Whos Carrying a Glock While Detecting Va. Beach? Mention on National News.

ShovelNose

Apr 6, 2010
Little River S.C.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who's Carrying a Glock While Detecting Va. Beach? Mention on National News.

"Not that there is anything wrong with it" lol Watching Fox Business News last night and Dagen McDowell mention that she had seen a guy carrying a Glock while he was metal detecting at Va. Beach. He told her it was to protect his gold ring finds. No time frame but seemed to indicated it had been recent. She is pro gun but was still seemed to be shocked to see it on the beach. Sure he has his reasons but I have not felt the need to yet. Has anyone else felt the need to carry at the beach?

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is very common...
Many detectorists "carry" while detecting.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to hide a gun in a bikini. LOL!
One off duty cop, detecting Miami Bch a yr or 2 ago, was glad he had his.
Two guys tried to rob him on the beach (at night), yeah, he had to shoot them.
Don't know who was in Va. Bch. Can you find a youtube clip of it and post that?

toolmanbutch

Aug 23, 2015
Upstate NY and Floridas East Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Bounty Hunter
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never leave home without a Pistol. It could be my Glock 19, my S&W 38 or my LCR380. I can carry legally in 36 States.
Toolman Butch

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
"Not that there is anything wrong with it" lol Watching Fox Business News last night and Dagen McDowell mention that she had seen a guy carrying a Glock while he was metal detecting at Va. Beach. He told her it was to protect his gold ring finds. No time frame but seemed to indicated it had been recent. She is pro gun but was still seemed to be shocked to see it on the beach. Sure he has his reasons but I have not felt the need to yet. Has anyone else felt the need to carry at the beach?

Is there that much Gold in VB that one needs to carry a gun? .....well maybe some of the beach's in Jersey and NY..I would be more worried about my detector

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The day I feel that I have to carry a gun MDing is the day I hang it up,

Snap on Man

Apr 15, 2012
Tupelo, Ms
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5- Teknetics T 2 Classic w NEL Sharpshooter coil - Whites TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SCCY CPX-2 is my little helper!!

icemncmth

Nov 10, 2015
NE Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on where I am going. Some place in the middle of no place Oklahoma... CP P07 is with me.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I don't carry a gun because I'm in the water 80% of the time. I do carry a knife that'll do damage and pepper spray also.if those fail I'll beat the perp with a 200.00 stainless steel pointed shovel until their momma won't recognize them. If that fails I'll throw my 10.00 in pennies at them and start screaming like a little girl...

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
double post

Last edited:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
LCP 380 everywhere. Which includes the beach.

It's not just to protect my finds, or my detector... it's because of the world we now live in.

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Canada we just get to be victims, we don't get the option to defend ourselves. Even at home everything has to be under lock and key, I dont think a criminal is going to pause while we go to our gun safe, punch in the code, or remove trigger locks, find the ammunition then load mags etc. We are dead long before. It is the world we live in, criminals have more rights.

Harold in Fla.

Jul 18, 2007
N.C
Detector(s) used
I use the excel 1000 have been since they came out.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe you have to now, these crack heads will knock you out and even sell your gear to make money to buy their drugs, not this bad before but it's getting that way, Happy hunting Joe

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always carry my .45 when detecting if I'm not going in surf past knee deep, not to protect any rings, but rather to protect myself and my equipment. I knew a man who was mugged at Daytona Beach at dusk while walking back to his car, he fought them off using his scoop but got a concussion from being hit in head.

Someone posted on here in south florida they were robbed at beach at night while detecting, they stole his wallet, jewelry and his detector as well....

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Joe you have to now, these crack heads will knock you out and even sell your gear to make money to buy their drugs, not this bad before but it's getting that way, Happy hunting Joe

Thanks Harold, I guess your right. I've lost contact with the Normal because all of the old beach's I hunt are now gone and private ... just homes in front of them so not many faces seen. MY biggest concern now in the water is Bull Sharks and Bacteria.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread