Ha ha frozen peoples of the north, part 2

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I open up my freezer to get out a filet of Grouper and realize-

Hey! People live in the same climate as my frozen fish, what the...!?!?!?

So, off to the beach I went. 72F. Calm waters, no breeze. News alerts are talking about 2' of snow in DC. They shut down some airports in NC for tomorrow, and the snow isn't even there yet.

Nokomis Beach, FL. Kick off the shoes, fire up the machine, tune out the world.

Beats shoveling the same stuff you can buy flavored at the 7-11 in a big cup...

I stop at my local beach watering hole on the way back. I ask for a Sundowner with extra ice and toast the frozen peoples of the great white north.

IMG_5407.jpg

IMG_5416.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where's the smiley shooting the bird when you need one? As I sit sipping on my hot coffee :coffee2: in Ohio.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Cheers Bud!
May you get an itchy heat rash , flea bites ,sunburn , step on a pop tab ,loose your shaker of salt , get pooped on by a gull , wrinkle profusely from the suns evil rays ,
have children scream and run away at your approach yelling "run , run it's the big dipper!".

May tourists over run your solitude and pee near your boat ,teach your pets foul drunk sailor language the first time they hear it , and cut you off at the buffet.

Ha! Great pic. Offshore breeze?

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL...up your's.
Jim

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not miss the northern snow! Loco-Digger can keep that crap up there in Ohio! :laughing7:

Moved out of the snow belt, where I lived my whole life, until about two years ago! Don't miss the frozen car, shoveling, working in it,etc... The people further up have it worse!

I do miss driving in it at night when it really came down hard and they told everyone to stay off the roads though! :laughing7:

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why be cold? Serious question. Lol

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Why be cold? Serious question. Lol

No poisonous creatures year round. Ants and spiders take some months off.
Less people.
Slower bacterial growth.
Farts don't have odor, unless you scrape one up/off and toss it in a fire.
Natural refrigeration right outside.
An annual lesson in delayed gratification.
Fresh air.
Schnapps have a reason.
A wonderful way to learn about science through freezing various parts of ones anatomy.

What sensible use is there for a hot tub outside of a cold climate?
022-3003.jpg

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
well been to fl many times for work and a few for my kids on vacation, but i freakin hate it, cant wait to get outta there, took an early flight one time even. traffic, people 24 hour heat. I guess its all what your used to, but I prefer Minnesota, got tons of winter hobbies, life is better here imo

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Minnesota eh?

I was working in International Falls a couple of years ago.

My company sent in a rescue team for me when I set off my EPIRB. The mosquitoes had drug me off into the woods and were in the process of sacrificing me as an offering to the Tick King.

It is beautiful country though and all the deer live inside the city limits of International Falls.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a low blow 8-)

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like the monster of all snowstorms hitting the states soon is going to miss me all together now. Thank god. Already got plenty enough snow and ice ruining the hunt already! [emoji106]
Hope I didn't just jinx myself? 🤔

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I open up my freezer to get out a filet of Grouper and realize-

Hey! People live in the same climate as my frozen fish, what the...!?!?!?

So, off to the beach I went. 72F. Calm waters, no breeze. News alerts are talking about 2' of snow in DC. They shut down some airports in NC for tomorrow, and the snow isn't even there yet.

Nokomis Beach, FL. Kick off the shoes, fire up the machine, tune out the world.

Beats shoveling the same stuff you can buy flavored at the 7-11 in a big cup...

I stop at my local beach watering hole on the way back. I ask for a Sundowner with extra ice and toast the frozen peoples of the great white north.

View attachment 1263324

View attachment 1263325

you sir..are an EVIL man....sighs

Ag

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minnesota sucks - I should know, I live here!!!! Freeze for 5 to 6 months and the rest your are mauled by knats, horse flies, mosquitos, ticks with Lyme's or so dang humid you can't breathe. I counted last year - there was actually only 12 really good days. All the others had issues. Yes - Ruxpin, I'm leaving as soon as possible, it's all yours!!!!!

Funny GIB - We have a lake called Nokomis that has 2 feet of ice and you can drive your car on it..........

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
And, you have a Minelab CTX 3030; boy an I jealous! Although I am happy with my Excalibur... Have a question though: why are you digging up so much junk if you have a machine that can identify 2 targets at once? Although I do dig the vast majority of nonferrous targets on the beach, I also try to ignore the clearly aluminum targets, although some still get dug in questionable sounds.
I agree that Florida is preferable to Ohio in the winter months, for MDing, but the native people in Florida are Nuts! A painter here in Florida said that it is because people's brains get fried during the Summer months leaving a big empty cavity in the head where the brain typically is located for use during the rest of the year. My solution - stay on the beach as long as possible detecting each day.

Dagger Woods

Apr 29, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Int'l
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, some folks are just mean to the bone... :laughing7:

Anyway, Florida is only really liveable this time of year. Then you get 10 months of running from one AC'd spot to the next....

So I hear, anyway... :tongue3:

DW

Last edited:

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Minnesota eh?

I was working in International Falls a couple of years ago.

My company sent in a rescue team for me when I set off my EPIRB. The mosquitoes had drug me off into the woods and were in the process of sacrificing me as an offering to the Tick King.

It is beautiful country though and all the deer live inside the city limits of International Falls.

yea man, international falls is awesome, lots of good fishing hiking snowmobile trails. love it up there. a few of my other favs are detroit lakes, brainerd, bemidji, park rapids and duluth. we have lots of space and scenery. Its truly beautiful here if you want to avoid most people and like to be outdoors like me. If your ever back in MN message me, I can either recommend some cool stuff and places close to you or we can get together and dig a few holes HH bro

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
And, you have a Minelab CTX 3030; boy an I jealous! Although I am happy with my Excalibur... Have a question though: why are you digging up so much junk if you have a machine that can identify 2 targets at once? .

I'm still learning about the 3030, this is my 10th hunt with it. The bobby pin never registered. It was a above a quarter and never made a sound.

I dig funny sounding stuff as I get better with it. With my GTI2500 you had to dig aluminum to get the gold... still working on this new machine.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minnesota sucks - I should know, I live here!!!! Freeze for 5 to 6 months and the rest your are mauled by knats, horse flies, mosquitos, ticks with Lyme's or so dang humid you can't breathe. I counted last year - there was actually only 12 really good days. All the others had issues. Yes - Ruxpin, I'm leaving as soon as possible, it's all yours!!!!!

Funny GIB - We have a lake called Nokomis that has 2 feet of ice and you can drive your car on it..........
That's why I like living in San Diego, heaters and air conditioners are just a "nice option"! I just couldn't see living somewhere I needed gills to breath, wear 6 layers of clothing just to go get the mail, or drown myself in deet to fight off the state bird!

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
living in central new york in the middle of the finger lakes and south of ontario we get some blistering cold air and more than enough snow, but I still wouldn't trade it for florida :laughing7: . I can still fish all year long granted it requires more effort and heat, but the cold water makes them fish taste very delicious...oh and no poisonous critters.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope a seagull poops on your head!.Just joking -HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread