๐Ÿฅ‡ BANNER Unusual find this morning @-120ft depth...a -30 BC find during scuba detection

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi guys,

I was out this morning for a quick dive with my new Ebinger UW 722C PI detector and I had a few very very deep signals. To be honest they where so deep I couldn't dig them as I was diving on my own down 120/130 feet (I know it's bad :nono:). Diving configuration Rebreather Nitrox 32/68 gas mix with 50% Oxygen poni for spare & deco.

I was digging what appears to be "clother signals" for this detector and look what I've uncovered: an eyeball partial wine Amphora which appears to be from -30 BC -> +30 Period.

It looks it is originating from south spain / portugal. Feel free to ask questions :-)
I have shot with my Gopro..will push the video on my Youtub channel when I'll have time.But I have to arrange an other dive with mates to help me retrieving the metal objects I've located but was unable to uncover.

917711amphora2.jpg

282411amphora5.jpg

475171amphora6.jpg

473038amphora7.jpg

742935amphora8.jpg

549887amphora9.jpg

713633amphora10.jpg

948858sentiersousmarinld.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is crazy deep to be diving alone? And I thought I had it bad diving with a "Hookamax" in eight ft of water! Lol
Congrats on a banner find and by the sounds of it more to come!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey you get out of my dream!!! Wow detecting under water with scuba gear that sounds like a blast very nice find. Let us know what the other object your going back for is.Thanks for posing Awesome

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey you get out of my dream!!! Wow detecting under water with scuba gear that sounds like a blast very nice find. Let us know what the other object your going back for is.Thanks for posing Awesome

Hope to go back tomorrow morning with mates (trying to contact them at the present time), with the sea bed you can have 3ft of sand in a one night time, so as soon you go back, better it is ;-)

Last edited:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find ! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Michigan USA not a lot of history her. The ocean which covers more earth than land is gotta be full of history. I see this guy Mel Fisher and The Wells finding Spanish galleons Are you kidding me"Im happy to find a mecrcury dime or wheat cent after hours of hunting. I cant even imagine. then you have all thesse alien looking fish to contend with I guess you would need to know what they are and and if there a danger. I would give anything to be doing that. Have a great time finding more Ill be watching for your posts

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its going to be 45 today and 50 tomorrow unseasonably warm but Im going stir crazy I got up early to go detecting I think I might have to rent an Auger to dig with hopefully in a few hours the ground will thaw.When I was younger I got a Archeology book given to me and there was a picture of people pulling up really old artifacts from the dead sea and from then on it always fascinated me how old some stuff in the ocean/sea are. Id think it would be kinda spooky in the water being dark and all the critters (NESSIE)the movie jaws doesn't help either I guess. I read an article about how not to long ago someone found the two man japanese sub in pearl harbor area with the two crew still inside ERIE. Sorry about the rant just fascinating to read and see your finds

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Its going to be 45 today and 50 tomorrow unseasonably warm but Im going stir crazy I got up early to go detecting I think I might have to rent an Auger to dig with hopefully in a few hours the ground will thaw.When I was younger I got a Archeology book given to me and there was a picture of people pulling up really old artifacts from the dead sea and from then on it always fascinated me how old some stuff in the ocean/sea are. Id think it would be kinda spooky in the water being dark and all the critters (NESSIE)the movie jaws doesn't help either I guess. I read an article about how not to long ago someone found the two man japanese sub in pearl harbor area with the two crew still inside ERIE. Sorry about the rant just fascinating to read and see your finds

Treasure hunting is fascinating everywhere, and we are all kids with this wonderful and diversified hobby. I wish you can find something of interest for you soon :-) Take care and thanks for your warm comment.

Let me post you a some photos of various scuba detection, I love to hunt blings, Antiques...

210448minelabexcaliburscubaunderwater.jpg

438736ctx3030scuba1.jpg

434335ctx3030scuba2.jpg

257238frogmasterctx3030diver2.jpg

623961frogmasterctx2.jpg

589365118.jpg

Last edited:

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is totally awesome. Now this item certainly was the deepest I have ever seen posted.

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have some submarines, airplanes and boats wreck parts that I can post :-) I dive down -420ft a few times per year and rarely surface without something in my hands LoL

Always try to founds some new wrecks also... here US Air Force plane from WWII almost 215ft down (regular Air mixture limit)

289886dornier241fm.jpg

854924dornier244fm.jpg

210497dornier243fm.jpg

751972dornier242fm.jpg

Last edited:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find, and mind-blowing old. Although it sounds strange, solo dives are done regularly where I grew up. Bayman, as we call them here, dive for lobster, conch, and scallops daily. I used to be one myself, doing solo dives frequently.....But never to almost 5 atmospheres. I kept it under 3 and usually at 2.

Anyway, GREAT FIND!! I bet there's more there!

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible and very interesting. You have my curiousity hackles up on what could still be down there. Congrats and can't wait for more....

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to see old plane and submarine parts wow that's something I only dream about amazing. Have you ever indentified any of those plane or submarine parts as to where they came from ect have you ever found skeleton parts from the people who were in those I know this sounds weird it is just fascinating Tommy

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find, and mind-blowing old. Although it sounds strange, solo dives are done regularly where I grew up. Bayman, as we call them here, dive for lobster, conch, and scallops daily. I used to be one myself, doing solo dives frequently.....But never to almost 5 atmospheres. I kept it under 3 and usually at 2.

Anyway, GREAT FIND!! I bet there's more there!

You are totally right Scrappy! Let me just present you the situation from another point of view: even if it's not my occupation, I have several scuba instructor certification, especially in Advance Trimix with rebreather (Megalodon from Innerspace). Beeing an instructor means you will secure the dive...not sure the "students" will be able to help me in case of an accident... I dive alone down to Nitrox floor (approx 42m /160ft with 1,6 ppOยฒ max )...I'm getting old now.... I'm well trained and do apnea 4 times per week in the open sea.

I'll try to get back there with mates ASAP...but most of them are spear-gun hunters and its "fishing season"...

My Mates Spear fishing...

Last edited:

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, that's amazing.
I guess it really pays to hunt deep.

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, that's amazing.
I guess it really pays to hunt deep.

You can find amphoras fragments at 15ft down...there is no rule! Where I scuba detect in the Med sea we think there is a wreck (ANTIQUE = -500 BC -> 400, OLD 500 -> 1600 or recent 1700 -> 2016) every half a mile on the seabed :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
One Amazing, Beautiful find Mr. Froggy!! 30BC I have to Vote Banner Big time on this!!

Let see more Banner Votes Guys!! How often does one dig a 2050 year old piece of Art!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread