

Your a stronger man then me...50 is cold..

OP
OP
S

SRM

Tenderfoot
Nov 4, 2015
Niantic CT.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello OBN, Funny story. I have a pond that I go to after I beach /water hunt. I go to the pond to rinse off my gear. I usually whare
e my gloves when I go in. Last week I walk in holding my detector in one and and my scoop in the other. When I put my bare hands in to rinse the equipment they froze. I was surprised at how 5 mm gloves protected me from the cold. The suit I whare is 7mm,booties 6mm.

OP
OP
S

SRM

Tenderfoot
Nov 4, 2015
Niantic CT.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey everyone, Got news from kellyco last week that mother board on my excal needed to be replaced. It took the guy's down there (I live in Connecticut ) a few times out testing until it started acting up. Very happy they were able to get it to false. Would have hated to get it back and have it start acting crazy again. I should get it back on Tuesday. The weather here is forecast to be 30 degrees. Still hope to at least get to the beach and test it out. I will let everyone know how it goes. Just wanted to thank you again for all of your support.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread