Kids

Tenderfoot

Mar 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should have know better than to go to a popular beach in a holiday weekend except it's calm while the other beaches are rough. Wasn't there 10 minutes before 4 kids literally surrounded me and would not leave. I dug 2 targets and they were actually putting their hands into my scoop before I could shake it out. After that I hit many targets but would not dig assuming that after a short time they old get bored and leave. Never happened. Parents nowhere to be seen. I finally left the beach. With one or two kids I have often let them listen to the tones in the headset and help me dig. These kids were beyond. I couldn't even swing as they were so close. Last hing I need is for one to step on the coil and damage it. Don't mind me-just venting

Upvote 0

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I size up people and situations quickly. So I can come across as friendly guy or unfriendly guy as the situation dictates. Kids or adults don't matter.

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well , at least they didn't grab for your Glock (see related thread)...

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Not uncommon, it you can just head out into the water. Works every time.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sometimes that happens to me, too Tenderfoot, but this past weekend I met the cutest little guy( accompanied by his dad )out on the beach with a child's detector I think it was a baby "Bounty Hunter"

I approached him and congratulated him on his Birthday present and said "Now , you are a member of the metal detectors' club"..he was about 7 yrs. old,looked at me intently, and asked "What's that?" I had to think fast so I said that it was a group of metal detectorists who love to metal detect, and who help new detectorists; then I gave him a few pointers on how to read the beach and reminded him to keep the coil to the sand and fill up the holes that he will be digging. He and his dad went on their way, and about 10 minutes later, he came back to me and asked "but where do I find the gold'?:laughing7:

"ya gotta be patient" was my response; "yah, he said...all I found so far was a bottle cap"; I showed him the one that I also found....and that ended our encounter; he was such a little cutie!

Lorraine

Last edited:

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should have know better than to go to a popular beach in a holiday weekend except it's calm while the other beaches are rough. Wasn't there 10 minutes before 4 kids literally surrounded me and would not leave. I dug 2 targets and they were actually putting their hands into my scoop before I could shake it out. After that I hit many targets but would not dig assuming that after a short time they old get bored and leave. Never happened. Parents nowhere to be seen. I finally left the beach. With one or two kids I have often let them listen to the tones in the headset and help me dig. These kids were beyond. I couldn't even swing as they were so close. Last hing I need is for one to step on the coil and damage it. Don't mind me-just venting
the next time that happen dig a target where nothing is and tell the kids there is a Quarter in the hole and who ever find it can have it.then go on hunting with no kids.

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The scoop doubles as a club lol. I do the same as ron. Let them dig for a bogus target. I did have a kid grab a 10k ring from me and bolt to his dad. Lucky for me, I got it back.

OP
OP
Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

Mar 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fortunately I can go back another time. Thanks for the input everyone

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

THATS WHEN I DEFINITELY GO DEEP - THATS WHEN MASK AND SNORKEL ALSO COMES IN HANDY - I PUT MY FACE DOWN - AND MAKE LIKE I CANT HEAR THEM
AND WILL TAKE STUFF OUT UNDER WATER AND PUT RIGHT IN MY SCOOP

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with the above just head out to deeper waters, most kids will stay with in there parents range.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dislike intensely curious adults, more so than kids. In the internet age, kids get bored rather quickly. I have had adults in the Caribbean tell me that the next piece of gold found belongs to them. My best response is to say that I am finding nothing and calling it quits, then move to the shore and have a drink and see if he stays around. Some of these guys think they own the beach and probably do for trafficking purposes, so the day may be done. With kids, for sure go deep but some little water rats will put on a mask and swim circles. For sure, treasure hunting is an attraction to children. The mention of an angry water snake has helped move away both kids and adults a few times. I no longer tell anybody that I am looking for coins and especially not jewelry. I now tell them that an old lady lost her fake teeth. Other than that, there is no easy answer. Some people have no manners.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just slow down to glacier speed....they get bored watching me barely move and not finding anything, and then they move on to more exciting things elsewhere.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well usually I allow the ladies to follow me, unless the group is over ten

with kids and men I tell them that in case I sneeze they should run and cover their mouths because I have this disease.....

TKgal

Feb 15, 2015
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some days this happens to me in my own yard, but I can't send them away. They are mine. :tongue3:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well usually I allow the ladies to follow me, unless the group is over ten

with kids and men I tell them that in case I sneeze they should run and cover their mouths because I have this disease.....
That may work, until they realize that mental illness isn't contagious! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread