Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tuesday - Thursday looks to be like the perfect setup for some serious beach erosion. Some very serious surf could be following these series of storms coming in.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451763864.798179.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451763880.980956.jpg

Make sure the detector is charged and be safe out there.

Upvote 0

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out for an hour or so at Ocean beach SF! I'm a complete newbie at detecting and have never hunter a beach. I started up high away from the serf and came up with a quarter, 3 piennies and lots of trash. I was getting some general interference while searching in general mode on my Fors gold plus but wasn't bad. Then I decided to move down and hit just above the water line, maybe 10-20 yards. Found what looks like a really old oil filter about a foot down. Crumbling apart rusted but looked old. More patches of black sand down there and detector was going crazy so I put it into FST mode for the first time... Wasn't getting ANY targets...so I switched back to general mode dug a phantom target and then it was time to leave. Before I did though I scraped up a little of that black sand to test pan when I get home just to see. It was fun, whish I had more time before I had to leave but I did notice that the arm rest on my detector doesn't work well when making big consistent swings like you can in a beach. I never noticed it before but year there's not enough counter balance to keep it on your forarm. I had to push down in top of the display with my thumb...no beuno. I'll have to adjust it and see if that helps. Anyways it was fun as expected and a learning experience.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Don't worry to much. I found crap too. So little in fact that today (I have been burned out) I didn't go out at all even though the tide was looking pretty good. There's always next wks storm that's a-brew'n.

I was in Coronado in the pouring rain in a wet suit thinking that my aggressiveness will certainly pay off. The tide would pull out like a tsunami and Id walk out a bit KNOWING that she was gonna rush back in on me. Only about 2 ft of tide rushing back but WOW was that strong current.. It was certainly NOT safe. I stuck to the high tide lines and I knew that it was unproductive because it had been wiped out by detectorists (me) already .....
I have a little bit of guilt for not going out today because it was probably the day I'd find that 3k engagement ring but oh well.... Health first.

roberte94066

Jul 9, 2005
san bruno california
Detector(s) used
tesoro cibola, tesoro sandshark, teknetics t2, minelab sovereign gt, whites 5000/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mytimetoshine, please be careful! I might be wrong, but it is my understanding that Ocean Beach is part of the Golden Gate Nat'l Reserve, which does not permit metal detecting! If a park ranger spots you , they will confiscate your equipment and fine you.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Mytimetoshine, please be careful! I might be wrong, but it is my understanding that Ocean Beach is part of the Golden Gate Nat'l Reserve, which does not permit metal detecting! If a park ranger spots you , they will confiscate your equipment and fine you.

Roberte94066, what you are saying may be technically true (if he was within the GGNRA imaginary lines of one beach separating from the next ....). By "technically true", I mean if you asked enough rangers, so that they consulted their books, found something about cultural heritage, etc...

But oddly, you'd be hard-pressed to find any rangers who are apparently that versed in the minutia there. Ie.: you'd have to try hard to even get a warning. Eg.: to parade yourself in front of *just* the right ranger. Who perhaps fielded the "pressing question" in the past, so now he's "appraised". And as for confiscations and fines there at GGNRA beaches, since you're local to there, then do tell: Have you actually heard of fines and confiscations to anyone there @ those beaches ? If so, then perhaps you're right about the risk. I just have never heard of it. I have heard of guys who were honestly just not in-the-know, and .... oddly ... were never bothered. Imagine their surprise when they get on a forum, join a club, etc... and hear this info. In one case, a guy had gone a full year in front of anyone and everyone. :icon_scratch:

Last edited:

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well they obviously allow bonfires there...burnt wood everywhere but not MD?... pffff,

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
....burnt wood everywhere but not MD?... pffff,

You think they "allow" burnt wood everywhere ? On the contrary; If those beach bonfire people had gone and asked ahead of time: "Can I please leave my burnt wood everywhere?", they TOO would have been told "no". Then they TOO could start forums lamenting their lack of freedoms.

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose to get the good stuff I'm supposed to be out there in that. No way! I guess the trick is to sit there in your chair drinking multiple warm drinks until the water moves out? Aliso had areas like this too but a really drastic slope into the water plus the occasional slammer/then sucker wave. I think although this was eating up the shore the heavy stuff was quick to make its way to sea.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread