Looking for suggestions for a new Scoop.

stewielouie

May 14, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
MXT, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok water hunters, I need some suggestions for a new scoop. I have been hunting a lake that in some places my power scoop works fine, but there are a few places in the lake where the bottom is a hard packed clay. And I have some places I am going to branch out this upcoming year, that I am sure will be rocky as well. I can get my scoop to cut into it, by placing it flat and ratcheting it back and forth while putting pressure on the top. Not really how I want to use my scoop, re welded it twice last year. I need one that I would preferably like to place in front of me, and drive in with my foot. I looked at a Trex, online. But not sure what I want or truly need.

One other question, I cant see the bottom either. Waters always cloudy, and tips on moving that detector out of the way and setting the scoop on the right spot?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Pics of the scoops you use for your finds would be great also!!

Whats a post without pics, here are a few of the rings from last year.

Thanks, HH

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_0767.jpg
    IMG_0767.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 162
Upvote 0

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm using two that I purchased from Ukraine via ebay. Both are very good quality... the item number of the most recent one is 221956167146

There are some other scoops there in the $50 range which look similar although I have never tried those.

You mentioned prying up rocks though, I'm not sure I'd try that with these scoops. They are sturdy but I try not to crank on them too hard... I prefer to take smaller scoops vs buying new scoops.

Ugly J

Greenie
Jul 12, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
E trac X-1, SEF 8x6
Excalibur II
Equinox 800
ATX
AT pro
White's 5900 Dipro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stealth scoops are almost indestructible. I'll break a handle before the scoop fails.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stealth scoops are almost indestructible. I'll break a handle before the scoop fails.
I've actually done just the opposite! I've broke the scoop twice (and may have to have it fixed again fairly soon), but the wooden handle is holding up like a champ! Sunspot will repair or replace free of charge (except for shipping one way). Mine have never completely broken to where I couldn't use it. The first one had the early design with the flat bar stock for gussets. Those cracked, and when I returned it, they gave me a new scoop of the later design with the round gussets. The second repair was needed for a split in the lower lip area from the tip rearward an inch or so. They just welded it back up. It's getting a small crack around there again, but it's still working fine. Beaches with rocks, shell, and cobble are hard on any scoop, but, this one seems to hold up the best of the ones I've used.

drafter

Greenie
Jan 15, 2016
Florida East Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Ctx 3030--Tesoro UMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using the Stealth 720i for a couple of years and love it. I beach hunt and salt water hunt and found the 720i can go through heavy shell with no problem. As where to put the scoop. First I always use rubber sole and toe wadding boots. I put mut toe against the coil then place the scoop at my toe and back it up about 3 inches. Works well for me.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
You bet! Let the scoop do the work, forcing and excessive prying will shorten the life of your scoop.

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just ordered a Stealth 720ix hybrid with super rugged package today, can't wait to get it. Seems to be the same or similar design of the stavr in the ukraine, but I much prefer to buy American

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my stealth 720ix yesterday, this thing is sweet! You can tell the welds are high quality.Excellent design and craftsmanship. Lifetime warranty.

JC Florida

Dec 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have a Stealth 920 with a carbon fiber handle. It is a bit pricey but I love it. I got the Super rugged option. It helps a lot with hard pack and I got the rear hybrid option. I haven't lost a small ear ring since. As for murky water I just put my foot next to the coil then position the scoop next to my foot. Not an exact science but it usually works out.
Thanks and good luck

CladiatorMax

Nov 1, 2012
Garden Grove, California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Sovereign GT / Garrett Carrot / Stavr Scoops
Primary Interest:
Stealth 920, T-Rex 9, and Stavr MONSTRIK-9 are all great options. I would recommend pairing any of these with a SunSpot Carbon Fiber handle. Happy Hunting.

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Stealth 920 extreme it's awesome can't leave home without it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CladiatorMax

Nov 1, 2012
Garden Grove, California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Sovereign GT / Garrett Carrot / Stavr Scoops
Primary Interest:
I would recommend the stealth also.

Just wish the scoop maker I had would go into production. I've had this titanium scoop for over three years now with more then 2000 hours use and it finally gave out.

Called Greg up and said come on by and pick up what you need, very easy to replace the parts and not buy a new scoop...

New shell..................................................old broken...should take me less then a hour to fix.. no welds

View attachment 1259703 View attachment 1259704

OBN, sorry to here the Diablo finally broke down. We were all excited and hopeful Greg would put these out. I've been watching you, Max, and Brian out in NJ use these in complete envy. Considering how much you all have put those through, it has proven itself to be a worthy scoop, I hope that gets put back together nicely.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Stavra scoops... "the one and only" LoL

Made some fantastic digs with them ....

205791IMG0725.jpg

530797goldbar1.jpg

With tailored carbon handle with colored fiberglass coating and a "kayak natural grip"

883014naturalkayakpadgripstyle.jpg

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ukraine ebay scoop, $105 shipped. I'm a year into it, no complaints.

Attachments

• scoop.jpg
    scoop.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 83

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado