Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've hunted practically all east coast Florida beaches...including Daytona many times. I use nothing but the Stealth 920iX or the 720. I prefer the 920 for its wider basket but both are excellent.

SocalJim

Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stainless scoops are nice in the water the heaviest are 2mm or 1/16th in. thick. Most of them work fine just buy one that fits there's no sense buying a monster scoop only to find you can only handle half the scoop full of wet sand. I've seen quite a few used that way.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the water a Stealth 720...In the wet sand RTG aluminum 6 inch.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
720i everywhere is what I prefer. It empties out better up on wet sand than round scoops or turtle shell style scoops.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JUST DONT GO CHEAP - buy a good one that will last
will PM you article I did on scoops

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take their advice and buy a good scoop. $200+/- sounds like a lot of money for a scoop but you can sell that $200 scoop years later for $150 all day long if your tired of it or decide hobby isn't for you.

Buy the biggest scoop you can get, min of 8-10 inches, when your in the surf trying to recover a target you want to be able to get it in 1st or 2nd scoop before the next swell or wave pushes you off your target...... I use the beach brute myself and a Stealth 790i...Beach Brute is 10 inches wide, 6 inches high and 12 inches deep, I can left a full bucket with ease, but I'm only 67 so that helps..:laughing7:

OP
OP
surfhunter

surfhunter

Sep 25, 2011
FL NATIVE
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark+ Excal.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the advise, Casper I enjoyed the articles, I ended up reading them all. I'm not to worried about when I'm in the water, It's this hard concrete sand we have up here in Daytona area. It's funny because the sand turn soft in Ormond just to the north, and soft in Bethune beach, just to the south. It so compact you can drive on it.

I'm thinking of making another scoop with some ideas I have. My neighbor is a journey-men welder so I can have him weld something up. I'll post what I end up with.

Thanks again from....... Ponce Inlet

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We used to smoke up our tires on Daytona, just like asphalt. The beach was the drag strip before the speedway. Very unique beach.

Where I'm at there two types of beach, rock and sand. RTG I use in the rock. It's a smaller scoop and can take a beating. It would work good on Daytona and down by the inlet. It wouldn't be my go-to in the surf though.

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive got the RTG 6 inch Pro Aluminum...its light and easy to handle out of the water...I should have got the same scoop with the added stainless steel lip because mine is wearing down...I hear that the stainless tip cuts into the sand better too...its only 10 bucks more than the regular version.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread