CZ-21 owners, IDing bottle caps and pull tabs?

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CZ-21 owners, ID'ing bottle caps and pull tabs?

Lately I've noticed something about my CZ, bottle caps can ring up ANYWHERE, but generally seem to bounce across all three tones. Pull tabs bounce between high and mid tone.

Coins are always a high tone including nickels.

How many of you pass on a bouncy signal? I've been digging everything except iron in trashy areas but I keep finding these bouncy signals wasting my time.

I have not found enough good targets with my CZ to be confident that a gold or silver ring won't bounce between two tones, but I'm fairly certain that would be a solid tone unless very deep. Of course I can air test but that is not the same as digging something rusty and corroded in salt water.

What say ye?

Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What was the answer?

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Do you feel lucky"

Basically if there is any high or mid tone at all, dig it. That's what I do now in the water ... but I was wondering about those faint whispers in AT mode that don't always ring up.

What do you think?

When I wander into the dry sand I skip anything bouncy.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CZ-21 owners, ID'ing bottle caps and pull tabs?

I basically want to dig anything above small bits of iron. Think about a necklace, watch or bracelet with multiple alloys or precious metals. The shape alone combined with the different conductivities would cause bouncy tones or VDI numbers, so to be sure you have to lay your eyes on it!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Casper is the Master with the CZ20/21s, but I do know deep gold will come up as a lowtone, just like the Excalibur deep gold will null or no tone at all..if one is reverse disc hunting

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper is the Master with the CZ20/21s, but I do know deep gold will come up as a lowtone, just like the Excalibur deep gold will null or no tone at all..if one is reverse disc hunting
Thanks OBN -
on the subject of bottle caps - you have youre all steel caps - which will come up as low or mid tone
Corona caps go off as high most of the time - they use a micro brass wash to prevent rusting
Im not a beer drinker but when ive had parties and put a lot of bottles in bins or tubs of ice - and later removed the left overs
many of the caps Id see light rust after a few days if I did not wipe them down - I think many other companies
know this now and they too put a brass or alloy wash to prevent or slow rusting - that is why a lot of caps go off
better than they should
- In southern waters such as Fla. - caps get caked - Ive found tons on my trips
up here caps dissolve - something to do with the salt up here
it also dissolves nails and bobby pins etc eventually - so we don't have the same iron prob
that others do - unless its big steel or iron
yes newer caps are still a prob - though I believe that people care more about our waters up here than
the people in places like SOBE do - plus we don't have the Spring break problem where 9 out of 10 caps end up
in the water - they are very strict about drinking in waters up here

I hunt in all metal 99% of the time - I crank my sensitivity and hunt older areas and go for whisper signals
when I get a faint signal - I will click to zero and see what I get for a ID tone - I'll tell you more times than not -
I will get no response or a low tone response - that is because the target is either so deep it can not bounce back
a signal strong enough to create a mid or high tone or the object is small - I can usually tell when its a small target
when I get a signal that I feel is below a foot deep - I fan anywhere from 4- 6 inches with my dive boot -then recheck
this is usually enough to turn a faint low tone - to a mid or high tone
this being said - anyone who hunts in ID mode all the time - youre missing deep deep stuff
and if youre passing up low tones all the time - youre missing goodies too
years ago I followed a guy that thought he cleaned a spot with a cz21 - he saw me detecting and pulled up as I was leaving
he said "you did not get much I bet" I showed him a pouch full of greenies that I pulled out down over a foot
he was shocked - I asked how he was using his machine - said he was running on 3 in ID mode - sometimes 5
I told him - that's why you missed all these - he said what about the junk - I had about 5 good targets for every bad
to me its worth it hunting in all metal - if you go to my album pages and check out my hunt finds - youll
see the ratio of junk to good from most of my hunts - to me its worth going for it all - if I miss something
its cause of poor swinging or items were deeper than I could reach that day - not cause I passed up on a signal

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
Dual Field, CZ-21, V3i, VX3, Deus, BHID 300, Coinmaster GT, MX5, Ace 150, Ace 250, Gtax 1000, MXT Pro
Just got the CZ-21 myself and was able to hunt with it once so far. I also noticed the bottlecaps are bouncy, especially the rusted corroded ones. I started passing on those signals myself, sometimes lol

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok thanks guys! yeah I tend to go back and forth.. sometimes I dig everything including iron hits, because watches will come up as iron (my stainless pilot's watch does). Then sometimes if it's really trashy I'll start passing up iron and bouncy signals.

I never disc above 0 though and I never hunt in anything but autotune.

Thanks for answering my question about the targets which give a faint whisper in autotune but don't ring up in disc 0. Sounds like I need to take a few scoops and check those again!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if your batteries are getting low -it will cause targets to bounce also
and it will cause targets to go off low because not enough juice to get targets to read high
batteries are low = signal sent is weak = so signal returned is weak

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if your batteries are getting low -it will cause targets to bounce also
and it will cause targets to go off low because not enough juice to get targets to read high
batteries are low = signal sent is weak = so signal returned is weak

I noticed this! I was wondering if I was just going nuts, thanks for confirming what I *thought* was happening! The older my batteries got (I was at around 35 hours), the more bouncy signals became... sometimes giving me multiple scattered hits on a single target.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I am rushed or tired and in the water, I put it on 1 and dig everything that is repeatable, even if it bounces between two tones. The only exception is the double tone (nail). For sure this misses goodies but sometimes just focusing on the mid gold tone is a strategy for covering lots of ground and getting big mens rings. When I am fresh or find a spot that seems good, I switch to either all metal or zero and dig everything. Especially the deeper stuff, because at depth you cannot trust the detector. For sure, I get quite a few corroded bottle caps and pull tabs with whatever I try. I have gone back over spots when on vacation that I thought I had cleaned everything out the day before and still found some good stuff.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I discriminate out iron and dig everything else. I only hunt in the water these days when on the coast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread