Jones Beach, Long Island, NY - 12-11-15 Sand Shark & Silver uMax

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit beach #4 with long time hunting partner Joe P., with both the new Sand Shark set-up, and the Silver uMax. What a gorgeous day! I picked up about $2.00 in clad, a Canadian coin, an old token of some kind, and the usual fish hooks and weights in the water. Joe scored a 1910 Dime in the dry sand!

It took about an hour to get the Plugger Straight Shaft set-up comfortable. I ended up having to extend the lower shaft twice. Once I got used to it I really liked it. I spent the first few hours in the water and on the wet sand, but really had no finds to show other than some deep #4 fishing weights. I took off the waders and broke out the Silver uMax for the last couple of hours. I tested it in the wet sand, and was pretty impressed when it hit a dime about 6" down in the wet sand. Of course, after swinging the Sand Shark, the Silver uMax was so light it felt like I was just swinging my arm back and forth!

So, the big story here was a 60-degree day at the beach in New York. Wow! :headbang:

Attachments

• IMG_20151210_131510.jpg
    IMG_20151210_131510.jpg
    930.6 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_20151210_131516.jpg
    IMG_20151210_131516.jpg
    509.6 KB · Views: 149
  • joe p.jpg
    joe p.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_20151211_181330_edit.jpg
    IMG_20151211_181330_edit.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell me you picked that one up.
There is a gold doubloon just laying on top of the sand on right side of the third footstep in pic 2.

Made you look :P

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice hunt. Thanks for sharing!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
It was a Beautiful day !! And some very nice pictures of it!! Thanks for sharing!

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Enjoyable post, Terry, and thanks for sharing the great pics!

It's been beautiful weather here across the Sound also.
Lorraine

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hit beach #4 with long time hunting partner Joe P., with both the new Sand Shark set-up, and the Silver uMax. I took off the waders and broke out the Silver uMax for the last couple of hours. I tested it in the wet sand, and was pretty impressed when it hit a dime about 6" down in the wet sand.

Silver uMax works in the wet sand? Do you have to keep constantly adjusting it, or is it pretty stable? What settings do you use on the Silver uMax for the beach and wet sand?

I may need to pick one up for the really trashy beaches.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I'v been using my golden umax in the wet salt sand successfully with sensitivity turned up. Past weekend found a couple of dollars in change including 7 nickels and a fake ring. Depth has been decent. I know it's not suppose to do well but it does. Could be just my hunting location on the Long Island sound.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
While I was hunting I was thinking of making a video so others could see how it performed. Love that detector.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver uMax works in the wet sand? Do you have to keep constantly adjusting it, or is it pretty stable? What settings do you use on the Silver uMax for the beach and wet sand?

I may need to pick one up for the really trashy beaches.

I had the discrimination set at Nickel, and the Sensitivity was at 7. Unless you put it right on the sand it was very stable.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can only dream of a sunny day on the beach. We just had a bunch of hail on top of our mud.

Sorry to hear that Bill. Rainy and 70-degrees here, 25-miles north of New York City.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty soon could look like this again.
I hope not.
IMAG0232.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey ... just looked at this thread again fr a minute...
I noticed a few things in pics...

One... The empty or near empty liquer bottles... in first pic...
Then in other pic of footsteps... they go straight... then to side... then straight... etc...

It reminds m of the ole "Yellowbeard" movie...

"Stagger stagger... Crawl crawl"... "stagger stagger... crawl crawl... :P

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I had the discrimination set at Nickel, and the Sensitivity was at 7. Unless you put it right on the sand it was very stable.

Thanks again, Terry. The settings you gave me for my Sand Shark have worked perfectly. Now I need to add a Silver UMax to my Christmas list.

Hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy New Year.

BL

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wow, beautiful day for December, ! This year is one for the record books!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread