🥇 BANNER Unusual find this morning @-120ft depth...a -30 BC find during scuba detection

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi guys,

I was out this morning for a quick dive with my new Ebinger UW 722C PI detector and I had a few very very deep signals. To be honest they where so deep I couldn't dig them as I was diving on my own down 120/130 feet (I know it's bad :nono:). Diving configuration Rebreather Nitrox 32/68 gas mix with 50% Oxygen poni for spare & deco.

I was digging what appears to be "clother signals" for this detector and look what I've uncovered: an eyeball partial wine Amphora which appears to be from -30 BC -> +30 Period.

It looks it is originating from south spain / portugal. Feel free to ask questions :-)
I have shot with my Gopro..will push the video on my Youtub channel when I'll have time.But I have to arrange an other dive with mates to help me retrieving the metal objects I've located but was unable to uncover.

917711amphora2.jpg

282411amphora5.jpg

475171amphora6.jpg

473038amphora7.jpg

742935amphora8.jpg

549887amphora9.jpg

713633amphora10.jpg

948858sentiersousmarinld.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
If you want to know more about hyperbaric influence and saturation, you can go to visit the COMEX studies which is one of the most advance organisation in this field. Located in Marseille, south of France it is "the place" where we are all trained by instructors who are retired from COMEX deep dive school. Cousteau has always used Comex ressources at his time.

There is a re-introduction of Nitrogen because of Helium as a too low viscosity from a certain depth and to avoid High Pressure syndromes. I like to go one per year to the annual conference of Deep diving accident (TEK) with all the medical and research staff of the French navy / Comex and staff from hospitals running an Hyperbaric chanmber.

Research have been stopped almost 25 years ago, and a few studies are now going on following professionals divers using saturated dives, and the probem they face when they shift from He 0² mix to regular Air mix when they get out of the hyperbaric desaturation chamber.

100% of my mates have served as combat divers / deep divers in sub then where employed by Comex for offshore activities. I'm the only one to come from the recreational diving, that's why I'm the probably the worse of them LoL

have a look to one of the first movie I did a few years ago on my mates diving from - 350 to -450ft on wrecks.

Crispin, a few European countries have "special regulations" regarding depth / air mix ... that are NOT APPLICABLE by PADI & co

Last edited:
OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I would like to thanks all TNET members including the Mods for this banner nomination.

It's always a pleasure to post finds on TNET. I would like to dedicate this banner to Casper, OBN & Bill from Laching for their daily contribution to this section.

Thanks to all

graphics-champagne-893085.gif

FM

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Froggy that Video is James Bond Material! Love it!!

And Thank You for Sharing...:thumbsup:

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure James bond has the same look LoL .... we look a bit embarrassed with all our cylinders and rebreathers

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FM,

Congratulations on the banner....it's well deserved my friend.

Regards + HH

Bill

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there Frog Master, congrats on making the Banner:headbang:. Diving finds are rare up on the top, sure nice to see yours up there. Now go back and find the rest of the amphora...just joking:laughing7: Congrats again,
ZDD

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations Alexandre.... Your 2nd Banner!!!:occasion14:

Can't wait to see your next amazing find....

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
All my mates are on vacation, they will be back at the end of the week.... digging the forums is funny but I prefer to dig the seabed LoL

Thanks Dave... the most difficult is the first one :tongue3:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First off, congratulations on your amazing 30BC partial wine Amphora find and on making the BANNER! :occasion14:

Scuba diving is something I've always wanted to try, thanks for all the pics of you in the ocean too, very inspiring! :thumbsup:

Best of luck to you
Alexandre,
David

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
First off, congratulations on your amazing 30BC partial wine Amphora find and on making the BANNER! :occasion14:

Scuba diving is something I've always wanted to try, thanks for all the pics of you in the ocean too, very inspiring! :thumbsup:

Best of luck to you,
David

Why not try it ? it a very good extension of our hobby....

Thanks

FM+++++++

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is in my top 10 of threads viewed since joining the site in 2015. What an amazing combination of history, a totally different approach to detecting than I'm familiar with, and incredible level of technical sophistication. Just awesome, and so glad other folks got this find up on the banner.

Herr Froggy: Sie sind jetzt mein Held! English ist Ihre dritte Sprache?? Und mit so viele deutliche techniche worter...es ist unglaublich, und sehr demutigend. Ich bin nur ein weiterer Amerikaner, mit meiner eignen sprache kampfen. Aber Ich lerne gern Deutsch! Viel gluck auf dem Meeresgrund!

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
This is in my top 10 of threads viewed since joining the site in 2015. What an amazing combination of history, a totally different approach to detecting than I'm familiar with, and incredible level of technical sophistication. Just awesome, and so glad other folks got this find up on the banner.

Herr Froggy: Sie sind jetzt mein Held! English ist Ihre dritte Sprache?? Und mit so viele deutliche techniche worter...es ist unglaublich, und sehr demutigend. Ich bin nur ein weiterer Amerikaner, mit meiner eignen sprache kampfen. Aber Ich lerne gern Deutsch! Viel gluck auf dem Meeresgrund!

:notworthy: English in here :laughing9: otherwise Mods won't be happy LoL

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Major congrats on the banner Froggy, but man, what a rush to find an ancient amphora top like that! Wow, I can't imagine the thrill.

I use to dive years ago, never did with a detector but I'll bet it's a major coolness factor where you have the opportunity in a seabed with a lot of wrecks and history. Keep the finds coming!

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
All my material is ready....just waiting for the wind to calm down.... I want to go back to this place and MD around to see if there is gold...

stavr

Nov 9, 2008
Odessa
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS & GQAS v.2 Eric Foster &Eureka Gold & PI Dolphin (HM 9μS)
I would think amphora from Rhodes (Greece)or Kos
3-2 BC

Last edited:

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Frogmaster, that is a fantastic find! ....and such an interesting , informative post!

I want to vote "Banner" , but cannot find the word to "click " on it...the screen is so big on my computer, I am missing the link:icon_scratch:

Lorraine

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Frogmaster, that is a fantastic find! ....and such an interesting , informative post!

I want to vote "Banner" , but cannot find the word to "click " on it...the screen is so big on my computer, I am missing the link:icon_scratch:

Lorraine

Lorraine thanks a lot :notworthy:

I can see on your avatar... your a blonde? :laughing7:

Maybe you cannot find the little red box "nominate Banner" ....because it is already a Banner :laughing9:

Don't know in the US but in Europe we have many jokes on girls with blond hairs... but be sure I'm just kidding Lorraine :cat:

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi frogmaster,

I'm confident that, of course, you are kidding; yes, we have the "blonde" jokes here , also; that's why I wear a hat when detecting, then I remove it when I'm showing the gold that I found .:laughing7:

Sorry I missed voting for Banner...you sure deserve it with that ancient find!

Keep up the great detecting!

Lorraine

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread