any other shipwreck researcher types around here besides me ?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I have found to find highly productive shipwreck treasure beach areas---- first you have to find the old shipwreaks that are near shore in fairly shallow water that are of the correct type and age--that haven't been beat to death by everyone and their brother-then you have to make sure that the beaches there aren't buried under a ton of "new" renourishment sand---or if it is where the "high wear" or hot spots are.---I like finding "old" documents and papers --- finding and reading this "magic" hidden info helps keep me ahead of the "pack" quite often---Ivan

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ivan, I used to do this when I was traveling the east coast. I couldn't be in the water all the time and this was fun also. Now with all the major beaches dredging sand up from deeper water and setting it on the dry beach, what ever was out in deep water gets deposited ashore for some dude with a el cheapo to find. If your not sweeping, your not finding.

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Sandman, ....If you're not swinging, you're not finding.... Along with the constant reading of old documents and books on local history, visits to Historical Societies, etc, observations of what you are finding and seeing on the beach also can help you find new off shore wrecks.
Deepsix

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it really doesnt matter how much sand they dredge and put on the beach.if they dont add it to the deeper water as well,its all going to get washed off the beach an distributed evenly off shore.the engineers still have not learned this after wasting the tax payers money.you cant fight mother nature or the ocean for that matter.the public needs to be educated about this.anyone that doesnt own beach front property wont know or care about all the money wasted.whatare they going to do when the water rises 23 feet from the ice caps melting?whats the highest land in florida?i think i will keep my house in orlando,someday i will have beach front property.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Ivan,

I purchased the books you recommended. The Treasure Divers Guide by Potter and Shipwrecks of Florida by Singer. I also got Shipwrecks of the Caribbean by Gilkes. They have some great information, thanks for the reference. I’m just beginning to hunt shipwrecks on Florida’s west coast, via the written word.

I keep finding reference to lots of activity during the very early stages of Florida’s sailing discoveries. I’m not seeing much tho that has any specific information focused on this area. Would you by chance have any recommendations that cover this side in a little more detail?

There are old stories about a small battle in Tampa Bay where a ship was sunk as the captain was running for his hiding spot on Ross Island. That, combined with lots of rumors has got me beginning to get interested in the research end of this.

The old maps are fantastic. When you see the sailors using the same anchorages in the 15 & 1600’s that we use today, really gets me excited about learning more.

Thanks for your direction, it’s much appreciated.

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
one more book --- shipwrecks in florida waters by marx --glad I can help---these books are "starting line"---not the "finish line"---they let you know the "basic information"---the year --nationialty of the wreck---its name sometimes---perhaps the rough area and maybe a bit about the history of how it went down and such---using this starter info --you then have to flesh out the story by looking at the very old records in the state of florida or local historical groups or even library's or county court house records or ---find old "newspaper" type documents of the area from that era---there are many differant types of "sources"---old sea charts and maps are great aids too---Ivan

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of the books listed here are great. They get the blood going, are a great source for hours of treasure hunting conversations and a good place to BEGIN on your quest for treasure. Except for the treasures actually recovered however, the rest have to be taken with a grain of salt. Even the "experts" can be wrong. Bob Marx for instance insisted the Atocha was in the Bahamas (no disrespect to Bob, he's one heck of a Treasure Hunter). I'm merely pointing out that even the best can be wrong.

Also, how many beach hunters know that along the well known and worked treasure beaches of the 1715 fleet there are cannon and anchors (a lot of them) not only just a few yards off shore but buried in the sand right up on the beach? How about the Side Wheel Coastal Freighter that ran aground in the early 1900's, lost most of her side wheel and it lays buried near the dune line (with a great deal of her cargo) along one of the most popular treasure beaches.

How about a place where you can slip on a tank, make a short swim off shore and find all of the old Spanish pot shards you can carry back (occasionally even an intact one). There is also the underwater cave that produces everything from old coke bottles to onion bottles. These and many other places are out there and didn't come from the pages of a book. Had they, they would have long ago been stripped of anything of value. They are money in the bank for a few old timers.

How do you find these types of places? That my friend is a trade secret that you will come to know if you put in your time. My whole point with this post is to encourage you to look further then just records for your information, there are many other sources out there that are waiting to be tapped.
Deepsix

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
studying the past --talking with old timers when you can get them to talk that is is a great thimg fiest you must know for a fact it really existed and isn't just a "old story"---they you focus you time and energy on it---Ivan

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
studying the past --talking with old timers when you can get them to talk that is is a great thimg fiest you must know for a fact it really existed and isn't just a "old story"---they you focus you time and energy on it---Ivan

That's a good place to start but let's knock the negative out of our thinking. Instead of saying ....when you can get them to talk.... possibly think in terms of "how best to get them to open up". Instead of ....is it just an old story.... file the information away (always keep a personal notebook) for future reference and use.

With that I think this will be my last post on this thread. These are things best learned on your own and when you have "paid your dues"....lol. You'll appreciate them more and be free minded enough to develop your own meathods and techniques. My best to all.
Deepsix

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
I totally agree that some stuff is best learned first hand or thru a trusted "teacher" in person---Ivan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread