Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tuesday - Thursday looks to be like the perfect setup for some serious beach erosion. Some very serious surf could be following these series of storms coming in.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451763864.798179.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451763880.980956.jpg

Make sure the detector is charged and be safe out there.

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
mytimetoshine, not sure about your particular machine's ability on wet salt beaches. But there could still be some erosion in SF area on Saturday. Since it takes a few days for spots that eroded out to sand back in usually.

As for where you can go there: If you want to be particular, you'd need to steer clear of GGNRA administered beaches. (if you want the technical answer). I'm sure you can find on-line maps showing color-coded boundary lines of which beach is which.

OP
OP
redcobra8u

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, I've got a dilema. I just bought my first detector ever, a Nokta fors gold plus. I've just barely used it twice but I have an appointment in San Francisco this Saturday. I would love to get out to the beach for a bit but I have no idea. Where would I go? I don't even know the laws of beach hunting in CA and I'm sure my detector isn't ideal or how to adjust it for beach hunting. Anybody point me in the right direction?

Don't know much about your detector but there are no restrictions here in Cali. Try asking that question in the brands section. Should be decent hunting up there.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The law is: cover your holes, be nice to look-lou's, and don't wear speedo's. Do that and your golden. I've been hunting state beaches lately. State parks in all essence. I've had cops drive by on the beach, I've had lifeguards, and everyone in between. Most I get is a wave.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... I've been hunting state beaches lately. State parks in all essence. I've had cops drive by on the beach, I've had lifeguards, and everyone in between. Most I get is a wave.

Yes. CA state beaches have historically been open game. Despite "cultural heritage" boiler plate language in the state park's dept's code. You can even (gasp) find a 51+ yr. old coin, and be totally ignored. So I guess the subject has never been scrutinized for clarifications. A sort of "grandfathered in" situation ?

One time however, about 15 yrs. ago, I knew a guy who got hassled by a state archie on one of the state beaches. My friend , at first, thought it was a joke. Some stranger saying "you can't be doing this on state beaches". But he soon realized he was talking to an archie, who had just happened to be at that beach that day to give a lecture at a museum there. And just happened to glance down on the beach and see the md'r. The two of them squared off, with my friend refusing to leave. The archie stormed off saying he was going to get a ranger/LEO. My friend resumed hunting. But after a few minutes got the willies, and decided to leave before anything became of this.

He reported what had happened to him on a CA md'ing forum. Naturally the rest of us just assumed that the archie was mistaken. Because, afterall, we all *know* that you can md CA state beaches, right ? So it would merely be a matter of looking through CA park's codes, and "setting the guy in this place" to prove him wrong. Right ?

But the more we collectively looked into it, the more we realized we better leave good enough alone, and NOT "seek clarifications". Odds are, that archie went back to Sacramento, and odds of him ever running into an md'r again are slim to none. So too do I suspect a lot of supposedly off-limits places get born: A fluke incident like this happens, and md'rs rush for "solidarity" and "seeking clarifications" to "fight scrams". That was 15+ yrs. ago, and you can still hunt CA state beaches till you're blue in the face.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Right now San Diego has a flash flood warning in effect for the next several hours. It's DUMPING rain. Gotta go to work tonight (I work outside.. fun) and in the morning I'll be in my full suit hitting the tides with the trusty excal

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
All the Monterey bay beaches were lousy today . Maybe tomorrow ?

Ccarson

Dec 20, 2014
El Monte,Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt pro,surf pi pro,trx pinpointer
Minelab eureka
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was watching some web cams today and seen a guy out at Huntington Beach detecting in the rain. Then later on I could swear I seen the same guy detecting down in Newport beach. He was swinging kinda fast. Not sure if it was because of the rain.

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
I'm jealous! Good Luck!!

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
It is utterly dumping rain right now. We had 2 tornado sightings off the coast yesterday and the whole county is in a flash flood warning. Am I sick in the head that I am dying to wait 2 more hours to get my butt to the beach just after high tide pulls back?> I think I am a little off at least.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful out there in the surf. It's pretty wild today. Hunted yesterday and today. Did pretty good yesterday with 3 rings, a bracelet, a necklace, a wheat, 2 silver war nickels, a buffalo nickel, a silver Rosie, and 3 mercs, but only got a hat pin today along with some clad at a different beach. 12 foot surf and some crazy rogue waves made in impossible to go out in the water.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Poor results today as well. Spent 5 hrs in a wet suit and rain gear. Only got 5.00 in change and a silver ring.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
All the beaches on one side of Monterey bay were lame yesterday. But certain beaches on the other side of the bay had some low spots. Not the ideal scallops, cuts, slopes that's preferable, but just general beach over-all being lowered at one of our touristy beaches. There were 4 machines there at one point, and everyone had targets to choose from . I got 90+ coins, and could easily have done 200 if I'd wanted. Also a silver earing and a gold tooth-crown-cap (from cremated ashes being scattered into the surf).

But got greedy and wanted to see if even better spots existed on other beaches. Found a few nubby cuts for another 90-ish coins total, at 2 other beaches. But no gold Lotta fun. Lotta quarters ($23+ in face value alone).

I've seen better. Where are the days of standing in a zone no bigger than your living room, and digging 200 coins and 5 gold rings ? Oh well, El nino is still young. More swells coming let's hope
smile.gif

SBMatt

Greenie
Dec 22, 2015
Goleta, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out to my backyard beach today and it was totally eroded! Probably 3 or 4 feet lower than I've ever seen before. I've never found coins down near the water, but today I found plenty! My ace 350 was limited with only 2 sensitivity and coins were never deeper than 4 inches, but it was really fun. I did wish I had an excal...

In all I found a little over $2 in clad, but I'll be back out tomorrow!

OP
OP
redcobra8u

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went out to my backyard beach today and it was totally eroded! Probably 3 or 4 feet lower than I've ever seen before. I've never found coins down near the water, but today I found plenty! My ace 350 was limited with only 2 sensitivity and coins were never deeper than 4 inches, but it was really fun. I did wish I had an excal...

In all I found a little over $2 in clad, but I'll be back out tomorrow!

SBmatt, if you need help, PM me. I'll bring my excal up.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was watching some web cams today and seen a guy out at Huntington Beach detecting in the rain. Then later on I could swear I seen the same guy detecting down in Newport beach. He was swinging kinda fast. Not sure if it was because of the rain.

Wasn't an old dude swinging an old red Bounty Hunter was it? Ran into a guy that was running around with his coil about a foot off the sand swinging hard & fast in Newport around 15th St.:icon_scratch: Talked to him and he told me he was only looking for watches. He must've been doing something right he showed me a pocketful.

If any of you are close to Laguna Beach, give main beach a shot! Used to scour down to bedrock when the surf was coming from the NW. You may think I'm kidding, but the last time I was there we filled our pockets by mostly eyeballing. If I wasn't in the middle of a project, I'd be typing this as I was going down the 405!

SBMatt

Greenie
Dec 22, 2015
Goleta, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SBmatt, if you need help, PM me. I'll bring my excal up.

Anyone is welcome to join me, would appreciate the company. Though I can't guarantee it will be as good tomorrow. This beach isn't a major touristy beach so might not be much gold, but also not detected much that I've seen. Tomorrow is another very low tide afternoon. From what I saw today, the top layer of sand was very shallow and pebbles under it.

streetglide

Aug 17, 2011
Santa Barbara ca.
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Excal. 800, 1000
Primary Interest:
Im up in Santa Barbara. Went out last few days after the storm. No beach cuts but neg. tides. Lots of clad , junk jewelry and trash galore.

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasn't an old dude swinging an old red Bounty Hunter was it? Ran into a guy that was running around with his coil about a foot off the sand swinging hard & fast in Newport around 15th St.:icon_scratch: Talked to him and he told me he was only looking for watches. He must've been doing something right he showed me a pocketful.

If any of you are close to Laguna Beach, give main beach a shot! Used to scour down to bedrock when the surf was coming from the NW. You may think I'm kidding, but the last time I was there we filled our pockets by mostly eyeballing. If I wasn't in the middle of a project, I'd be typing this as I was going down the 405!

Thursday I tried Aliso and the lifeguard kicked me off for safety reasons - he was right, it was risky - and no targets anyway. Then went to Main Beach Laguna and met a guy there already. No visible erosion and he wasnt finding much. Then I went to Corona Del Mar - also no targets or erosion. Seems my target area was the worst as guys found stuff at newport and above and SD county. Today who knows where I'll end up.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The law is: cover your holes, be nice to look-lou's, and don't wear speedo's. Do that and your golden. I've been hunting state beaches lately. State parks in all essence. I've had cops drive by on the beach, I've had lifeguards, and everyone in between. Most I get is a wave.

Sure jeepGold. You may be able to go without your Speedos but I'll keep mine on.:tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread