Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
Garrett XL500 “Super Pulse”
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After some trial and error i think I have finally got my new CZ21 to where I want it. Because I chest mount, I needed to ensure any stress on coil cable and headphones was minimised or stopped altogether.
Here is what I have done, starting from the coil and working up.

Shaft and coil;
Several layers of Plasti-Dip to protect the coil. I hate coil covers and had to destroy the old one to get it off.
Just enough coil cable slack for the coil to rotate.
Coil cable wrapped firmly and in a straight line.
A “Plugger” shaft lock that joins the upper and lower shaft. These are a great product.
Off the shelf carbon fibre upper shaft. I got two lengths of 40” for around $50.
Minelab handle and arm cuff were added as I use the stock shaft for diving.

Control Box;
The white plastic (called Cable Tie Mounts with a strong adhesive backing) “bit” on top serves as a point to cable tie the coil cable to. This eliminates any stress on the cable by creating a small loop. I added some white electrical tape to the area that the cable tie secures the coil cable so it doesn’t bite in.
Some strong rubber bands (green in photo) that secure the headphone cable to the body of the detector. This prevents cable stress for when the headphones get washed off your head.
4 x Imedion 9.6V NiMH rechargeable batteries. These are good for about 20 hours.

That is about it. After every use, the whole unit is washed in fresh water thoroughly and a good dose of silicone spray is applied to just about everywhere, especially the 4 control knobs and detector case. I also take off the headphone pads and soak them and the headphones in a bucket of fresh water to really get rid of any salt build up.

I hope some of these ideas might help other people out. I’d like to hear about what you do with your CZ21 or underwater detectors. I firmly believe a good (preventative) maintenance schedule is crucial to a long service life.

HH,
Tony

Attachments

• IMG_20151231_172205465.jpg
    IMG_20151231_172205465.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 163
  • _20151231_172535.jpg
    _20151231_172535.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 160
  • _20151231_172615.jpg
    _20151231_172615.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good looking set-up. I still use my coil cover and never had a problem with it. I even got it off easily to clean the dirt out. What I need is an alarm telling me the battery cover is still loose. I have gotten water in there with my CZ20 twice. If allowed to stay wet, the batteries pop and the wires corrode. Not a good thing. I am still looking for a tech or parts for the 20. I might have to send it to factory. In the mean time, I have a 21.

OP
OP
Octopulse

Octopulse

Mar 13, 2010
Perth
Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe some sort of visual reminder on top of the detector case. Get one of those fine tip paint pens and write something like "CHECK BATTERY SEAL"......I always keep the right sized coin in my finds pouch just in case I need to tighten the battery door but not too much force.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chest mount looks good.

I've been hunting with a chest mount, and while I love how it feels in the water, with controls easily accessible, I've grown tired of dealing with moving the entire rig in and out of the house... it's sort of cumbersome to carry the chest mount, cable, and pole and not get them all tangled up. Storing the machine is a little difficult also since I can't just hang the machine on a hook in my closet, and I don't like the constant stress on the cable.

I've decided to switch to a straight shaft style "under elbow" mount. I made a nice little CZ20/21 adapter which bolts cleanly onto the stock shaft with no holes needing to be drilled.

So far it feels nice, it balances nicely and while the machine feels heavier, it actually feels a little better on my elbow since it's balanced better than just the 10" coil on the end of a pole. Will give it a try tonight and see what I think. Once I set up the machine I really only do one click of the DISC knob, so I can reach that with my other hand without looking.

You can see both rigs below. I made a few extra mounts if you ever want one.

Attachments

• chest.jpg
    chest.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 85
  • ss.jpg
    ss.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 126
  • ss2.jpg
    ss2.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
OP
OP
Octopulse

Octopulse

Mar 13, 2010
Perth
Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chest mount looks good.

I've been hunting with a chest mount, and while I love how it feels in the water, with controls easily accessible, I've grown tired of dealing with moving the entire rig in and out of the house... it's sort of cumbersome to carry the chest mount, cable, and pole and not get them all tangled up. Storing the machine is a little difficult also since I can't just hang the machine on a hook in my closet, and I don't like the constant stress on the cable.

I've decided to switch to a straight shaft style "under elbow" mount. I made a nice little CZ20/21 adapter which bolts cleanly onto the stock shaft with no holes needing to be drilled.

So far it feels nice, it balances nicely and while the machine feels heavier, it actually feels a little better on my elbow since it's balanced better than just the 10" coil on the end of a pole. Will give it a try tonight and see what I think. Once I set up the machine I really only do one click of the DISC knob, so I can reach that with my other hand without looking.

I couldn't agree more about the "clumsiness" of a chest mount setup, just like you mentioned.
Although I have eliminated the problem associated with cable stress and mostly enjoy a chest mount setup, your under the elbow is very appealing as I still prefer everything on a shaft. I like the professional looking mounts you have engineered. How is the resistance from the control box when swept underwater?
You have got me thinking !!
Thanks and I appreciate those great photo's.
Tony

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I was getting a lot of "hangar rash"... I dropped the unit several times while trying to store it.. the shaft would fall for example, and yank the cable and pull the unit and harness right off my shelf. Now I can hang the entire unit on a hook and no worries.

Not sure about the drag, I haven't had it in the water yet, but there is very little side to side movement since it's under the elbow.

Nothing wrong with chest mount, I haven't completely written it off yet, it does have it's advantages.

OP
OP
Octopulse

Octopulse

Mar 13, 2010
Perth
Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that I think about it, there are people using the Anderson under the shaft setup and I haven't heard any problems from them.
I don't think it will be a problem at all.
I just sent you a PM.........

Off to the beach now....already hit 43C down here. I think that's close to 110F in your measurement !!
The AC is on and the beer is cold so I can't complain too much...:occasion14:

Tony

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that I think about it, there are people using the Anderson under the shaft setup and I haven't heard any problems from them.
I don't think it will be a problem at all.
I just sent you a PM.........

Off to the beach now....already hit 43C down here. I think that's close to 110F in your measurement !!
The AC is on and the beer is cold so I can't complain too much...:occasion14:

Tony

110F! We are 52F here in FL!

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If anything, the silicone spray nourishes all plastic and rubber. It is not petroleum based. I have been using it on all my water detectors for 15 years and never had a problem. No chance of gumming up anything, it is designed as an all parts lubricant and protection. Additionally, it can't seep past anything that water couldn't already penetrate but if it did, so much the better. I don't use it much on the gasket but spray the captive screws and female thread.
I like to use it on the coil and HP cables as well. Offsets the UV damage that will cause some cable jackets to crack and become brittle.

Check the ingredients. The first ingredient of some silicone sprays (such as CRC) is ACETONE. Acetone dissolves ABS plastic. It will also weld two pieces of plastic together. I use it in my shop to melt ABS plastic.

Which brand are you using? Some are safe. I prefer Amor All.

Your brackets are in the mail!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Octopulse

Octopulse

Mar 13, 2010
Perth
Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't wait for the brackets. I have "food grade" silicone spray....great for when I'm really hungry...:laughing7:

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the ingredients. The first ingredient of some silicone sprays (such as CRC) is ACETONE. Acetone dissolves ABS plastic. It will also weld two pieces of plastic together. I use it in my shop to melt ABS plastic.

Which brand are you using? Some are safe. I prefer Amor All.

Your brackets are in the mail!

Fwiw , I use trident brand silicone spray its meant to be used on scuba gear. Should be safe , another brand that others use is mcnett

OP
OP
Octopulse

Octopulse

Mar 13, 2010
Perth
Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fwiw , I use trident brand silicone spray its meant to be used on scuba gear. Should be safe , another brand that others use is mcnett

I think the key is to use "food grade"....such as the Trident brand you have mentioned. Good stuff.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool I see that have a non aerosol version of the trident spray. Thanks for the info.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool I see that have a non aerosol version of the trident spray. Thanks for the info.

Yes I like the non aerosol version ,its safer to keep in a hot car.

OP
OP
Octopulse

Octopulse

Mar 13, 2010
Perth
Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chest mount looks good.

Brackets received....they are a great piece of gear. I sent you a PM.
I now much prefer the under the elbow setup.
Thanks again,
Tony.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool! I'm glad you like setup! The old pros were right about the straight shaft setup.

Update: I've had a few people asking me to make them one, so I put some up on ebay, item 291656461714

Attachments

• ss.jpg
    ss.jpg
    623.7 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My coil cover came off alright....in about 80 pieces. A pair of small side cutters was the right tool for the job but not before I just about lost a few finger nails....never cursed so much in my life !

The plastic dip in the gallon can worked beautifully. Never having to deal with that coil cover will be a great blessing. I used a florescent red. I think it should also make seeing the coil in some of the murky waters easier. Great idea much appreciated.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah I don't even bother. When my coil shows serious wear, I sand it, and re-apply thickened epoxy (that's what it's made of).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread